Started by Elantric, September 16, 2016, 09:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i

The "HK" stands for Hughes and Kettner
http://hughes-and-kettner.com/

http://hkaudio.com/products.php?id=446

LUCAS NANO 608i
HK Audio's LUCAS NANO 608i is the first all-in-one PA to feature an onboard iPad-enabled mixer. With eight channels, impressive reverb programs, intuitive EQ and compressor functions, and convenient Bluetooth streaming, this new top-liner among end-to-end systems makes professional wireless mixing easier than ever. Remarkably compact and ultra-light at just 16.3kg, this handy PA also delivers the extraordinary audio power you would expect from the LUCAS NANO 600.

Facts & FeaturesTechn. DataAccessoriesImagesDownloads
The first ever compact PA to feature an integrated wireless iPad-enabled mixer
Free app for iPad: LUCAS NANO REMOTE
Eight-channel digital mixer with professional features
Simple handling; assembles in seconds
Bluetooth: audio streaming and wireless connection to the app for iPad
Flexible: can be used as a mono PA, a 2.1 setup or in Twin Stereo
Two satellites with 4.5" broadband woofer and 1" tweeter
10" subwoofer
Low-resonance bass enclosure featuring "Anti-Resonance Bracing"
130dB max. SPL
Multicell Transformer technology
460-watt power amp
Transport bay for the satellites located in the subwoofer
Signal-carrying distance pole (available separately)
Just 16.3kg

Model
LUCAS NANO 608i System
Product Class   Mono System / 2.1 system
Frequency response +/- 3 dB   43 Hz - 20 kHz
Power Rating   460 W (300 W + 2x 80 W) Class D (EIA)
Active protection circuits   MulitBand limiter, Subsonic filter, Thermo protection, Overload protection
Inputs   4x XLR Combo, 2x 1/4", RCA/Mini jack 3,5mm, Bluetooth audio streaming, Link In for Twin Stereo Mode
Outputs   Speaker Out, Easy-Click, Rec Out, Footswitch/Aux Send Out, Link Out for Twin Stereo Mode
Special Features   8-channel mixer with built-in DSP preamp and effects section, Bluetooth audio streaming, Bluetooth remote control for additional DSP functions via the LUCAS NANO REMOTE app for Apple iPad
Enclosure   Surface-coated Polypropylene
Optional accessories   S-Connect Pole LN (signal-routing speaker pole), Stereo Stand Add-on, Roller Bag (padded trolley), Desk/Wall Mount, Link Cable, Drum Rack Adapter
Weight   16,3 kg / 36 lbs.
Model
NANO 608i Satellite
Max SPL   119 dB (Single Satellite),
124 dB (Satellite Array)@10%THD, half space
Max SPL peak   124 dB (Single Satellite),
130 dB (Satellite Array)@10%THD, half space
Frequency response +/- 3 dB   190 Hz - 20 kHz
Mid/High Speaker   4,5"
HF Driver   1"
HF horn   HK Audio Multicell transformer
Mid/high unit dispersion pattern, horizontal/vertical   90° x +10/-45° (Single Satellite),
90° x 30° (Satellite Array)
Pole mount   3/8" thread
Dimensions (WxHxD)   14,5 x 14,5 x 13,5 cm
Weight   1,2 kg / 2,6 lbs.
Model
NANO 608i Subwoofer
Max SPL   120 dB@10%THD, half space
Max SPL peak   123 dB@10%THD, half space
Frequency response +/- 3 dB   43 Hz - 190 Hz
LF Speaker   10"
Pole mount   M33 for the (signal-routing) S-Connect Pole LN, a speaker pole adapter sleeve (M33 to M20) is included
Dimensions (WxHxD)   35 x 49 x 47 cm
Weight   13,9 kg / 30,8 lbs.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.msg62265#msg62265
QuoteWhen thinking about sound for the GR-55, because you are dealing with digitally recorded & modified audio it's best to think wider than just traditional musicians gear. By far the best audio I have ever heard for the GR-55 is the BOSE L1 Model II system with B2 sub-bass. Using this thing is like listening to HiFi played live. It's unbelievable! Trouble is - it's the better part of $3,000 Australian for the ultimate sound. The next best system I have heard is the Lucas Nano 300. Sound is definitely along HiFi lines with this one as well. It's maybe 85% as good as the BOSE, but much more reasonable at AUS $800. Both of these systems fold up to small, easily carryable packages.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18826.msg134307#msg134307
QuoteAs stated in my first post, my main live setup now is HK Nano 600, Ipad 4 running BiasFX through a Line 6 Sonic Port. The Blueboard and BT4 coupled with the two EV-5 are my app controllers.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18952.msg136709#msg136709
QuoteThe Nano 600 is great. I use one myself with a Mackie DL1608 or my Motu 828 MKIII/8M AVB.

Do you use the Nano in stack mode (mono)? Have you tried splitting the satellites on either side of the stage.

I've been using it both ways. For low volume stuff I'm doing stereo, but in band setting I'm running it in mono with the heads stacked at just above audience head level. If you need a lot of bass, find a corner in witch to stack your NANO. Easy extra 6 db of low end.

HK Nano 600/608i satellite speaker pole mount adapters $35
http://www.adorama.com/hklucaspma.html?RRref=receiptPage

Cups

admin

REVIEW
https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/hk-audio-lucas-nano-608i-test.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bonedo.de%2Fartikel%2Feinzelansicht%2Fhk-audio-lucas-nano-608i-test.html

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=3837&Source=Search&txtSearch=B

HK Audio Lucas Nano 600 - same speakers and power  -  but fewer mixer channels , and missing the DSP EQ and wireless iPad control found in the NANO 608i

My first thoughts when I received the Nano 600 were ''Is that it?'' I had a couple of days notice that a drum monitor system was been delivered but when the delivery driver bought a suspiciously light and small box up my drive, I really wasn''t sure that he had got it right.

HK audio are not a big name in the electronic drum monitor business in the UK. However, they are very well respected company in the rest of Europe particularly Germany, where they are from. The Lucas systems are a collection of small PA systems with Lucas standing for Lightweight Ultra Compact Active System.

The Nano 600 consists of one subwoofer and two satellite speakers. The two satellite speakers can lock together on top of the sub woofer to make a very compact PA system, or they can be taken apart and mounted on two separate stands and connected to the sub via Speakon cables (not supplied).

Apart from the sub and the satellites, the only other items in the cardboard box were the instruction manual and a power cable. That''s it. It''s really a very simple system.

Satellites mounted in the sub for travel
<BR>So far, it looks like the Nano 600 is another ''does what it says on the tin'' product. Its definitely lightweight (I can pick it up the whole system easily with one hand), its definitely ultra compact (you don''t need any extra cables to set it up in its most compact form), and it is also an active system (with lots of clever protection to stop you doing anything silly).

There are some very, very clever design features on the Nano 600. For instance the two satellite speakers fit into the back of the sub woofer and lock into place using two little thumb twists, meaning there is only one thing to carry in from the car to make your whole mini PA/ drum monitor system. The two satellite speakers lock in place on top of the sub and contacts are built into them which means you don''t have to use any cables. As long as they are locked in place, the contacts touch, and the satellites work. It''s such a clever design I don''t know why more people haven''t done it.

The Nano 600 was sent to me to test as an electronic drum monitor system. Historically electronic drum monitors have either been very good, very expensive and very heavy, or compact and horrible sounding. The problem with most sub and satellite systems is that there is often a large hole in the frequency range which is not covered by either the sub or the satellite speakers.

Undo the catches...
Acoustic drum kits on the notorious for having the widest frequency range of any instrument. From the super highs of the cymbals to the super low subs of the bass drum, we expect all of this sound to be reproduced by simple speaker systems. And normally it doesn''t happen very well, the speaker system has a major problem trying to recreate the sound that we expect and compromises are made.

Everything on the Nano 600 plugs into the sub which contains the amplifier. The inputs are on Neutrik XLR/ jack combination plugs. There is a single mono channel, a dual input stereo channel, two phonos and a mini jack (for an iPod etc) on channel 3 and a few outputs for taking the signal elsewhere, including two Speakons to use when you are using the satellites on stands.

Each channel has its own volume control, a line or mike level selector switch and a tone control (which to my ears doesn''t seem to do that much but was still welcome). There''s also a subwoofer master volume and a balance knob although I did not require that for this test as I ran everything in mono as the satellites were positioned on the sub.

...and out they lift
To test the Nano 600, I first played a sweeping sine wave through it from 20 kHz to 20 Hz. This is the usual hearing range of a human being (one who doesn''t have any hearing damage or hearing loss) and I normally do this to see what the frequency reproduction of any speaker system is. I know this isn''t a real world situation, but it is nice to know if there''s any massive gaping holes in the frequency response.

The Nano 600 performed very well with no obvious peaks or troughs. This promised great things so I then proceeded to play some music tracks I knew very well through it. This is when I came across my first raised eyebrows moment. The sub is incredibly powerful. I had it set so it was only just on to give a nice even mix of the track. Even slightly above just on would give a floor rumbling performance.<BR>

The two satellites joined together
The Nano 600 was originally designed to be a compact PA for DJs, so I knew that the bottom end would be very well catered for. However I wasn''t expecting it to be quite this powerful. However at no time did it become unmusical - it would go very loud, but the music still sounded good, just a very, very bass heavy. A lots of other small compact systems tend to just get very muddy, very quickly, when the sub is turned up and it''s nice to hear that the Nano 600 still sounded musical.

My second eyebrow raising moment was the fact that I couldn''t get a nice flat mix of the music. It always sounded a little hollow in the middle, as I usually expect from sub and satellite systems, so to be honest, I was slightly disappointed especially after the sweep earlier didn''t sound unusual. However, I was possibly  unfairly comparing them with my studio monitors, which are designed to give a very very nice flat response, so I decided to plug in an ekit and see how that sounded.<BR>

... clicked into position on the sub...
And then I had my third eyebrow raising moment, as the ekit I was using sounded great through the Nano 600. I suppose it makes sense - the output of most ekits is much more like the output of a DJs system - the bass drum sounded full and fat, and the cymbals sounded clean and airy. The only sound I found that the Nano 600 didn''t like was a very open and boomy 18 inch bass drum sample, which made the whole room (and the sub) vibrate. Everything else was recreated very well, with reproduction getting better the more compressed, gated and ''electronic'' the sounds I used were.

Volume wise the Nano 600 was great as well, with the sub being rated as 300 W and the satellites being rated as 80 W each. I don''t have a maximum decibels reading here, but needless to say it goes up pretty loud, and HK Audio themselves suggest you can use the Nano 600 in rooms with up to 200 people, but that''s for DJ use, so I would recommend the Nano 600 for small gigs as a drum PA or as a drum monitor on medium size gigs.

If I''m totally honest, I think the best setup of the Nano 600 would be with four satellites rather than two, mounted on stands, which is an optional setup. The two extra satellites would give a little more high end sparkle to the sound, not that I felt it was lacking, but my personal preference (or possibly because of hearing damage!) would be to have a little more clarity.

Overall I''m really impressed with the Nano 600. Its brilliant design, lightweight, compact size, and funky look are all round excellent. It sounds good, it sounds great with an ekit through it, and I''m sure it would sound great if you were a DJ. The protection in the amplification means you aren''t going to do any stupid or unnecessary damage whilst plugging things in or switching switches.

So, does it sound better than the edrums amplification systems that the big edrum manufacturers sell? Well, yes I think it probably does. It has many benefits over the other systems, and sounds great to my ears, which the other systems don''t necessarily do. The only thing which I think could make it slightly better for edrums, is a simple mounting system so that the satellites can mount on drum hardware, an edrum rack for instance.

While I had the Nano 600, I tried a few different things with it. I plugged in an AKG D112 bass drum mic directly into the sub and miked up an acoustic bass drum. The Nano 600 sub provided a nice reinforced sound, so it could probably be used for low end enhancement or reinforcement for small acoustic gigs. I also tried it as a small vocal PA and it came through with flying colours as long as you didn''t need to go too loud.

So, for a combination of sound, weight, compactness and everything else, I don''t think you can do much better than the Nano 600. Of course as I suggested earlier, if you want a little bit more high end spread you might need two more satellites and some stands, but the Nano 600 system as it is, is a very good edrums amplification system.

If you are on the look out for something to make your electronic kit louder, put this at the top of your list of systems to try. It might not have the ''name'' but it definitely has the performance.

Simon Edgoose

Elantric

Hope to spend time with HK Audio NANO 608i this week end with Kemper / Helix / Axe-FX / GP-10  / GR-55 /VG-99 and post a review

whippinpost91850

Very interesting, Looking forward to hearing what you think of this with your gear. Especially the Kemper and GR55

rolandvg99

I have the 608ì on my list, but might opt for 2 DXR10s and a subwoofer.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Elantric

For me its all about what fits in the car - and most of my gigs occur in small - modest size rooms and dont need ear crushing volume

My typical live gig experience

rolandvg99

Kind of the same scenario in which I use my HK Lucas Nano 600 and Mackie DL1608. It's perfect for my 3 piece BeatBuddy-as-drummer gigs. I mostly use it in a mono setup as it sounds more balanced.

It does however struggle to keep up with the 22x20 inch Sonor bass drum used in our Blues/Rock trio. An extra 600/608 might just do the trick.

whippinpost91850

My drummer uses a 40 yr old Sonar Kit and its way too loud and projecting for the smaller gigs

rolandvg99

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on September 23, 2016, 11:47:03 AM
My drummer uses a 40 yr old Sonar Kit and its way too loud and projecting for the smaller gigs

This kit makes a whole lotta sound:

whippinpost91850

Yep just a few more cymbals then my drummer uses.....LOL