TC HELICON VOICESOLO FX150 anyone?

Started by Litesnsirens, June 18, 2014, 05:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Which Bose L1?
(there are several generations and models out there now)

All Bose L1 Systems will suffer lack of bass if you omit using the Boss L1 Bass Module  - the FX150 will have more bass than a single Bose L1 column without the Bass Module.

The Bose L1 systems offer wide dispersion and I'm sure they go much louder than the VoiceSolo FX150.

IMHO  - two Voicesolo FX150's should work fine for a solo act at small gigs  - and here's another useful hint, - Many folks at the restaurant  / bar/ coffeehouse you perform in are there to visit and chat with friends - and prefer to find a location to sit in the Venue where they are "off axis" and far away from the music speakers.  - so I add this as a plus for the FX150

Vade

@Which Bose L1?

I was thinking about the Bose L1 Compact on its own for jamming and small gigs at lower volume. For a bigger gig I'd bring along the Bose B1 subwoofer and if that wasn't enough it'd be FOH. If the L1 really needs the B1 at all times then it won't work as a lightweight solution. I'll head over to GC and give the L1 Compact a test drive to see how I feel about it. What I doubt I'd be able to test out is two FX150's running together and so this seems a good place to ask. I did note Litesnsirens OP observation that...

"I think it would do vocals alone .. so an either/or (guitar or vocals) kind of deal but I don't know if you could cut it with both.  I'd have to test it in an actual jam situation but it seems to me that when you crank it up with both plugged in there is some sort of compression that happens when you are playing and singing at the same time almost like the guitar is ducking."

I'd much rather spend a couple of hundred for a second FX150 rather than dropping a grand on an L1 Compact but I'm interested in what the folks who already own two FX150's feel about the performance with both channels engaged.

@ IMHO  - two Voicesolo FX150's should work fine for a solo act at small gigs  - and here's another useful hint, - Many folks at the restaurant  / bar/ coffeehouse you perform in are there to visit and chat with friends - and prefer to find a location to sit in the Venue where they are "off axis" and far away from the music speakers.  - so I add this as a plus for the FX150

That is a useful hint and one I wouldn't have thought of so thank you. So a vote for two FX150's for small gigs but I still wonder if it would take me from a small jam through to needing to plug into FOH and use a much more serious PA. Perhaps it's asking too much of a lightweight solution (plus a subwoofer when needed) and I just haven't figured that out yet.

Edit: Apparently the L1 Compact includes the base module and is incompatible with the B1. Still researching...

Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

I'm playing three small low volume gigs before NAMM

The drummer is using a Suitcase drum kit

Using Godin LGX-SA, xtSA, Boss-GP-10 , EV-5, TRS 1/4" cable feeding one TC HELICON VOICESOLO FX150

I love the FX150 - smallest amp that does not "fart & Flub" the speaker when used with DSP Modeling systems

I own two FX150s and with their Tannoy coax drivers are simply the best sounding amplifications system in the small form factor

Elantric

I played a private party last Friday - using the GP-10 and TC Helicon FX-150

The FX-150 works great with GP-10 - easy to get great guitar tones.  I just ran GP-10 Left Mono Out into Channel #2 Line Input on FX-150 and had GP-10 Volume midway up, and FX120 Volume on 1:00-o'clock.

Great sound, many compliments on my Guitar tone, as I went from Acoustic, to Acoustic 12 string to Normal PU feeding Matchless COSM Amp - all in the same patch  I played my Godin LGX-SA
Very effective and small on the tight space back porch where we performed .     

Elantric

Played a small bar as a three piece during a songwriters showcase

Kristen: Acoustic Guitar Vocal

Daryl: Suitcase Drum set  - for low volume

Me: Godin LGX-SA>Boss GP-10>TC Helicon FX-150 and used the XLR Di Out on FX-150 into the House PA
and I used many patches that allow me to "pan" between COSM Acoustic Models that sound real, and Normal PU on LGX-SA ( which are a pair of Seymour Duncan P.A.F. type humbuckers with coil splitter on a 5 -way PU sel switch) using the GP-10 COSM Amp Modeling / FX for solos

Worked perfectly  - and this is the best reliable mini rig Ive ever used

thebrushwithin

QuoteWorked perfectly  - and this is the best reliable mini rig Ive ever used

Have you tried it with your Kemper yet? Love the size!

joaobraga

I also was considering to use a couple of FX150 for stereo monitoring
of gp10/kemper + keyboard.

I am using now a yamaha dxr10 that I like very much but it is heavier,
mono and very expensive to buy another one.

I don't need to much power, all I need is detailed stereo monitors.

Elantric

My Pair of FX-150s work EXCELLENT with VG-99.GR-55/GP-10/Kemper/GSP-1101/GNX3000/ Ipad running Yonac ToneStack/Positive Grid BIAS -

I love the FX-150 - goes loud enough for stage monitoring, could mix a record on  a pair of them , and play venues  / stages that are typically deemed too small for live music 

The FX-150 features a Tannoy Coax Time Aligned driver in a small self powered 150 watt cab

I could play a Starbucks USA Tour with just my GP-10 and  FX-150 and pay for bus fare with just revenue from tip jar
http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicesolo-fx150/

More You Shining Through
No one cares more about your music than you, but what does it matter when stage or rehearsal conditions don't allow you to control your sound or even hear yourself properly? VoiceSolo FX150 solves that. An all-in-one, kick-ass personal PA, vocal monitor, instrument amplifier and vocal reverb unit, it puts your music and your needs for control front and center. Finally, you have more you.
6.5? 2-way coaxial Tannoy speaker and 150W of premium musical clarity and power.
3-Channel Digital Mixer with TC-Helicon Vocal Processing, including Reverb, intelligent EQ and Compression.
Instant mic-stand mounting with our unique one-click Easy Grip system

Feature List
150W Class-D amplifier
Full range 6.5? Tannoy 2-way coaxial ICT driver
Ultra-low noise 3-channel digital mixer
3-band EQ with individual channel control
High-quality mic preamps
XLR/TRS combo inputs with automatic mic/line switching
Integrated TC-Helicon vocal processing / DSP processing:
Adaptive Tone (Intelligent EQ, Compression, De-essing, Gating)
9 popular vocal Reverb styles from VoiceLive 3
Smart Power compensation and protection
Voice Cancel on Aux channel
Hi-Z instrument switch on Channel 1
Selectable Output – Choose between CHANNEL 1 (typically vocals) or FULL MIX for the OUT connection
True stage monitor pass thru
48V switchable phantom power
1/8" Aux input
One-click Easy Grip mic-stand mounting system
Lightweight, compact design – 3 kg / 6.6 lbs
Rigid, very low resonance high impact polystyrene enclosure
Mic Control™compatible
Efficient external power with ample stage cable length

joaobraga

Hehe, that's the way I like it! ;D

Thanks so much for your input Steve, now I know I need a pair of them.

AMV13

Hello! I am from Russia. for my English, I write with the help of an interpreter. Could you tell wiring diagram VG-99 to the FX-150. The manual says that you need to use the connector Is there any other way to connect? I'm a newbie! Sorry if you asked a stupid question!

Elantric

Just use a normal 1/4" Guitar cable

VG-99 1/4" Main Out >  FX150 Channel #2 Combo Input

AMV13

Majiken

Hmm, the idea of double-duty as live monitors PLUS nearfields for mixing makes this very enticing... the resolution is really good enough for nearfield mixing?
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

Quotethe resolution is really good enough for nearfield mixing?

At low volume - yes, the FX150's are very flat response

Just be mindful that at the extreme highest volume settings, the FX150's internal Amp has a built in compressor to prevent over excursion 6.5" Woofer and prevent distortion of the of the lower frequencies.   

Majiken

How would you rate these vs. the Cube Street EX? The TC's better in terms of sonic detail, the Cube more portable?
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

Tough choice

At this hour, I  prefer the Cube Street EX  - for option for battery power, and "all in one stereo.

I'm not experiencing the low speaker flub distortion that JerryCalli reported on his Cube Street EX when used with GR-55

I had no issues with Cube Street EX for Fat Synth Guitar or GP-10 generated Bass Sim - i used my jamman Solo XT Looper and had a lot of music from the small light Cube Street EX 

Both Cube Street EX   and FX150 go to similar decibel levels 

The FX150 I subtract points for its arcane 42V DC Power Brick that costs $80 to replace

Majiken

I think the battery thing, which is missing in my arsenal right now, plus the similar db levels will point me to the Roland. I really do struggle with missing the pure acoustic sound when I plug my LGX-T in at a gig, and having this as a monitor at my feet may just make it practicable. If I order it from Thomann, the 30 day return policy makes it no-risk. Now I just need to find the cash  :P

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

Elantric

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tc-helicons-singthing-combines-vocal-processing-and-a-speaker

When TC-Helicon says that its SingThing box is an all-in-one vocal processor, it really means it. Not only does it give you a suite of "production-calibre" effects, which are easily controlled, but it also comes with a built-in speaker. You even get a microphone, the TC-Helicon MP-75, in the box.

Other highlights include the Vloop performance looper, a guitar input (use it to guide the harmony and hardtune effects) and a MIDI input so that you can set the harmony key and scale from a keyboard. More than 200 presets come supplied - these are inspired by specific songs and artists - and there are more online.

The SingThing is set to be released in the Autumn priced at $400. Find out more on the TC-Helicon website.

danel59

Looking forward to learning more about the Singthing. I have had the FX150 for a few years now and love it. I use it for a personal monitor for vocals and my Kemper. Also used it for a mini PA for some retirement home gigs and worked quite well, but have thought of buying a second one for extra coverage or stereo for my Kemper. Hopefully the Singthing has enough connections that I could use this with FX 150 and have a great vocal processor all in stereo!