GR-55 - Realistic Guitar Modeling for GR-55 Virtual Guitars

Started by jonathanf106, June 13, 2016, 06:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathanf106

I been trying for weeks now, to tweak my virtual guitars tones to match the realistic tone of my physical guitars. I tried using analyzing programs to measure the tone difference in (Hz) of a plucked string or chord. It's kinda frustrating trying accurately adjust the tone using the EQ on the patch to achieve the tone quality you're replicating. Then I thought to myself there must be an easier way to do this. Then I thought I shouldn't be trying to replicating a tone but just modifying pre-amps parameters, EQ. I should also be trying to model a particular pickup tone quality itself. So I been researching and the best way to determine the quality of a pickup is reading the DC resistances of the Neck, Middle, Bridge pickups, since GR-55 allows you to select a position to use, I figure this should be easy, but just looking at DC resistance charts online for different pickups and using the patch EQ to achieve the same sound. Then I turn back on the preamp and other FX after the tone is just about right.

This is the chart I was looking at:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/product-news/pickup-comparison-chart

I wanted create patches modeling other guitars like PRS SC and SE series, wondering would i use a H-H strat or LP body for that.
If anybody know the DC resistances for the Classic 57' and Burstbucker Pro pickups please let me know, I would like to emulate those tones as well.

With the amount of money this device cost $799, I believe it should at least let me realistically replicate the true realistic tones of popular pickups.

Jim Williams

I think Roland had certain guitar and pickups in mind when they made the COSM guitar models. It is a matter of what you have is what you get. The VG-99 had some more options for creating custom models however he GR-55 does not. It is more of a guitar synth and not a guitar effects processor/modeler. It can do more but the VG-99 is still the best Guitar modeling processor you can get.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

jonathanf106

Quote from: Jim Williams on June 13, 2016, 07:48:49 AM
I think Roland had certain guitar and pickups in mind when they made the COSM guitar models. It is a matter of what you have is what you get. The VG-99 had some more options for creating custom models however he GR-55 does not. It is more of a guitar synth and not a guitar effects processor/modeler. It can do more but the VG-99 is still the best Guitar modeling processor you can get.

Okay Thanks Jim, That helps a lot. I know there isn't much customization with the GR-55 COSM guitar tone like the VG-99, I'm not sure if they use just stock pickups for COSM guitars, but I want to at least to be able to tweak some of the parameters to get it some what close to popular model's tone.

Elantric

jonathanf106

Quote from: Elantric on June 13, 2016, 09:42:19 AM
When comparing Guitar pickups,  There is more to it than just measuring the DC resistance of the coils
further reading
:o

I aware that measuring dc resistance is not the only thing that determines the quality and tone of a pickup. There's polarity, coil wounding, different types of magnets, etc, even the type of amp used on certain pickups affect the tone, I'm just tryna use the limited parameters that GR-55 has, VG-99 allows you to do whole alot more.

Changing the EQ for the virtual guitars you can achieve the real tone you looking for.

http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/mixing_excerpt1.htm