VG-99 - newbie needs help... please

Started by iainaw, June 16, 2014, 03:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iainaw

Just bought a vg 99 and i want to do a couple of things, and am struggling... Firstly queut simply i want to use the exp pedal 1 on the fc-300 to do a high pass filter like the ribbon does, bit all i can get it to do is switch it in are out. And i would like to be able to control the amount via the pedal... The manual ain't helping
secondly the patch level will not save after i press Write in the user presets and all presets return to a value of 200 ??!!
in sure its just the learning curve, but a whole morning spent and im going slightly mad the volume issue is key to balance my levels between patches...
was hoping to roll it out for a gig thus week.... But need to sort issues first
thanks for all your help in advance
cheers
VG-99 & FC 300, GR-20, Mesa boogie Triaxis, TC Electronics G-Force, Malmsteen Strat, Peavey Wolgang (with internal GK-3), Jackson Dinky, 50th Anniversary Strat, And other stuff ... Too much stuff ask my wife!...

aliensporebomb

Hi.  First of all you will want to install the VG-99 editor on your computer - it's much easier to navigate the VG-99 using this tool.

Secondly, in the VG-99 editor you can under the CONTROL ASSIGN area click on the FC-300 tab.
You can then under EXP PEDAL 1 change the PATCH LEVEL to RIBBON and from there select RIBBON and you probably want to select RESO from there.

The other thing: Patches 1-200 are readable/writeable, patches 200-400 are readable only (you can't overwrite them). 
If you are finding your patches aren't writing you might want to do a factory reset and start all over.

There are many patches here available for download: you can actually learn a lot about programming the VG-99 just by seeing how certain patches are programmed.

I hope that helps!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

iainaw

Will a factory reset mean i have to update the firmware again... ?
will try anyway, was trying to save the preset level in the user presets but it wont store.
and ill use the pc editor as you suggested
thanks so much!
iain
VG-99 & FC 300, GR-20, Mesa boogie Triaxis, TC Electronics G-Force, Malmsteen Strat, Peavey Wolgang (with internal GK-3), Jackson Dinky, 50th Anniversary Strat, And other stuff ... Too much stuff ask my wife!...

Elantric

QuoteWill a factory reset mean i have to update the firmware again... ?
No

read

VG-99 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0

iainaw

Brent Flash

Quote from: iainaw on June 16, 2014, 03:11:56 AM
Firstly queut simply i want to use the exp pedal 1 on the fc-300 to do a high pass filter like the ribbon does, bit all i can get it to do is switch it in are out. And i would like to be able to control the amount via the pedal... The manual ain't helping
Your answer for this is on this thread. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5382.msg76377#msg76377

Brent Flash

Quote from: iainaw on June 16, 2014, 03:11:56 AM
secondly the patch level will not save after i press Write in the user presets and all presets return to a value of 200 ??!!
This is probably due to you having a controller's target set to this parameter and even though you have saved it, the controller (probably a foot pedal) is pressed all the way forward and is resetting it to 200 each time you recall it. The setting ASSIGN HOLD will have to be OFF for you to be able to recall a stored level otherwise the pedal position at the time you recall will determine what level comes up.

iainaw

You lot are bloody ace!!!... Thanks, learning curve getting less!!

iainaw

If i were to factory reset which should i choose?? So I can keep the firmware version 1.04 and gk- 3 settings... Just 'reset the rest of the vg-99

iainaw

Ok I'm nearly there but for the life of me I cannot get the Fc300 foot pedal to do more then switch the filter from the ribbon controller in and out... And I need to be able to replicate what the ribbon does...ie a gradual sweep depending on finger / foot placement.

Any help would be great!

Brent Flash

Quote from: iainaw on June 17, 2014, 08:09:03 AM
Ok I'm nearly there but for the life of me I cannot get the Fc300 foot pedal to do more then switch the filter from the ribbon controller in and out... And I need to be able to replicate what the ribbon does...ie a gradual sweep depending on finger / foot placement.

Any help would be great!
I posted a patch in the thread that I gave you a link to, just load that and look at how the controllers are set up. Here is the link again. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5382.msg76377#msg76377

iainaw

My bad!.... Thanks... Will give it a go, but it is all kinda coming together now... I may even roll it out for a few songs at a show thursday night

iainaw

Aha!!... It works, many thanks Brent, Elantric & Aliensporebomb... You are the dogs rear undercarriage