Fractal Axe-FX II

Started by Virtual Tone, February 21, 2008, 11:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virtual Tone

I was wondering who has both of these units and if so what's your take?

Also... has anyone sold their Axe-FX in favor of the VG-99?

V.T.  8)

baranger1

I sold it and bought a second VG-99!
They are both great but the 99 did it for me and what I do.
Bill

Paresh

Anyone heard this or know how it compares to the VG?
paresh

scarr

I have both.  IMO, the 99 can't match the Axe-Fx for amps or effects.  Nothing else I know can.  The effects match or best Eventide's stuff and the amp sims are extremely dynamic, like only the best tube gear can be.  Or could be, before the AFX.  ;) The 99 is priced a bit differently though, so I don't begrudge it for that.  The 99 kicks butt on the guitar modeling and the poly stuff in general.  I use it for that stuff and have the output of the 99 (or a synth the 99 controls) driving my AFX.

The AFX also gets firmware updates every few weeks (if not sooner), so the thing just keeps getting better.  I'd suggest you Google the Axe-Fx forum and listen to the user sound clips in there.  If you have any other questions, the answers are probably there (or in the Axe-Fx Wiki).  That forum is the appropriate place to discuss these things further.

chipstar

I just had myself added to the waiting list to purchase a Axe FX Ultra. The demo sounds and YouTube demos are awesome. The VG-99 is great but it seems a bit too digital and no effects loop. Boo hoo. Having a routable effects loop will be a very nice change. My GT-Pro will have to do for the time being on that front.

later,
Chipstar

chipstar

Awe yeah!!! My Axe Fx Ultra ships tomorrow. It only cost $2000. I'll let you guys know how it sizes up.

later,
Chipstar

Virtual Tone

Quote from: chipstar on June 09, 2008, 05:40:26 PM
Awe yeah!!! My Axe Fx Ultra ships tomorrow. It only cost $2000. I'll let you guys know how it sizes up.

later,
Chipstar

Only Eh??   ;D

V.T.  8)

chipstar

I've got my Axe FX now. I played with it a few hours last night. I dig it. The multi tap delays and synth sounds are amazing. Layering it with my GT-Pro sounds really cool too. I"ll let you know more as I get more familiar with it.

later,
Chipstar

chipstar

Well guys, the verdict is in... I've decided to return my Axe-Fx for a refund. I'd like to say that the VG-99 wins but quite honestly, the GT-Pro wins. I've really been digging it lately. Perhaps its because my GK guitar is in the shop but anyway... I found the Axe FX interface extremely cumbersome. Also, I may be wrong but there doesn't seem to be a global gain control. That is to say that each preset's volume varies wildly and this is very problematic for setting levels for recording and performing. Another issue is the fan noise which is simply unacceptable considering the lengths to which I've gone to make my studio silent; however, ultimately, the determining factor is tone. The Boss/Roland products just sound better to me. I have truly been amazed at how distinct each preset I create sounds compared to the previous one I created. To me, the Axe-Fx has a niche market appeal if you want to dial in very non-traditional sounds but I really don't create many multi-tap, alternate scale presets. It is my belief that in perhaps 5 years that the Axe-Fx will be a monster but right now, I think it is best to stick with what works and might I add works well. Go Roland/Boss!!

later,
Chipstar

Virtual Tone

WOW!  You just saved me 2K!!  :o  LOLOL ;D

Chipstar... I'm surprised yet unsurprised by your decision to send it back.  I know Bill sold his and bought two VG-99's (how do you work them together Bill?) but to say your GT PRO sounds better when I know you are one picky mother, well... to ME that says A LOT! 

I know scarr prefers the AXE and said "99 can't match the Axe-Fx for amps or effects." 

How are the amps and effects compared to the VG and your PRO?  You say the PRO wins, so I take it the amp sims and the effects in the VG doesn't even match the PRO right?

V.T.  8)

P.S.  Are you SURE you just didn't need the 2K for that wild weekend in Vegas we're planning?  :D

vanceg

Quote from: Virtual Tone on June 17, 2008, 03:03:55 AM

P.S.  Are you SURE you just didn't need the 2K for that wild weekend in Vegas we're planning?  :D

Are we having a VG-99 weekend in Vegas!  Awesome!
Actually, No thanks: I'll save my money for more gear or time off to PLAY it.  I normally suck at gambling (though last time I was there I hit the roulette wheel THREE TIMES IN A ROW betting on a specific number!  Too bad my first bet was $1.)

Virtual Tone

Yeah... last time I was there, and friend gave me a few quarters and it turned into like over a grand. 

Too bad that doesn't happen everyday.  Think of the gear you could buy!  ;D

s0c9

As a 2-yr user of the VG99, I have to say that I love many of its features, such as the acoustics, bass and synth patches; alternate tunings, d-beam and stuff.  However, I have to admit that as a guitar player (weekend warrior, not a professional) who plays 100% cover music, I've been frustrated with all the tweaks in the unit, and getting the sounds of the various artists that I want from it.  That is definitely NOT the fault of the unit. User error no doubt.  :-[

So, I sold some stuff and splurged for an Axe-Fx !  All I can say is WOW !!!   Hands down the QUALITY beats the socks of anything else [digital] that I have played.  plays and feels like a tube amp. Simple default controls with lots of deep tweaking available if needed.  I'll still keep the VG99 - can't beat some of its features - acoustic and alternate tuning, but.. most of my playing will now be done with the Axe-Fx.
It IS everything it says it is..    :D

onemoreguitar

Quote from:  s0c9 on May 09, 2010, 08:38:18 AM
t IS everything it says it is..    :D

That it is.  I have an Ultra and I use my VG-99 into the AFX for COSM guitars.  It's an extremely versatile rig.  The noise from the VG takes some working around, but it's worth the effort.

s0c9

Quote from:  onemoreguitar on May 09, 2010, 09:18:52 AM
That it is.  I have an Ultra and I use my VG-99 into the AFX for COSM guitars.  It's an extremely versatile rig.  The noise from the VG takes some working around, but it's worth the effort.

I have an Ultra too.. been trying to figure out how to get the FC-300 working with both units.. so I can use the COSM guitars too :)

GeePeeAxe

Along the VG-99 I use now a Mesa Boogie Triaxis which
goes to the computer directly. Some amp models of Amplitube
work fantastic with the Triaxis, so I don´t miss an AXE-FX
or whatever else. The speaker and microphone simulation
of Amplitube is way better than the VGs ever had.
Still I will try to replicate my favorite tube sounds with the 99,
so I am not completely on the dark side! ;-)

Cheers,
Djordje

aliensporebomb

The track "Rigsby Reloaded" that I did at my reverbnation site is both the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp and the VG-99 simultaneously.  Fun times!

I don't think I miss the AxeFX either although it's definitely cool technology.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

MCK

I don't have an AxeFX but I am very tempted to get one if for nothing else simply because of the support Fractal and its owner has for his community. The updates & bug-fixes etc are delivered on an ongoing basis and continue to add amazing new capability. I wish Roland could learn a few things from Fractal! Kudos big time to Cliff!

s0c9

I've had my Ultra about a week now and I'm still totally IMPRESSED !!!   Still tired :)
I've never played anything digital that allows the level of dynamics, pick attack and volume rollup that this thing has !!
Just like a tube amp !!  I've owned a few of 'em, and most of the better digital stuff from L6, Roland/BOSS, Digitech and Zoom.
But this Axe-FX seriously put then to shame - it's one darn amazing beast !  :)

aliensporebomb

I like the technology in the AxeFX and the company seems like they've really hit on a formula that people like.

but I recently have stumbled on two things in the VG-99 that has me thinking "I don't really need an AxeFX"..
I thought I might need one after watching some youtube clips but after digging in the VG I've gotten sounds I didn't expect to get at all.

On the effects side I don't even need internal synths to create synth sounds anymore:

That's two clean les pauls with humbuckers and massive processing in the VG effects.  5 custom patches I put together;
they are all here for download.

Then for the "tubular reaction and feel" I've got this going on:

That being said the AxeFX has some cool stuff in it. 

The coolest thing about the AxeFX is the community IMO, lots of people making patches and lots of software updates and direct
communication from the company producing it to the users who bought it.

The company seems dedicated to making it the best it can be whereas Roland is stretched a bit thing with all of the V-drum, V-piano,
V-accordion, V-carburetor products they have out so the VG-99 hasn't gotten much in the way of updates beyond "bugfix" type fixes.

That being said, if I was independently wealthy (I'm not) I would have an Ultra just to play with.
It's got some good sounds make no mistake - but with my VG and Mesa setup I'm good.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

A2theT

The VG-99 is awesome and like all gear it has its weaknesses.  
One that comes to mind is the simplicity of the reverb modules.
I'd prefer more defined reverb presets from bathroom to cathedral that are impulse modeled.
VG could use some good filter fx too.

I've almost convinced myself not to end up divorced over the Axe-Fx.
I think the support for the product appears to be fantastic. i.e  Firmware updates that actually address modelling parameters and enhancements as opposed to most vendors offering up only bug fixes (which are most important of course).

A couple of things I struggle with is its lack of USB interface or dedicated footswitch.  I have no use for reconnecting my old USB->Midi DIN interface to my comupter TBH.  In all the history of guitar amps/preamps the best footswitches are the proprietary ones hands down.  I've owned lots of gear that worked with midi foot controllers but native ones were always the best.  Case in point, Digitech GSP-2101, Roland VG-99 etc etc.
Additionally, you can't tell me that the Axe-Fx is easier to program on the front of the unit than the VG is.

Don't get me wrong, knocking the Axe-FX is helping me not spend the money on one because I really want one damn it!

I only have 6 electric guitars which looks bad enough on me as it is.  At one point I had a VG-99, RP-1000, and Pod X3L.  Lots of fun but just plain silly.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

s0c9

A to the T,
Yes, I'd be a nut-case if I had to program from the front panel, but the AxeEdit software helps with that.
I'm note pretending it's perfect - like you said; dedicated footswitch (supposedly in the works!) and lack of USB.
That aspect will be an ongoing pain with upgrades, backups and setting up the midi interface on the foot controllers.  I guess that what you DON'T get with a smaller specialty firm - unlike Roland/BOSS - who had similar types of growing pains when they started out. Still, I can deal with that, as I think it's worth the end result - even if it's not completely "plug-an-play".  Big difference in company size :)

What has really impressed me thus far is the "playability".  Dynamics, feel that I just don't get on the VG99 (or other digital device - I'm not picking on the VG).  The really impressive part for me is the effects. They are so-o-o-o incredibly "real".  I don't know how else to explain it. I'm not sure if it will be the only thing in my rig.. too soon to tell, but I'm not about to dump the VG99.  May still use the COSM guitar features as input to the AxeFx, alternate tunings, and a few other things :)

And honestly, if it wasn't for an inheritance windfall [of sorts], I probably wouldn't have the AxeFx either.

A2theT

well I am drooling over it but I have to ask this question.  What do the JC-120 and Boss models sound like in the Axe-Fx compared to the VG?  I'd find it hard to believe that they're better than Roland's as they do indeed make the gear.  anyway, i'm gonna start selling of stuff that gets little use and hopefully by the time i have enough money fractal will have usb and a proprietary foot pedal. (hopefully with two exp pedals ;) )
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

s0c9

Sorry,
been a bit busy lately..  the AFX is - like the VG99 - a very DEEP device. I have not even begun to scratch the surface.
The range of tones from simply picking an amp, a cab and simple room reverb in a patch is phenomenal.
As far as effects go, the reverb alone KILL anything on the VG99. Then add in chorus, wah. They are stellar.
The part I like the best is that when one picks a "block" - be that amp, cab or effect, it will use existing settings. If you start with patch from scratch, default values are selected. Any block can be reset to its default values at the click of a button.  IIRC, can't do that on a VG99, GT10 or L6 POD.

But then, that is what it was designed for. When you look at all the features on the VG99, and compare against the AFX, sure... one tends to say.. Well, there's a ton more features on the VG99. Absolutely true. But the amp models and effects on the AFX are way beyond the VG.  I lurked the forum, listened to the demos (both company and user) and thought that it sounded pretty good, but did not understand all the "fuss" on the forum about playability, pick dynamics, and being able to go from clean to dirty by turning up the guitar volume knob - UNTIL I TRIED IT !!   Oh boy... It does not sound [IMHO] the least bit digital, and it cuts thru the mix REAL well [baptized it  at rehearsal last night].  

Once I get more time, I will play [more] with putting the COSM guitars into the AFX  (no other modeling/effects applied on the VG).  The Strat and Tele are absolute KILLER when combined with the AFX. Pure Strat tone.  Pure Tele twang !!

List of AFX amp models can be found here [for v9.03] of software.
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=List_of_amp_simulations

Bill Ruppert

Glad you like it.
Thats great you finally found something that works for you.
We are lucky we have choices!

I owned one for a while and sold it.
I bought a second VG-99.
I feel 100% polar opposite to you.
I used it in sessions and it was not to be for many reasons.

I was able to duplicate everything I liked in that unit in the VG-99.
If it worked for me I would still own it.
Money is not an issue for me as these are tools I make my living with.
I use what helps me get my job and my sound done.
Have fun!
Bill

Quote from:  s0c9 on May 19, 2010, 04:07:53 PM
Sorry,
been a bit busy lately..  the AFX is - like the VG99 - a very DEEP device. I have not even begun to scratch the surface.
The range of tones from simply picking an amp, a cab and simple room reverb in a patch is phenomenal.
As far as effects go, the reverb alone KILL anything on the VG99. Then add in chorus, wah. They are stellar.
The part I like the best is that when one picks a "block" - be that amp, cab or effect, it will use existing settings. If you start with patch from scratch, default values are selected. Any block can be reset to its default values at the click of a button.  IIRC, can't do that on a VG99, GT10 or L6 POD.

But then, that is what it was designed for. When you look at all the features on the VG99, and compare against the AFX, sure... one tends to say.. Well, there's a ton more features on the VG99. Absolutely true. But the amp models and effects on the AFX are way beyond the VG.  I lurked the forum, listened to the demos (both company and user) and thought that it sounded pretty good, but did not understand all the "fuss" on the forum about playability, pick dynamics, and being able to go from clean to dirty by turning up the guitar volume knob - UNTIL I TRIED IT !!   Oh boy... It does not sound [IMHO] the least bit digital, and it cuts thru the mix REAL well [baptized it  at rehearsal last night].  

Once I get more time, I will play [more] with putting the COSM guitars into the AFX  (no other modeling/effects applied on the VG).  The Strat and Tele are absolute KILLER when combined with the AFX. Pure Strat tone.  Pure Tele twang !!

List of AFX amp models can be found here [for v9.03] of software.
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=List_of_amp_simulations