What should I get - any hints

Started by Confused, October 04, 2011, 02:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confused

Decided to drag myself kicking and screaming into 21st century. Trying to decide between a VG strat or Gibson robotic or VG-99 and FC-300. In particular what does the VG-99 come with? Guitar or is it a pick up that I fit to one of my own guitars.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group Confused!  :)

The VG uses the GK-3 that you would put on one of your guitars. You can also plug a regular guitar into it and use all the FX in it but you would be missing out on about 60%-80% of the best stuff the VG-99 does.

Confused

Hi Brent
Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Just wondering whether VG-99 is a bit of an overkill. Basically I play songs with different tunings and use different guitars dependent on sound. Wife is a bit pear shaped about having 14 odd guitars lying around the back patio.(plus the others strewn through out the house). Was hoping to get something to limit this to 2 or 3 guitars thus saving myself a world of pain. Not really looking a billion sounds or non guitar sounds.

Elantric

Sounds like you want a Tyler Variax to me. And perhaps a POD HD500

The Fender VG Strat is "dead" and closed ended - i dont recommend them in 2011.

Same with Gibson Robots, High failure rate and you need an act of god to get things fixed when they break (which they all will at some point) 

True the VG-99 may be overkill for you, but worth checking out if you have several guitars already and can install a GK-3 pickup and like to tweak / solder.

The GR-55 is a bit fiddly and is principally aimed for guys who want "non guitar" sounds.

If you want to have a guitar you can use right out of the box, play  at gigs and know the custom cable will survive being stepped on several times and get max enjoyment with Alt Tunings on the fly, and 25 different guitar tones at a turn of a dial, and  a solid future of a steady factory support network pre and post sale, look at a Tyler Variax as they are now available most places now.

If you want to input MIDI into a Computer  / IPad guitar tab generator program, I suggest get a You Rock Guitar. $199 or less.

(Edit - all above  was written in 2011

in 2016 we now have more choices (search on "FTP" , "ATG" )

Confused

Thanks Elantric - shall look them up
I'd scrap the wife but that can be very expensive.

aliensporebomb

The real question is: what do you want to do?

Are you a sonic explorer?  A sonic iconoclast who keeps getting kicked out of bands due to your far reaches into the light years beyond of guitar sounds scares your audience?

Or do you just want to play rock and roll guitar with some good clean tones, dirty tones plus some standard effects?

Or do you want to have clean and dirty guitar sounds plus the ability to use synthesizer type sounds?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Confused

To be blunt I just want to play guitar. Dependent on what I want play I need different tuning on different guitars. That's why I first got excited about the VG strat. Has nearly everything I want (1/2 tone down being a notable exception) and looks simple to use. But once you get into this modeling roundabout you get very lost (particularly when your technologically inept as myself). Was hoping there was someone on here that could temper my enthusiasm and tell me ups and downs of each. Did I mention myself and technology aren't friends.

Elantric

I still suggest a Tyler  Variax.

When you go into Alt Tune mode on the Tyler Variax there is much less warble compared to the older VG Strat. As your needs grow The Tyler is a better purchase

Confused

I agree Elantric
After studying up on your suggestion the Variax seems to be user friendly
And it has 1/2 tone down alt tuning.
Downfall only models one strat.

But I shall feed that addiction by buying the JTV69 lookalike.

Thank you for your suggestion and time.
Saved me heaps of pain.

Elantric