VG-99 Assign Source=Input Level

Started by supernicd, July 09, 2014, 05:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

Can anyone point me to a patch that makes effective use of this assignment?  The manual is a bit light on this subject.  I'm assuming it functions as an envelope follower?
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

In "Roland Speak" there was an old Boss pedal called the "Slow Gear" that essentially gave you a Volume Swell for every chord stab. It was in input signal  controlled VCA - also there are VG-99 patches that dynamically change from COSM Chain A tone to COSM CHAIN B Tone as you pick harder. 

All above are typical examples of using the VG-99's   Assign Source=Input Level.

supernicd

I was wondering if it could be used to, say, increase the wet/dry or depth parameter of some effect after the initial attack of the note (assuming you're playing monophonic type guitar here).  So just as a random example, the attack of each note is a clean unaffected sound, and as you sustain the note, the gain on a distortion effect gets swept up from zero to to max.

Other examples:  vibrato or tremolo is applied as you sustain each note, but when you pick a new note, it starts unaffected again.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteI was wondering if it could be used to, say, increase the wet/dry or depth parameter of some effect after the initial attack of the note (assuming you're playing monophonic type guitar here).

These VG-99 secrets (and more) are unlocked only after you launch the VG-99 Editor and spend lots of time reviewing Control Assignments page 

davep2000

check this out

VG-99 Neal Schon Live 2012 patch
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10572.0

Smash did a great patch that demonstrates the use of input level as an assign source

in this case, increased input level turns down the effect level

just like 'ducking or ducked' delay and reverb

the effect is more pronounced when you stop or play quieter, but doesn't drown your guitar when you play harder

download the mid file and see how it works

:)

supernicd

Awesome, thanks for the link and the suggestions.  Sounds like this assign source does roughly what I thought it does.  I'll be checking Smash's patch out soon - a good example always helps!

So many cool secrets tucked away in the VG-99.  So little time!
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

sixeight

I have used it for controlling the gain to increase the dynamic level of an amp. It worked, but it never sounded natural. I found better responding amps on the GR55.

supernicd

That is interesting, as I was just thinking almost this exact thing, at this exact moment.  I am using one of the Marshall models for a few songs with an LP model guitar.  It does clean up when you roll the volume back, but you have roll it back pretty far for this to happen. Roll back a little bit further and there's no volume.  So there's a sweet spot and immediately after, a danger zone on the GK-3 Vol control.

I wasn't necessarily thinking about an assign using input level as a source, but rather the mixer feature that switches signal paths based on picking strength.  Chain B could be identical to Chain A but with the gain set a bit higher.  A little disappointing to hear  you got an unnatural sounding result using the assign.  I wonder if this would be any different...
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

sixeight

To me I felt the gain was rolled back too soon. Therefore I would lose sustain on the notes played. The magic of a dynamic amp is that the gain is being held while the note sustains. I could never emulate that with the input pedal.

supernicd

In that case maybe the dual chains switched by picking strength may work better.  I'm assuming that method holds the current chain active until it receives a new note, whereas input level is more of a continuous control signal.  I don't know, the documentation is fairly lightweight on both of these topics.  I'll have to play.  Will report results if I get any good ones (and maybe bad ones too).
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

musicman65

I use the Dynamic feature to adjust between A and B on the Tommy Tutone song "867-5309 (Jenny Jenny)". It has a clean chimney intro and the rhythm guitar afterwards has some dirt. If I pick clean and light, A chimes through with a Fender-ish tone, and hard picking gives me Marshal dirt on B. The Blend is never 100% either way, just a subtle shift. It works nicely. Ctrl 2 on my FC300 gives me a lead boost and Distortion box on B for the solo.

I use the GK signal as an assign to inversely control the delay mix on Bob Seager's "Her Strut" solo. It allows the delay to only come through in the absence of playing. Ducked, if you will.

supernicd

Good stuff.  I was planning something even more subtle  - just increasing the dynamic range of one amp with this method.  So maybe it will work!  Also want to give some of these ducking tricks a try.  Sounds like good fun.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

supernicd

After a bit of playing and tweaking this morning, I'm happy to report that this whole dynamic blending based on input level (the one on the mixer - haven't tried anything with the assign yet) is a smashing success!  I have really been able to expand the dynamic range of this amp by having it both in chain A and chain B with the gain set at different settings and an 80/20, 20/80 blend based on the input.  The promo videos I've seen of this feature use it for something more extreme but it seems to work great for something more subtle like expanding dynamic range for a truer amp-like performance.

My band decided to do a cover of Shine by Collective Soul and I think it's going to work great for this.  Nice and clean on the little riff during the verses with a light hand, and substantially more gain for the pre-chorus.  That and assigning moving in and out of drop D to CTL 1 on the FC-300 will let me play the pre-chorus as intended, and then switch back to standard tuning to let a big G chord ring out on the chorus.  The transition between these various pieces is sounding pretty darned natural to me.

This is a pretty happy VG-99 victory for me.  I've noodled with this song through the years but have never really been able to pull everything together for a performance that I'm happy with until now.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10