VG-99 - is my Guitar's intonation important with the vg 99?

Started by gabrielunique, June 04, 2008, 03:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabrielunique

hello
what i need to know is if my guitar have a bit of bad intonation... would that also affects the vg-99?

Elantric

Quotewhat i need to know is if my guitar have a bit of bad intonation... would that also affects the vg-99?

YES!

ROLAND VG-99 Manual says:
Quote• Be aware that string buzz due to a warped neck or worn frets, or faulty octave adjustment, can cause problems such as wrong notes being produced.
• This unit does not support 7-string guitars/basses or other non-standard guitars/basses. Check the Web for details about installing GK pickups

• On the Roland website, the "GK-3/3B Installation Tips" page provides an explanation and photos on how to attach a GK pickup. Be sure to take a look! http://www.roland.com/GK/

• When tuning a guitar that's equipped with a vibrato arm, tuning one string may cause other strings to drift out of tune. In this case, start by tuning each string approximately, so that the correct note name is shown, and then retune each string repeatedly until all strings are tuned correctly.

Learn how here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11100.msg81014#msg81014

Radley

This is what I would call a very concise exchange of words....no ornamentation or filling in the blanks! ;o)

~Rad~

Rojoyinc

I wondered if they could add a pitch correction in the VG99 - would be nice for poor intonation. Though I figured bends would be a problem. (eliminated?) unless it was quick enough to allow a intentional bend in pitch if it senses the pitch climbing or dropping, and if not - (just if the note is a bit sharp or flat and steady it could apply pitch correction).  Sounds like it would be nice to have... such a thing possible or not fefasible?
Ron, GR, MI
Strats (John Mayer & AmDlx Ash) Fretlight
Gibson LP cust
Tayor T5 Koa, Solidbody walnut custom
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth
Line6 UX8, Mesa LonestarSP, Fender Acoustasonic
MicroCube, Fender Champ 600, BR-600, DP-02CF PortaStudio
HarmonyMan, VocalistLive4, CuBase, SECURITY SYSTEM ;-)

Kevin M

Quote from: Rojoyinc on October 10, 2008, 07:51:59 PM
I wondered if they could add a pitch correction in the VG99 - would be nice for poor intonation. Though I figured bends would be a problem. (eliminated?) unless it was quick enough to allow a intentional bend in pitch if it senses the pitch climbing or dropping, and if not - (just if the note is a bit sharp or flat and steady it could apply pitch correction).  Sounds like it would be nice to have... such a thing possible or not fefasible?

Intonation problems reside in the guitar itself, and as such, need to be corrected there.  Pitch correction in real-time (if it is even possible) seems like it would be responsively slow at best at this point in time.  If recording digitally, then slight pitch adjustments can be made after the fact w/o affecting the recording too much.  Just my two cents.

Elantric

QuoteI wondered if they could add a pitch correction in the VG99

Well - thats never going to happen

Trivia - the 1995 -1998 VG-8 / VG-8EX had an "Autotune" function, but it was not real time nor corrected intonation errors on your instrument -

If you need that, or want to play Fretless Guitar with workable Professional results  - use what Dweezil Zappa uses  - the Antares AutoTune for Guitar system