GK-3- Can pickup be fixed? (Pickup mounting nightmare)

Started by Spatzi, April 25, 2015, 08:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spatzi

The piece that sits between the magnets on the high E string pickup has popped out. It looks like a piece of plastic. Putting it back in the slot but no sound from that string. I don't see any solder points. Can this be fixed? I doubt it. I might have to buy a new gk3 pickup for $160 or live with one dead string.

My problems started with the lack of clearance between the pick up and the high E string of my guitar. (Parker fly mojo) The other major problem is the gk3 pickup only came with one piece of double stick tape, which didn't really adhere well. (Slight curve in guitar makes only one side of pu stick well) I have been unable to find any store bought THIN double stick tape that is really strong.

For a while I was forced to use blue tack to keep the pick up on the guitar. It always moved around, my hand hit the end of the pickup at the top of the guitar, getting in the way of my comfort, live shows were ruined by the pickup raising off the guitar,  blocking the high E string, forcing me to press the pick up back down in the middle of an interrupted solo. It's driving me nuts.

I did buy some double stick sponge tape that actually works, but it's still too thick, and I don't get enough clearance on the high Estring. I solved one problem by reversing the pick up so that the cable end comes out the bottom. I even tried sanding down the plastic on the bottom of the pick up to make it thinner. I have tried higher action on the guitar but it does not work for me. I have adjusted the tiny screw on the pu far as it can go and lowered the pickups, some are flush with the base but the damn high E pu will not go down. If it dropped down even one mm I would  have enough clearance.

Ironically, now that the plastic piece between the magnets has come out I'm actually getting enough clearance to keep the action low.

I can keep playing it like this and just live with only five active synth strings but it does bug me that I don't have access to the high E. Usually I mix my signal through two amps. one is guitar, the other amp does the synth. Playing this way I don't really notice the missing synth high Estring because the guitar signal is covering that up. Sometimes I like to play synth alone when I'm recording and then I'm definitely going to miss the high Estring output.

If I'm going to start with the reinstallation of a brand-new GK 3 pick up I need to find a really strong double stick tape that is thin, similar to what comes with the Gk3. Or, I need to remove the plastic base of the pickup and replace it with a thinner base but that could be really tricky.

And that also means removing the tape that is already stuck in there and the fun of getting the residue off. What would you use for removing that? Does anybody have any STRONG AND THIN double-sided tape suggestions?

Ugh. I love the sounds I get from the roland but the PU  install is such a hassle. If parker fly midi Guitars were cheaper I would've just bought one that already had pickup installed inside the guitar but that would cost $5000.

admin

Contact local Roland support

Roland Canada Ltd.
170 Admiral Blvd.
Mississauga ON L5T 2N6
phone: 905.362.9707
fax: 905.362.9708

http://www.roland.ca/company/contact_us/