Recent Posts

GK Bass / Re: Using the V-Bass with the ...
Last post by Music Avenger - Today at 06:34:41 AM
Hi to All.

A modified version of the VG-88 editor compatible with the original V Bass will raise considerably not only the number of users but also the price of these undervalued units.

I owned both the V Bass and VB-99 and I went back to the original one because is built like a tank and more compatible for road use.

The VB-99 specs are better for studio use but its all plastic construction is very fragile for the road. (and the pots are not designed for survival over time)

The original V Bass is a self-contained all-metal construction unit with Mains input, (No external power supply with a tiny breakable DC connector)

Built-in Expression Pedal and Footswitches.  (External Footswitches and expression pedals make setup and transport more bulky and complicated)

The lack of a Computer editor is what makes this unit undesirable but if that changes it will become one of the most desirable Bass Multieffects for its undiscovered quality.

The presets are not a good representation of what this unit is capable of doing with some good programming.

A hidden Gem waiting for a window to show all its capabilities.

I also own a VG-88 that without the editor will be as undesirable as the V Bass....

I'm not sure there is a continuous envelope follower in the Boss/Roland world at all?

Lots of string triggers.  Velocity triggered effects.  But nothing I recall that follows string decay real time.   

Snapshots, yes.  Continuous, no...

Maybe I missed it?

Where?

It's really nice to strum & hold a chord & have it fade away properly.... Not like a series of on/off switches.
Quote from: Elantric on Yesterday at 03:13:32 PMSome Roland /Boss devices can use guitar input level as a Controller Assignment  Source.

However, (and correct me if I am wrong here - don't have manuals to hand right now) this is just a monophonic envelope follower - not per string modulation control
Roland GR-55 Examples / Re: GR-55 - Video's, Video's a...
Last post by gustavo_5 - Yesterday at 09:06:12 PM
Boss SY-1000 - General Discussion / Re: All said and done
Last post by Bill Ruppert - Yesterday at 05:44:27 PM
Quote from: ffata on Yesterday at 03:23:42 PMI don't own one, (yet!, still with "just" my VG-99) was wondering, do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?
Thanks, Fred

Hi Fred
I only use it with mag pickups for amps, effects and synths.
To my ears, I get a much fatter organic sound that I am in love with.
The SY-1000 just sparks so much creativity everytime I play it.
With the mag pickup I feel more connected to it dynamically.
Everybody is different, and the magic box has something for EVERYBODY!
PLUS come on, it looks cool!!
Last post by arkieboy - Yesterday at 05:20:20 PM
Quote from: ffata on Yesterday at 03:23:42 PMI don't own one, (yet!, still with "just" my VG-99) was wondering, do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?
Thanks, Fred
For regular guitar sounds in regular tuning I use my own guitars' pickups - Tonerider + BK Bootcamp on the Strat, Seymour Duncans on the Brian Moore - and they both sound fine as they are.

If I want to do pitch shifting or alternate tunings, and occasionally if I have a tricky pickup and patch change I'll use a modelled electric so I can preset the guitar, pickup and tone controls.  I'll also model the other half of a 12 string guitar if I want an electric twelve - layering a Nashville tuned Strat on top of my regular Strat pickups.

I use modelled acoustics in some part of most of our songs - generally 12 string or nylon strung models.  In one song I model a mandolin - there's no mandolin body available so I use a regular acoustic model with some eq to better match a real mandolin's sound.  The most important thing is setting the alternate tuning correctly I think, which gives you authentic chord voicings, and it certainly sounds right when in the context of a song.

I'm a big fan of the wave synth and use that a lot, especially for lead sounds and sequences.  You can get pretty convincing Arp-like sounds from the SY with not much effort.
Last post by Elantric - Yesterday at 04:13:13 PM
Quote from: stub on Yesterday at 04:09:41 PMIt's not that black & white. I ALWAYS connect it via 13-pin, but I pretty often route the mags into my patches on the SY-1000. My guitar has piezo saddle pickups, so palm-muting sounds dumb. But also, just generally, I use the mags for regular electric guitar/bass sounds, and use the divided pickup for models. And I don't really use the synth models except sometimes to add a layer.

But that is one of the wonders of the SY-1000-- i.e., 3 models, plus mags.

Same here, the SY-1000 Synths are the least attraction for my principal use of SY-1000
Last post by stub - Yesterday at 04:09:41 PM
Quote from: ffata on Yesterday at 03:23:42 PM...do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?

It's not that black & white. I ALWAYS connect it via 13-pin, but I pretty often route the mags into my patches on the SY-1000. My guitar has piezo saddle pickups, so palm-muting sounds dumb. But also, just generally, I use the mags for regular electric guitar/bass sounds, and use the divided pickup for models. And I don't really use the synth models except sometimes to add a layer.

But that is one of the wonders of the SY-1000-- i.e., 3 models, plus mags.
I found that it does not quite reach the full range for the GM-800. For example, if you choose a pitch expression of 12 you will not quite get a full octave shift. Perhaps a slightly lower value than 1K would fix that. But of course there is usually not great precision in expression control so you could also choose a range of 13 and get that octave plus a little more. For volume control, not getting to exactly 100% is generally no problem.