GR-55 - Dream Theater - The Count of tuscany intro tone ..

Started by kevin123mm, November 18, 2011, 04:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin123mm

Can any one make me a patch tat sounds like the intro of the dream theater song The Count of tuscany ...

thanks in advance

aliensporebomb

I have that CD and when listening to it I thought it sounded a heck of a lot like a VG-99 patch I have.  I bet if I saved the patch you could use the VG-99 editor to make a note of the settings and then plug them into the GR-55 editor to duplicate the sound.  Stay tuned.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

kevin123mm

Thank you so much.. if possible can u make it GR-55 ready before uploading it.. i dont know how to use d VG-99 editor ..

aliensporebomb

Upon listening Not sure the 55 can do it.   The 99 could due to having two independent signal paths.  Maybe you could do it if you split off your guitars 1/4" out into a conventional electric setup and then use the 55 for the acoustic side?

Upon listening to the first minute, we have an arpeggiated clean part which is a clean acoustic (sounds like a close mic'ed dreadnaught) and a clean electric playing together overdubbed.  The clean acoustic sounds pretty natural (I don't detect a lot of processing on it) but the clean electric is clean tone, compression, chorus, some delay and a bit of reverb.   In theory there are a couple of ways you could do it.

55 owners - can you think of any way of doing it?  Maybe using a synthesized type sound for the clean electric and then do a clean acoustic on the COSM side?  Or take a splitter of the guitars output one to the GK input and the other to a conventional guitar setup for the electric tone?

Or were you referring to the lead tone he plays on the neck pickup?  That's a Mesa Boogie type patch with scooped mids, distortion, chorus and delay.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

kevin123mm

oh ok.. :( i was referring to the clean intro tone alright.. i thought it was double tracked...
Anyways thank you... And if possible pls make a patch of Petrucci's lead sound and his clean guitar sound 

3.28 in this video..

kevin123mm

kerly

Oh man I love DT. I'm surprised more people haven't come up with patches. Especially since the band has 3 different musicians whose tones you can all create with the gr-55. I would love some Petrucci tones as well as some Rhudes keyboard leads!
I keep forgetting to try and make "on the backs of angels" intro guitar and synth patches. Hopefully I will remember. But I'm not sure if I'm up to the task of such detailed tones yet

kevin123mm

Ya... Petrucci has some of d best tones in d world... On The Backs Of Angels will be difficult.. i read somewhere tat there are 6 layers of clean,acoustic guitars in the intro part...
Try to get petrucci's singing lead sound.. i'll try to get his clean sound

kerly

Oh I didn't see your "Count of Tuscany" patch. I will check it out when I get home from work.

I actually came up with a patch for the clean intro to "on the backs of angels" last night. I like it alot :) But I'm still A/B testing it for the best possible combination of effects. Will post when I'm satisfied  ;)

Yeah John said:
1 Completely clean guitar panned left
1 Guitar with phaser panned right
2 Standard Acoustics
2 Acoustics tuned to "Nashville"

So in the patch I have:
12 string semi-hollow Rickenbacker
and Normal Mag pickups with phaser added only to normal guitar

It's really hard to keep from making the patch too "lush" because the added reverb and phaser sound really good. But if you listen to the song those effects are rather subtle.

kerly

Hey your county of Tuscany patch is really really cool!
:)

The sound is very useful in a ton of situations too.

kevin123mm

Upload d patch when ur done... I'm glad u liked my patch :)

kerly