VG-99 - Demo of "Eating the Tape" - really strange...

Started by aliensporebomb, May 29, 2015, 06:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

whippinpost91850

Bill Ruppert

Kevin M

ffata

Holy S#%*!!

That is out of the ballpark!
I cringed at the thought of placing some old (but still precious) cassettes into my still old boombox and hearing that sound.

supernicd

That is pretty cool. :)

Are you playing live guitar or are you running some other input source into the 1/4" input and mangling it?
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

aliensporebomb

Here we go:

Get out your guitar!  Plug into your VG! 

QuoteTwo instances of Synth PWM model with compression on each instance, Mod Pan, Stereo 2 Chorus with modulated reverb and a lot of gain (GK levels set to 100).

Set up an oscillating room fan to blow on the strings to get the weird hissy noise in the intro. Run your hands up and down the strings while occasionally playing muted chords. Run your hands up and down the strings while slightly muted for tape ripping chaos!  Feel free to go crazy if you like.

New demo attached:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/vg-99-pods-ripping-tapes

Note: guaranteed to lose gigs or drive people nuts.  It kind of sounds like people rubbing wet hands on an inflated balloon.

How did I stumble across this one?  I was programming multiple sounds last night and combined the settings to two different ones I did and it sounded like this!  The key is the super high gain and the fan blowing on the strings keeping them moving so just moving your hands a little makes a hellacious racket!

Brak(E)man

I might land an extra gig thanx to this sound ;)

Tack så mycket !

- Lydia Lunch

gumbo

Ha!

You just reminded me that I once sold a car with the remains of the 8-track tape still stuck in the player...   :P

Congratulations..if I could think of an award to profess, I would.. ::)

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

aliensporebomb

My Ship Horn patch probably got "Most Useless Patch of 2008".  This might get "Most Useless Patch of 2015".

Bill Ruppert

NO! This stuff is brilliant!
It made my ears jump and feel and so happy.

Quote from: aliensporebomb on May 30, 2015, 01:45:05 PM
My Ship Horn patch probably got "Most Useless Patch of 2008".  This might get "Most Useless Patch of 2015".

Brak(E)man

I don't know what I'm doing wrong
but I can't get any sound from this patch at all
I'm not using FC300 just an expression pedal
but the patches you've uploaded before
have all worked. I just changed the volume to the expression etc.

Admittingly I'm super tired so I might just missed something real obvious
But help I really want that patch to work

- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

FC-300 required!   ;D

Well, that's what I've got.  Bring up the editor and see if you can't find a possible reason.  I took a quick look but took most of the day cleaning and reorganizing my studio so nothing obvious came to mind.

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

found it
simple enough of a problem
i thought of it yesterday but forgot
to tired I guess
the cosm guitar volume and the normal pickup volume was set to zero
on both channels :)
what's the chance of that

the patch sounds great !
on my way to the train to go to 4 days rehearsal
I will make use of this sound !

and I've made some adjustments to my " metheny/frisell/abercrombie 300 sound
I'll post a soundclip when I have time

- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

Please do.

The one thing I noticed about this sound is it sounds a bit like the sound in the song by the death metal band "Stormtrooper's of Death" called "What's that Noise?"
Where they basically torture their lead singer by adding a sound like that tape ripping sound every few seconds and the band won't stop playing and....well it's best listened to actually:

Note: foul language!

aliensporebomb

Funny update: a friend tried this on his 99 with his fretless guitar and it was even more seasick.  Good fun.

DreamTheory

This is what I call "The New Distortion." If you think about what the pioneers of electric guitar did, it started out as "unwanted noise" and became a carefully controlled form of art. All the burps and unpredictable self oscillations that can be coaxed out of gear are sometimes extremely interesting. In the digital age they have a different character. I love it when people are using gear in ways you are not "supposed" to.

Just simply jacking up parameters on virtual stompboxes can make strange things happen, but I also like simple physical modifications like your fan idea. Glass slide adds all sorts of bizarreness to V Guitar. Or even the good old salad spoon sitar.

Moog guitar pedals are really good for this sort of exploration, but golly they are expensive (worth it, I would not contest that), and they have the limitation of being sort of knob twist dependent, which is nearly impossible to do while playing guitar. In the Anderton's demo a second guy did the knob twisting. This gave me an idea: record a track on my portable digital recorder, then play it back through my Monotron and record the output in my DAW on PC. I can knob twist after the fact, and try it multiple times to get the timing just right.

The Korg Monotron is a cheap (I got mine for $30 on CL mint condition), pocket sized ribbon synth with a few filters- I think LPF, and resonance. You can run an external input through it. All 1/8" connections, and requires a bit of EQing afterwards to take out the hiss, but we are going for distortion here, so that's all part of it. Even a sweep of EQ on a mixer can produce a wah like effect, using this method.

Happy knob (and virtual knob) twisting!
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008