VG-88 - Advice on trading for a VG-88

Started by stevemp, April 09, 2016, 12:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevemp

Hi,

I currently own a VG-8 and a GR-1 along with Wayne Joness excellent UX-20 to use them both at the same time.

A while back I acquired a Roland GA-212 amp (via trade) which has not really lived up to my expectations for my use.

Someone locally put a VG-88 with a GK-3 on Kijiji.

I am considering whether to offer the GA-212 in exchange for the VG-88 and GK-3.

My thinking is that the VG-88 offers better sound and modelling than the VG-8 but I'm not sure if it's a real step up.  I know there are some things unique to the VG-8 and I would keep it.

Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

Steve

admin

The GA-212 has its flaws,
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5581.0

but today is worth more than a VG-88 in the used channels - depends on your region

stevemp

Ya that's kinda what I thought.

I'm in Canada so the prices are different but...

When I bought a nearly new GK-3 here I paid $150.  It came with full packaging, mounting kit, etc.

And most of the VG-88s I see here are more expensive than the example you showed.  Probably average in the $250 range.

The amp is still probably worth more than that.

Maybe I'll just try to sell the amp and see what I can get.  I don't have the foot controller, just the amp itself.

Steve

Tony Raven

FWIW, the GA-FC switchboard is $99 new (USD). I'm fair certain I saw a used unit go for $50 a few months back.

Last year, I acquired both the VG-8 & VG-88. My experience is much as you state: whether one is "better" is at best a matter of personal needs/style. At very least, the 88 lacks the "VIO" voices. And while I appreciate the 88's built-in linear controller, there's times where I prefer the smaller footprint (& can always plug in an EV-5).

Prices have been swinging wildly. One month, there's VG & GR units all over the place ~$100... then the prices spike upwards... then they drop again. Unless you need a particular one, I'd say to be patient, wait a few months, & watch the online listings.

Similarly, I found a GK-3 -- a little beat-up but 100% functional -- for $45.

(I just now see that the old GR-50 has fallen back to ~$150, but the GR-1 is running back toward $250. It's a "fad" thing.  ;))

The amp? Worth maybe $350... but if it doesn't suit your needs, what the heck.

But remember that it's the V.2 VG-88 that would command top dollar. The upgrade is risky as a DIY, & you need version 2 to use VEditor.

Bon chance!

Brak(E)man

I find the vg8 to have a more open sound  then 88 and VG 88 lacks some of the better stuff in the VG 8 but has quite a few good options that vg8 doesn't
So both is recommended , I have kept all of them
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Chrisfromiowa

I bought a used vg-88 last year and Roland upgraded it to a v2 for just the cost of shipping. I'm not sure if it was an error on their part or that no one had registered the serial number for my unit yet. I'm still figuring out the 88 and its myriad abilities. I've been thinking about adding a GR-D V-Guitar Distortion to the mix but the splitters for the 13 pin cable seem either too expensive or unreliable.

Elantric

QuoteI've been thinking about adding a GR-D V-Guitar Distortion to the mix but the splitters for the 13 pin cable seem either too expensive or unreliable.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12621.msg86070#msg86070

VG-88 does have a following

It does have a working V-EDIT GUI Editor for Windows

and works as a MIDi CC# Controller ( use VG-88 as your AXE-FX  / Kemper controller
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12574.0

But they typically sell for less than a VG-8EX in the used channel $200) - so i keep mine in the "tool shed"

So ask yourself if you have large closets and storage room

For many here - clearing the decks and buying a gently used VG-99 made more sense

chrish

Quote from: Chrisfromiowa on September 02, 2016, 12:16:51 PM
I bought a used vg-88 last year and Roland upgraded it to a v2 for just the cost of shipping. I'm not sure if it was an error on their part or that no one had registered the serial number for my unit yet. I'm still figuring out the 88 and its myriad abilities. I've been thinking about adding a GR-D V-Guitar Distortion to the mix but the splitters for the 13 pin cable seem either too expensive or unreliable.

The roland us-20 does work great and i believe codesmart sells fan out boxes. Some times you have go expensive to get the reliable. Also when shopping for a used GR-D, or those other two pedals of that series, that they were closed out for $99.00.

Chrisfromiowa

Thanks, I wasn't sure if anyone was around and I worried about hijacking the thread, but I thought it was relevant. I wish this forum had a thanks button...