JTV - Adjusted Spank Set

Started by Elantric, November 03, 2014, 12:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://line6.com/support/topic/10143-what-happened-to-variax/
davidb7170 wrote>

I use my 59 & 69S JTV's out live gigging pretty much exclusively. I do use the mags probably 80 - 90% of the time, as I am very happy with the mags' sound. For downward-shifted or drop D types of tuning, I set up a patch on the 500X for selecting a model and using the alt tune. When I was using my Variax 300 prior to the JTV and HD Pods (XTL, then X3L) I had to set up pre-alt tuned models in my Custom banks and select those.

I have always liked the dynamic response of the mags the most, but have lately been doing extensive model tweaking, now that the Workbench works via the 500X & VDI. On my 69S, I worked a lot on the Spank set, and have it set up to my liking -- so much so that I have to keep an eye on the model knob to tell which mode I'm in -- mags or models....

Messing with the string levels has been key for me, as I would have certain strings "stick out" like a sore thumb on certain models. On my particular guitar, the G and high E seem to be somewhat louder in general than the B and other strings, I think variations in the piezo's can happen for relative string loudnesses. When I back them off, it brings them more in line with the other strings and the model improves vastly and also lessens the "plink" of the strings. I also mess with the overall loudness of the models, so when changing models, the relative volumes are in the same ballpark. While the volume differences between different pickups and guitars is accurate, you normally are using one physical guitar or another at a time, and adjust your amp to compensate. With all these virtual guitars in one physical guitar, I want to be able to change to the different tonality of a particular model without having to change the amp level settings.

I match up the models' levels as best I can even between the models and the mags, because I switch at will between those as well. One consequence of that is that my 59 mag signal level is about 5 or 6 db hotter than my 69S -- as most humbuckers versus single coils. I had to set up 2 set lists on the 500X that are duplicates, but one set for the 59 and one for the 69S. Same patches, but different input levels -- since my 59 was my first JTV, I duplicated the patches for it and boosted the input levels for the 69S. When I work with the JTV models, I get it to my liking on either the 59 or 69S, then transfer the model patch to the other one and adjust for level to match up with that guitar. So far so good.

Dave