FC-1 and ipad for lightweight live system

Started by thunderfingers, January 25, 2016, 02:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderfingers

I'm thinking an FC-1 and an iPad would make a small lightweight system for live performance. I can also use the iPad to control my bands PA and serve as a backup to the one the sound tech uses. I have seen that hardware mode is faster switching than using the triple play software, so if in hardware mode- why not use iPad?

But what is the best software for me to use on the iPad for live performance of virtual instruments like organ, piano, 80's synth, sax, brass? I don't have an iPad yet but many of the apps are also on iPhone so I have tried SampleTank, Garageband, Roland Sound Canvas, bismark-16. I don't think the iPhone version of Sampletank handles 6 midi channels and that is what is needed for pitch bend and some other functions. Bismark uses "sound fonts" which I'm not sure of the selection and quality. By quality- I look for samples that change attack and tone according to how hard you pick- not just the same sound louder. Plan to still use a pedal for guitar sounds because that way I can setup the guitar sound patch while I am playing a synth part.

Currently waiting for Fishman to solve the smooth pitch bend in hardware mode bug on the beta for FC-1. In the meantime my gig system is a roland GR-33.

Elantric

sloblue

can i use the ftp and irig pro with iPad pro at the same time?

Elantric

Quotecan i use the ftp and irig pro with iPad pro at the same time?

Yes -
Get Apple Lightning USB Camera adapter and a powered USB hub

details here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.0

sloblue

well, am shopped out for a while.  will use macbook pro for a live rig for now and have both that way.  using scarlett 2i2 interface and might use a 250 watt studio monitor for amp.

sloblue

from what i have read looks like tonestack is the way to go for iPad.  i hope it works with rig pro.  amplitude seems unfriendly by some reviews and the base paid version doesn't even have a compressor!  i am new to "apps" and the iPad, so from what i have read here this sounds like the way to go.  any other better not too expensive options out there that give reasonable flexibility and coverage?

admin

Yonac Tonestack is best value - but wait for a sale when the Motherloads are $19

Bias Amp  + Bias FX on very latest iPad Air 2 sounds good too

Jam up Pro has been updated too.

But if you get a Line-6 Sonicport VX ( one of the best IOS interfaces I've tested ) you get Mobile POD IOS free. And that has come a long way.

I tend to use iPad / iPhone for learning songs -so I use Yamaha THR Session to slow down / extract parts.

Too many choices - but wait for St Patrick days sale when most will be discounted

sloblue

on the macbook pro i tried the irig pro and amplitube4.  nice but had some latency.  then i used the scarlett 2i2 and WOW!  no latency and amazing sound with amplitude.  it is seeming like the iPad is great for learning and remote fun, but macbook and 2i2 is so good and i have a fostex pm-2 i need to dig out and try as a live setup.  next i need to figure out the blueboard so i have some control over effects and see where this leads.  irig pro may not be my choice but for practicing alone.  will see how this all plays out.    :)

sloblue

ohh and gotta get the ftp going with this guitar tone and see how groovy this can all be...

sloblue

kontak5 is giving me some good tomes for the ftp

Elantric

Quoteon the macbook pro i tried the irig pro and amplitube4.  nice but had some latency.  then i used the scarlett 2i2 and WOW!  no latency and amazing sound with amplitude.  it is seeming like the iPad is great for learning and remote fun, but macbook and 2i2 is so good and i have a fostex pm-2 i need to dig out and try as a live setup.  next i need to figure out the bluebird so i have some control over effects and see where this leads.  irig pro may not be my choice but for practicing alone.  will see how this all plays out.

Ive tested all the IOS apps - and the app price is nice compared to the OSX versions - but lately I can haul a macbook just as easiiy as an Ipad and have 1000% more capability -  right after I purchased an Axe-FX at LA amp show,the Fractal developer Cliff Chase told me to watch out for Scuffham's S-Gear

Scuffham's S-Gear with a recent Mac and a good low latency audio interface (Focusrite, RME, Apogee) is probably the best computer based Amp modeler that gets closest to a Axe-FX / Kemper experience today IMHO.
http://Scuffham's S-Gear
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16368.msg111312#msg111312

Spider

IMHO S-Gear is closest to Axe FX "thing".

Sorry I didn't read second pahragraph... and ehoed your opinion Steve :)

sloblue

Well the iPad pro is great, but the limitations are there.  as i wish to run sample tank or equiv. and amplitude or similar simultaneously i have run into a wall.  the iOS 9 split view is not supported in any apps i have found for these purposes thus far.  so, i am going to startup garageband and see if i can run them both in there.  i did obtain the camera adapter and a powered usb 3 hub and despite a warning i saw about wireless devices not working near a usb 3 hub, the triple play works just fine.  more later...

sloblue

i see that with background audio i can have two non split screen apps at once.  working on it

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: sloblue on April 04, 2016, 04:42:33 AM
Well the iPad pro is great, but the limitations are there.  as i wish to run sample tank or equiv. and amplitude or similar simultaneously i have run into a wall.  the iOS 9 split view is not supported in any apps i have found for these purposes thus far.  so, i am going to startup garageband and see if i can run them both in there.  i did obtain the camera adapter and a powered usb 3 hub and despite a warning i saw about wireless devices not working near a usb 3 hub, the triple play works just fine.  more later...

I struggle making GarageBand work in a live situation.  Instead, I'd recommend you look into Audiobus - this app allows you to set up multiple sound sources in parallel with very flexible routing options.  Like Interapp Audio, but on steroids:

http://www.musicappblog.com/audiobus-update-18/

The other iPad app I recommend for you is AUM, a brilliant audio mixer:

http://www.musicappblog.com/aum-updated/

BTW - John Walden's Music App Blog is an outstanding source of information.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

sloblue

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on April 04, 2016, 08:23:14 AM
I struggle making GarageBand work in a live situation.  Instead, I'd recommend you look into Audiobus - this app allows you to set up multiple sound sources in parallel with very flexible routing options.  Like Interapp Audio, but on steroids:

http://www.musicappblog.com/audiobus-update-18/

The other iPad app I recommend for you is AUM, a brilliant audio mixer:

http://www.musicappblog.com/aum-updated/

BTW - John Walden's Music App Blog is an outstanding source of information.

thank you very much.  i am new to this and i appreciate the help.  i will look into this

sloblue

got it all working but for one thing.  how do i turn off ftp dpad control in amplitube while using it in sample tank?
blueboard working with amplitude and i can control both with guitar if i can figure out how to keep ftp dpad from switching in amplitude. yikes  don't wanna have to get another pedal for ftp if i can help it

sloblue

well, if i leave the sample tank window up front i can switch sounds and not cause probs with amplitube.  found the compressor in amplitube.  really got some good sounds going and a good blend with guitar and keys.  no slide in tank i can find.  ik stuff does work together pretty well and blue board on the guitar.  i could do this live for what i need.  been quite a learning curve for iOS and apps but iPad pro is working fine even stripped down to powered usb hub, irig pro, ftp and just the headphone out on iPad.  i have had worse  lol. 

sloblue

just ordered the last bit to my lightweight rig.  iloud.  so, prs se standard, iPad pro, powered usb 3 hub, irig pro, blueboard, triple play, amplitude, sample tank, and iloud.  if this baby can't do it then...lol.  the prs
has duncan pups with added volume and single coil switch and coil select for phase with a passive midrange control instead of high rolloff.  just gotta find places to try it out.  wish i could find another jam like few years ago at solstice jam in pozo. hope all is well with you all.