Whats your Favorite Hex PU?

Started by Elantric, March 09, 2008, 08:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteI don't want to vote as I don't have any experience with any of them yet, but it would be nice to see the results :-)

Should be able to scroll up to the top and see the Poll Results

I attached a pic.

tonyknight

Thanks Elantric - just found that :-)

Yug

The GK3 works well enough for me with the GR55 and VG99 although in its standard form is a bit noisy so better opamps are of great benefit.
I tried piezos with the Godin which were equally as good but I use alot of tremolo so the GK3 is a must. For consistent GK3 performance, the Kahler wins hands down over the Floyd Rose given that the kahler maintains a fixed saddle position albeit a little less stable on tuning and the feel of the kahler is so much more expressive than the floyd.
One of my biggest challenges is getting the pickups/system to respond faithfully to harmonics where it seems both the GR55 and VG99 require very precise pickup centre to saddle measurements to get the best performance. Piezo pickups do seem more forgiving in this department which is no supprise.
nelcatjar - yup, my guitars are all black  ;)

merman93

Combo of fishman hex into gk-3. My original fishman hex is single coil, unlike the later ones, but it just works better, and is easier to put on and take off.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

CodeSmart

Personally I think a GK-Kit is the best PU, mounted in a guitar of your own choice.
I did a few installations with my  'normal' handy-guy knowledge and I think many none-luthiers like me can do it fine if they just do the proper Googling.

Tracking-wise it's easy to setup in the VG/GR/GP/SY settings.

I own a Godin xtSA, works pretty good, but even modern Piezos require a lot more tweaking of settings than GK.
Most people give up and think a subsonic filter is the easy and only way out.
However it IS possible to have it track almost like a GK with a GR-55 if enough hours spent on GK Settings.

However for less intrusive installation a GK-3 is the second best.

NOTE: The wart doesn't NEED to be black. With a spray can it's easy to make it white or any color you like.

Long time ago I made this bastard. It's weird bet soooo stealth  ;D

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

aliensporebomb

Camouflage is great:  I've posted this before. 

I've literally had people at gigs go "how are you driving the synthy sounds when you're not using a hex pickup?"   It's right there but invisible to mos especially under stage lightst:

Codesmart's method is pretty cool I must admit. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Brak(E)man

This is another way to do it camouflage wise , have as many PUs , switches and other stuff that the hexes disappear
(All in the same color scheme)

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

arkieboy

I suspect there will be a 'suitability to purpose' going on here too.  I don't generally use my 99 for electric guitar sims - I have two patches that do, one because I have a very quick change from a bright clean bridge sound to a murky, tone-rolled off neck sound and it was just easier to use the Les Paul model to preset the guitar setting I wanted to use.  On another I need a baritone alternate tuning - the 6+5 and 4+3 strings were tuned to fifths so I could power chord with one finger, and the interval between the 5th and 4th was what made playing the main riff of the song convenient.

Everything else is either acoustic guitars or synth sounds.  I find the higher frequency content of the piezos in my RMC system make these kinds of sounds work better than the GK3. 

I also prefer the GK2/2a to the GK3, which is much more fragile.  I also always reverse install my GK3s as a consequence.

For my Axon, the RMC system is much, much better than any GK pickup I've tried, but to be fair I've never used a Roland Ready Strat.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Elantric

whippinpost91850

Elantric

Top of this thread, 1st page

Looks like this

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=492.0#msg1999

whippinpost91850

GuitarBuilder

Can we add the Cycfi Research Nu Multi as a separate line in the poll? It wasn't out when you first started it. This pickup is hands down better than all of the others in terms of crosstalk, output levels & impedance, and most importantly frequency response. Plus it's great looking.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973