Digitech Trio / Digitech Trio Plus

Started by Elantric, February 03, 2015, 04:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracy

Interesting observation about the Band In A Box branding. I rechecked the original press release and there is no mention of Box. The Box logo has always been silkscreened on the back of the pedal (you can see it in the earliest video demos) but the photos on the Digi site don't show that side and the copy doesn't Box. The only mention of them in the manual is on the back cover where it says:

QuoteSome TRIO styles licensed from PG Music Inc ®, makers of Band-in-a-Box ®

Not sure if all this means anything but conspiracy theorists can feel free to take it from here.  :)

Quote from: mordecai on May 25, 2015, 05:59:41 AM
As soon as I see a Mac 2015 version (Band in a Box) I may just bite and see what the fuss is about.

My guess is that the Mac 2015 Band in a Box version will ship late 2017.
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

aliensporebomb

This is definitely something I'll want to try out - I've always thought BIAB in a pedal would be an interesting idea.  Well, we'll see how it goes.  I've yet to actually see one yet.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

pedwards2932

I am about ready to pull the trigger on this.  What interests me is if this will help me construct backing tracks quickly.  I have an older copy of band in the box and when I enter something simple like the chords to louie louie (I know but I use something really simple just to prove a concept) it is really difficult to get drums and bass that work with the song because finding the right style isn't that easy for me.  What I would like to do is feed the Trio the chords and it come up with acceptable backing that I can record into Cakewalk and then I can use the Cakewalk to enhance the overall sound.  I have Jamstix which really makes great drum tracks.....it would be great if there was a bass program out there that worked as well.

Alec Lee

Quote from: pedwards2932 on July 06, 2015, 03:54:46 AM
I am about ready to pull the trigger on this.  What interests me is if this will help me construct backing tracks quickly. 
One minor issue with using the Trio in this application is the lack of stereo outs or separate outputs for bass & drums.  That limits you to bass & drums both panned center and leads to the inability to adjust drum / bass volume balance after recording the track.

pedwards2932

Can't you turn down the volume on drums and record the bass then turn down bass and record drums.  Then just align the tracks so they are in time with each other?  Also do you get a BPM from the Trio?

Elantric

early reviews for Digitech TRIO

http://line6.com/support/topic/14706-hd500-with-digitech-trio-pedal/#entry107120
QuoteJust got my Trio tonight and straight out of the box it is the most fun pedal I have ever owned.  Easy to setup and use, I got the extra 3 button switch to go with it.  I set up a patch with my guitar in channel A and the FX loop in channel B feeding the Trio.  Dummy plug in the Trio amp output and feed the Trio mixer output back into channel B.  (that is only the drums and bass)  Put a reverb after the bass and drums and center the mixer block.  It sounds fantastic!  Only through headphones so far but I am stoked.

Played a funky chord sequence and it picked it up perfectly.  Sweep through the different styles and genres and get things I wouldn't have thought of on my own, all synced perfectly.  Changes tempo no problem.  This is going to take my practice, playing and song writing to a whole new level...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TrioPedal/reviews
QuoteTrio

I think many expect something different when they start using this band creator. The problem lies in teaching it and how you do that. Those who complain it does not render what they give it are being too complex, Simplify the teaching let it get the tempo you;re after and the basic root notes more so than trying to play fast chord chugga and whatnot. Learning to use it takes some time. Remember you can select different genre and style to what it comes up with to alter the rhythm. It will tend to play more bass notes on slower speed and changes each time the part is played with little embellishments and roll/fills on its own. I was amazed it changes bass tones and drums to various genres. Very, very cool device. I look forward to more advancements. Many are feeding the headphone out to a mixer for stereo fullness. Sound quality is OK for this level of cost and you can improve it if you know how. I am trying a BBE on mine, anyway, not a "beginner" toy, its how you are teaching it that is the problem.

QuoteDigitech Trio

I was sceptic about this pedal at first, but it was one of those take action kind of things and it ended up being my favorite pedal on my board. It responds so well to every little detail I play, each time it adds a bass line to the chords or notes I play it just gives me a little smile. It blows me away each time. I will defiantly be using this for playing at my restaurant gigs. I hope a future buyer is reading this, you won't be disappointed. Take action!

QuoteThe Perfect Practice Tool!

I received the Digitech TRIO from Sweetwater a little over 4 weeks ago and this awesome little box has made guitar practice not only more rewarding, but almost obsessive. It took less than 15 minutes to get set up and create my first jam session. My favorite feature is how the TRIO splits the bass and drum signals from the guitar signal. You can use an A/B effects switch box to send a clean guitar signal to the TRIO to get the rhythm pattern you want, then engage your pedal board and jam along using any amp. It works perfectly. It also sounds fantastic when you send the bass and drum signals to a mixer and PA speakers.

To change things up, I have been using the TRIO with my acoustic/electric guitar to improve my playing with the other genres. I plug the TRIO guitar output into channel one and the drums and bass into channel two on my Genz Benz Shenandoah 80LT. The stereo sound on the Genz Benz is fantastic, but any two-channel acoustic guitar amplifier that Sweetwater offers would perform just as well.

Hopefully, the next iteration of the TRIO will include the ability to select or add different percussion instruments, drum kits, bass sounds (maybe keyboards) and additional genres. For now, the TRIO is surprisingly affordable given its feature list and ease of use. Add that to Sweetwater's legendary service and support and the TRIO is clearly a great investment.

QuoteWhat a blast!

Blown away with this, Digitech has a winner! I've had it a month now and I use it every time I practice. I got together with another guitarist friend and we spent three hours running through song after song with only 30 seconds of setting the progression, then having a total blast going back and forth with Rhythm and Lead guitars, we even did multi-part songs. For the first incarnation it is perfect... and I can already see some opportunity to make the next version even greater with additional features. This pedal is going to try and be duplicated by many next year, but man the bar is high! This could be one of those classic pedals that most solo guitarists will eventually all have. What's even a nice little bonus i didn't expect; you can replace your bedroom amp with this pedal by using a headset or any speaker connected into the headphone jack and utilize the built in digital guitar FX to add clean, fat, boost, crunch to your playing, brilliant.... VERY VERY happy with this pedal.

QuoteTRIO + FS3X Footswitch = Addictive + Creative + Fun

I purchased the 3-button FS3X footswitch with the TRIO pedal and am glad I did because the TRIO turned out to be a good pedal and the footswitch makes it even better. (I really like the $180 pedal, but even more-so with the $50 footswitch).
Similar to other reviewers, my experience is the pedal is super-easy to use, does what it says, and has (to me) pretty good sounds and variety. I do like it as an alternative to looping, since looping can start to sound all the same (maybe that's because I'm not a great looper). Also, the headphone, amp, AND mixer outputs allow me to use it in several settings.
The only thing it didn't do was have the ability to keep playing the guitar input that it "learned" from. For some reason, I expected that to be able to keep playing if I wanted it to (like a looper on top of the bass and drums that the TRIO comes up with). It's still a very cool pedal without that.

QuoteReal Fun

I must admit, at first seeing this inexpensive processor based box for the first time, It looked like a toy. getting one and playing with it I found it has a real believable sound through a P.A. and Amp, The bass tracked the chords perfectly, the beat was not always ideal but easy enough to change, it has no brake/pause feature this can be a big limitation in some songs, the band plays continuous with seamless change from memory's 1,2 and 3 for Blues and pop it does a nice job, it is fun to work on songs change them around and have the Trio give a idea of what it would sound like, it's also great for students to work on timing and riff's, The Trio also does a nice fill in when band members don't show up, Trio turns out to be a real fun well made pedal, I do recommend the FS3X Foot switch. easier to change song parts and start/stop.

QuoteA Practice and Songwriting Tool

This was not I expected. I am not sure what I expected but I thought I could use this with my pedal board and my looper. It not going to work with a looper very well because it can't synchronize. And you can't play pedals in front of it because it can get confused as to the chords and mess up the progression and beat. So it has to go in front of the pedal board. But it is still and great tool, just not what I thought it was.
This is not a guitar effect, although it has effects. This is not a looping pedal, although it does play loops. It is a unique tool. All you have to do is play a chord progression and then it will play it back with great sounding drums and a realistic sounding bass player. It has almost endless variations in genre and style. It's easy to figure out. And it is great with head phones.
I used progressions from the song I like to play and it sounded good. It was better when I made up progressions myself and came up with new and original melodies. Too bad I didn't write them down or record myself. Now, is it worth $179? That depends on how much you like to practice because that is the purpose of the Trio Band Creator.

QuoteMay not be what you want!

The TRIO pedal does exactly what it advertised. Depending on your use for the unit, may cause one to order the optional pedal controller. Although the opt pedal is not necessary to achieve what it is suppose to do. Expect to spend considerable time (varys) to master this unit. Play simple chords FIRST, and teach the pedal. Remember, this is a dumb box that must "learn" your song. It probably will play back something you didn't expect because YOU didn't teach it. Practice!!!! By adjusting the tempo and using the "alt" button you will begin to see and hear the variations of drum and Bass parts.
I gave it a three star because, while I think this pedal is excellent for general practice ,especially for beginners or someone to have a rhytmn machine, it does not have the quality drum and Bass sounds I'd prefer. Of course, at the cost of this pedal, one should not expect top of the line sound such as other products available at Sweetwater. I throughly tested this unit through a full line stereo PA for best highs and lows. When we played simple general chords, nothing fancy, we found that it did NOT play back the kind of patterns we expected. It did play back very well just not what we thought is correct. Too many Bass notes played back. After adjusting the tempo and ALT button it kind of settled down. This is definitely not for the stage performer because one has to teach/load a new song each time for it to play.
Summary, its great for a practice unit (reason for this unit) but a bit disappointing when comes to sound quality and the inability to select Bass patterns!

QuoteJunk Pedal!

This pedal is good for one thing is for people who are beginners who want to learn how to keep a beat and play with the bass. I play a very easy rock rhythm the trio can't even give me a right beat or a right bass line! The bass line add to many note. If you are a speed or heavy fast metal guitar player that like to play fast rhythm like 16 note well just for get it because the trio do not have double bass drum. These drum beat in the trio are basic drum beat. When I first saw the demo on YouTube about the Trio it said what ever rhythm you play the trio will write a drum beat and bass line for you? I don't think so! The trio will give you a drum beat and bass line but it won't be what u want to hear! what they are giving you are some beat and bass line that don't even match with your rhythm! If you are a Pro musicians you do not want to buy this junk Pedal and try to compose music. Is not a bad pedal for beginners people. Who would want to play a rhythm in just one bar and keep the rhythm easy? Thanks

Fusion

I recently got a Trio and I love the thing. I use an A/B/Y on my guitar feed to give the Trio a clean signal to use but my guitar sound does not go though the Trio to my guitar amp rig. Marvelous technology. Teaching the unit is somewhat a learning curve as it is not going to do what you might expect but all in all the most satisfying and useful drum accompaniment unit ever! I also run a dual cable GR-55 and std guitar pedalboard set up. The Trio drum and bass outputs go to my EV synth rig not my std guitar rig line. A whole lot of fun the Trio and not very costly as well. I am a heavy fusion improv player and it is a a gift of the gods as far as I am concerned.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

pedwards2932

I decided since I had an old version of BIAB I would see what it would cost for an upgrade and since it was only 79.00 and it comes with Real Band thought I would give it a try first.  I am pretty impressed with what it can do for backing tracks so I am just not sure if the Trio would do anything other than having the ability for me to input the chord information by playing.  I may end up getting one anyway but I think for backing tracks the new version of BIAB is going to work better for me.

gumtown

Ha Ha !!
I love it when you get the odd one out,
I think your playing tempo needs to be at least little regular for it to learn.

Junk Pedal!

This pedal is good for one thing is for people who are beginners who want to learn how to keep a beat and play with the bass. I play a very easy rock rhythm the trio can't even give me a right beat or a right bass line! The bass line add to many note. If you are a speed or heavy fast metal guitar player that like to play fast rhythm like 16 note well just for get it because the trio do not have double bass drum. These drum beat in the trio are basic drum beat. When I first saw the demo on YouTube about the Trio it said what ever rhythm you play the trio will write a drum beat and bass line for you? I don't think so! The trio will give you a drum beat and bass line but it won't be what u want to hear! what they are giving you are some beat and bass line that don't even match with your rhythm! If you are a Pro musicians you do not want to buy this junk Pedal and try to compose music. Is not a bad pedal for beginners people. Who would want to play a rhythm in just one bar and keep the rhythm easy? Thanks
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mbenigni

This looks like a great practice tool.  If I can find one in stock locally, I think I'll run out and pick one up later today.

EDIT:  Hooray!  Scored one at lunch.  :)

mbenigni

Had about an hour last night to familiarize myself and briefly play with this thing.  I dig it!  Of course, my expectations were realistic - I expect this to serve primarily as a practice/educational tool.  I experience it as analogous to a metronome, except instead of just throwing rhythmic information at you, it's also throwing harmonic information at you.  Great for ear training, especially if you have an interest in jazz improv but tend to get lost in the form. <raises own hand>

As a first test, I was able to play through a relatively simple jazz blues thing (St. James Infirmary, one of very few standards I know by heart) without trying to dumb it down any, and the resulting bassline kept up just fine.  Similarly acceptable results with blues and pop figures.  The only place where the "content" is a bit lacking is in the heavy rock/ metal department.  In general it seems like the distinctions in style are more in the drum patterns/fills than in the bass.  The bass part likes to walk - great for jazz, but you get a sense that the rock styles are just more walking, except with a "complexity" parameter turned way down.  It never knows to get heavy and just hammer on the root, for instance.  (Or maybe I just haven't found that setting yet.)

I'm sure this will disappoint many who a) have too high expectations or b) don't understand the underlying technology (or music theory) well enough to teach it and make good use of it.  But I think it will find a market.  Actually, I expect it will be the first generation of a lot of related products: an immediate no-brainer improvement is to integrate a synchronized looper in the same box.  I imagine Digitech has already considered this, and only held off in order to keep the price manageable.  I'm about 99% certain we'll see new loopers from them with "accompaniment" features within a year or two.

Elantric

For new owners of Digitech Trio who can solder

DIY - plans to build your own Digitech  three button footswitch
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11382.0

Elantric

Test Pedal : DigiTech Trio Band Creator
"Band in a Box" - Creates bass and drum parts based on your guitar playing ...
Subscribe : http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSanSystem

Creates bass and drum parts based on your guitar playing

- 7 music genres and 12 song style
- Learns up to three different song parts that can be recalled on-the-fly
- Adjustable Tempo & Alternate Half Time/Double Time Variants
- Bass & Drum Level Controls
- Hands-free control using a DigiTech FS3X footswitch (optional)
- True Bypass
- Metal housing and footswitch
- Inputs: 6.3 mm mono instrument
- Outputs: 6.3 mm mono (Amp); 6.3 mm mono (mixer), 3.5 mm stereo /w level control (headphone)
- Mini USB port for firmware updates
- incl. Digitech 9V DC power supply
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 137.2 x 82.6 x 63.5 mm, Weight: 500 g

Amp : Mesa LoneStar Special : for Guitar
And : Fishman Loudboss Artist : for Trio Band Digitech
Guitar : Fender Telecaster Relic Thinline / Blade Delta
Rec : Sanyo HD2000 + Sony ECM999
Delay: NUX Time Force (Analog mode)

https://soundcloud.com/miand123

Digitech Trio Band Creator - Jazz & Funk & Fusion - Guitar Solos

0:00 - Chicken Mist
2:57 - Crab Again
4:54 - Missing Salad
6:54 - The Greenest Bean
9:30 - Fudge No Fudge
11:40 - Burnt
15:15 - The Last Napkin
18:55 - Cherry Finger

Leggi la recensione: http://www.accordo.it/article.do?id=8...
Il DigiTech Trio trasforma il famoso software Band In A Box in un pedale a misura di chitarrista, capace di imparare gli accordi suonati dal musicista e tradurli in un'orchestrazione completa di basso e batteria.

Elantric

Just got my Digitech Trio  - A Very Cool pedal - Only have 3 minutes to play with it today - but I tested it for some surf tunes, and the auto drums and bass backing were better than what I typically get when i hire a rhythm section  - already see this Digitech Trio will be a keeper, and making room in my SKB Briefcase for it

myksara

Does this pedal have guitar effects.any usable amp model/distribution/ chorus?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

mbenigni

Quote from: myksara on July 13, 2015, 02:02:49 AM
Does this pedal have guitar effects.any usable amp model/distribution/ chorus?

There are guitar effects but they are very, very minimal - just enough that you can practice along without additional gear if you so choose.  You don't have much control; there are two presets (and a bypass option) available for each of the musical styles.  I'd hesitate to call it amp modeling - more like EQ, plus mild drive for the lead setting.  There might be an extremely short slapback delay on the country setting - not sure but it actually felt pretty good for that genre.  For anything serious you're going to want to run your own external effects.

ETS

have this pedal.
a lot of fun.
when they put this in a multi loop looper .....
and a little more 'bands' in 5/4 or 7/8 tempos......
looking forward how this will go  in the future

mbenigni

Quote from: ETS on July 21, 2015, 05:54:48 AM
when they put this in a multi loop looper .....

This was my very first thought - an integrated pedal with the Trio band creator stuff and an onboard looper.  Having thought about it a bit more, I'm surprised they didn't at least add a "Jam Sync" input to allow it to synchronize with a JamMan Solo.  Next year, mark my words.  :)

tracy

Quote from: mbenigni on July 21, 2015, 09:00:39 AM
I'm surprised they didn't at least add a "Jam Sync" input to allow it to synchronize with a JamMan Solo.  Next year, mark my words.  :)

Yes, I agree. Next year. I really want it to have some kind of MIDI IO so it can sync up with the tempo of my Ableton rig.
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

pedwards2932

I still kind of want one of these but I went the BIAB route and I will have to say the newest version of BIAB is amazing.  They are using real tracks which are performed by studio musicians.....you couple that with a style selection and you can make just about any backing track imaginable.  You can also make your own user tracks by using a template.  What you do is you play your strum or whatever pattern with a music style and using a chord chart playing in several different keys.  This is recorded then when you build a song it will play back your recording in whatever chord you type in to the chart......really cool.  I can now make custom backing tracks for the duo I have been working on really easily.

Paresh

pedwards - what version of BIAB did you get that has the features you wrote about? I would be a first time user & I see they range from about $90-$500+. Thanks.
paresh

admin

2014 or newer versions of Band in Box have the real musician backing tracks. I just got the 2014 BIB version that includes connection to Fretlight guitar on sale for $28. It WAS in the Deals thread 2 weeks ago but it sold out in minutes.

pedwards2932

I got the 2015 BIAB MegaPak .....I am probably going to upgrade to the everything pak.  It has a lot more of the real tracks (1800).  They are pretty good about allowing you to upgrade without a price penalty.