Peavey Vypyr Vip2 or?

Started by myksara, June 26, 2014, 08:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

I was looking for a practice amp for home use
as well as for small gigs at a controlled volume.
The peavey vypyr vip 2 looks like a lot of stuff in a small package.

I don't intend to use the amp with the gr55 but if it does sound good with the gr55 then thats a plus.
just want something so that I dont have to lug around different gadgets amps and cables.

any opinions if you have used this and others?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

JolietJake

The Fender Mustang II (V2) is amazing.
It's 40W and has a full range amplifier & speaker (this is debated all over the internet but sounds pretty full range when you use an mp3 player on the AUX input).
One of the amplifier models is also a full range studio pre-amp which gives you a clean full range sound for the GR-55 sounds.
Additionally the amp is loud enough for small gigs and is incredibly light to carry.
Its definitely worth a look at.

Check this out for a comparison on practice amps:

vtgearhead

Not relative to the Vypyr Pro, but it wasn't obvious where else to post this.  I just received my brand new VIP 2 yesterday ($149 deal from Adorama - thanks to Elantric for the tip).
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3207.msg127545#msg127545
I understand that an amp in this price range is going to have its limitations, but there is major fizz on all notes even at modest levels of overdrive.  It doesn't seem to be affected by the treble control on the amp, so I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a DSP artifact.  That's doubly disappointing since Peavey makes major claims for their tube emulation.  Is this typical for the unit or do I have a bad one?

Elantric

It's no AxeFX and Hartley places a bit too much credence in The Tone Kings "ears" on TTK's YouTube channel
And if VIP2 is too fizzy for you, then avoid a Vypyr Pro ( both are still here in my shop)

But be sure you are understanding the input structure and Instrument Type buttons on far left

There are 2 electric Guitar modes , one Acoustic Mode and a Mode for Bass Guitars

Wrong mode = major fizz

But for $150, just bypass the fizzy DSP Models  and use it like a Powered cab by feeding it's 3.5mm Aux Input with your superior Kemper/Amplifire/GP-10/ GR-55/Helix /etc. 

And google search for mods on this model.

vtgearhead

I'm running my PRS Custom 24 directly into the unit and have 'electric 1' selected.  Unless I'm missing something, this should be a valid match up.  The fizz is not subtle, to the point where my wife commented that it sounded like a kazoo was in the cabinet.  It's bad enough that I'm starting to suspect a rubbing voice-coil on the speaker.  It's almost like the world's worst fret buzz.

I'm going to plug an audio sine-wave generator into the aux jack and sweep it for mechanical noise this evening.

Elantric

Re-try with "Electric 2" Instrument setting

should sound like this
! No longer available

vtgearhead

I'm beginning to think this may be yet another case of overrunning the AD converter.  My Fender Mustang III cleaned up a lot after taking your advice and placing a -6dB pad in front of the input.  Might be worth trying on the VIP as well.  Didn't have much time to play around today, but backing down the guitar volume seems to smooth things out a bit.  I wish more vendors would design in a switchable pad or trimpot.

Elantric

If you feed Vypyr VIP2's input signal from a guitar with high output pickups, it's a can of bees. And lands you in "fizzy kazoo land".

I have no problem achieving smoother tones when using  guitars with mag pickups which exhibit peak to peak voltage swing  similar to 1950's vintage PU signal output ( Gibson Burstbucker, TVJones Filtertrons , Reverend P90"s all work well for me

Where a EB/MM Luke with 18 volt EMG"s sound like a can of bees

I still treat the input of a DSP Amp Modeler same as input of a 1995 DAT Tape machine , I must leave enough headroom for fast transient response. And avoid input signal going past the clipping  point, which is lower in the VYPYR VIP2 compared to a AXEFX/AX8.

But remember - this is a $150 amp with a $20 DSP  - its not going to sound like an AXE-FX with Dual $340 Tiger SHARC' DSPs

vtgearhead

All good suggestions, but even with 20dB of attenuation between guitar and amp the artifacts remain.  Clean sounds (using "green" channel of modeled amplifiers) are crystal clear with no sign of fizz or distortion.  If I go even a little bit into overdrive the intermodulation is stunningly obvious.  Example:  Play B and E strings individually at the 12th fret and you get what you'd expect.  Play them together and there's a very prominent E note two octaves below at roughly the same volume as the top strings!  But, at least that's musical.  Intervals of 3rds sound like something out of a grade-C horror movie soundtrack.  Really wretched.

I'd return it, but that will cost me around $30 and Adorama claws back $35 from my original purchase price to offset the "free" shipping. Naturally this is not really discussed at the time you plunk your money down below the "Best return policy in the business" claims.  Since I paid $149 for the unit, a return makes no financial sense.  Looks like I'm stuck with a rather stylish doorstop.

admin

QuoteI'd return it, but that will cost me around $30 and Adorama claws back $35 from my original purchase price to offset the "free" shipping. Naturally this is not really discussed at the time you plunk your money down below the "Best return policy in the business" claims.  Since I paid $149 for the unit, a return makes no financial sense.  Looks like I'm stuck with a rather stylish doorstop.

Donate it to your local Guitars Not Guns program for a $150 tax deduction
http://guitarsnotguns.org/#about

http://guitarsnotguns.org/chapters/
QuoteUsing music as a catalyst we encourage children and teens to use their creativity to foster personal development and to help divert them from the destructive influences of drugs, alcohol, and gang-related violence.
— Guitars not Guns —