Looking for help with 12 STRING patch using normal (Mag) pickups..

Started by Cam Grant, June 03, 2015, 01:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cam Grant

Just wondering if anyone has had luck creating a reasonable 12 String effect with a Mag pickup... i have no problem when using the GK pickups, but i'm doing show where i only use a Tele, and a Rick (both 6 strings), and i need to get a better 12 string effect from the VG99... has anyone tried this?.. did you have any luck?.. because i've tried everything, and other than using the chorus and eq'ing, i'm stumped.. oh, and i cant afford a real 12 string without selling one of the kids, so...that's out.
Thanx in advance!
GT1000-CORE, VG-99, VG-88 , Custom GK loaded Strats, & Teles. Taylor Acoustic, Rickenbacker 330, Rickenbacker 620,VOX AC15, AC10.

Brent Flash

The transpose feature of the VG-99 depends on each string having a pickup so that each string can be transposed separately so that is why you can't get the 12 string to work without the GK pickup.

stratrat

You can use a +8ve up pitch shifter (12 semitones up), but it's a compromise as a real 12 doubles the high e and b strings instead of octaving them. So a shifted mag pickup will always have something of a plinky mandolin-like quality to it. Still, better than nothing.

So try shift up an octave and mix about 15-25% of the shifted tone in with the original. EQing off some of the highs on the shifted signal will help the plinkiness and chorusing the shifted signal will thicken it up (I prefer fine tuning the shifter so it's about 6 cent sharp or flat - that thickens it up without the modulated pitch warble you get from a chorus).