GR-55 - Joe Satraini

Started by Jim Williams, September 07, 2011, 04:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

Recently Kostas put up a real nice patch for the VG-99. It's his Joe Satriani patch and it sounds real cool. I made a GR-55 version of this patch but have not yet tested it. I don't know how it will sound but I have had some sauces translating VG-99 to GR-55. I hope you all like it as much as the original patch.

CTL Pedal= Chorus switch
EXP Pedal (Switch off)= pickup selection
EXP Pedal (Switch on)= Cry Wha Wha

With the Translation I had to omit the over drive but you can play with the Gain on the amp to achieve the same saturation. Thanks to Gumtown for making an editor to help with the conversion. I sometimes forget to credit all the V-Guitarists from the forum that help to contribute and make this possible.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

2ndClemens

This is just an Organ Sound on my GR-55... (?)

Jim Williams

I have used this patch and there isn't even a organ selected in the patch. I tested loading it with Roland's library program and the only thing that changed when I clicked the preview button was the name of the patch. use gumtowns editor and your results will be better.

2ndClemens

Ah, thanks and sorry. It only changed the name and the organ sound was there already from the default user patch.
I can't use gumtowns editor though. It always crashes on startup (Vista 64) and none of the suggestions like changing install location, user rights, ownership was working.

But at least now I know, why some of the user uploaded patches sound so strange on my GR...  ;)

Jim Williams

Have you downloaded the latest version of gumtowns editor? He is updating it all the time and I think there some threads on the topic.

guitarstevo

How does one find this editor?

gumtown

Quote from: 2ndClemens on October 23, 2011, 03:10:19 AM
Ah, thanks and sorry. It only changed the name and the organ sound was there already from the default user patch.
I can't use gumtowns editor though. It always crashes on startup (Vista 64) and none of the suggestions like changing install location, user rights, ownership was working.

But at least now I know, why some of the user uploaded patches sound so strange on my GR...  ;)
Try the latest version 20111026 (26 October) as it has resolved the crash issue.

How does one find this editor?
download link in my signature below
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

2ndClemens

Wow, it's working now! Very nice piece of software and a lot of patches are included already. Very handy, I'm having a great time right now.
Satraini-Patch sounds more like Joe now except he seems to have broken his fingers.  ;) 
Thanks so much, both of you!

Ande El

Is the editor for mac and pc?

aliensporebomb

Yes.  I installed the Gumtown editor on my Mac so I could inspect GR-55 patches to cross-convert them over to my VG-99. 

It works really nice.  Roland should ship it as the official editor IMO. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumtown

Quote from: aalev123 on November 10, 2011, 02:43:05 PM
Is the editor for mac and pc?
A version each for Windows, two versions for Mac Tiger 32bit and Lion 64bit, and Linux.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Jim Williams

I found that I prefer to use the windows version in Linux. I have Wine installed to use windows applications. I have made the jump to Linux and think Ubuntu studio is much better than windows 7.