VG-99- Should I buy a Roland VG-99

Started by Hennisdk, September 08, 2010, 02:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hennisdk

Hi guys

My first post here.

I am busy deciding if I should buy a VG-99, I am not in a hurry to by one but would love to have one. Now the problem I have is not, what it can do, but is it worth buying one now. From what I read on this forum, nobody is certain if there is going to be an update or new VG. So my question, should I wait a 1 or 2 years and see what happens or just buy one?  :P

Kind regards

Hennis de Klerk
Ibanez CT Series (Very Old)
Ibanez EDR470 Ergodyne - Cosmic Black (GK-3 PUP)
Epiphone Les Paul (Zakk Wylde)(GK-3 PUP)
Takamine EG523SCB (Warm sound with 12 Gauge Strings)

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp
Studio Monitors for VG-99

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal
Sennheiser Wireless Guitar System

Zummooz

Quote from Nike footwear

JUST  DO  IT
The  Fact  Is......"We  are  all  tactile  creatures  &  physical  interaction  has  always  been  a  big  part  of  making  music"

A2theT

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

bob e

If you think you would enjoy/appreciate/use it, then buy it. 

Would you care to elaborate on your reasons for wanting it vs reasons for not wanting it?

MIDIme

PS, forum member Dayne Warren is selling his rig if you decide to buy.

Hennisdk

Oh yeah I would enjoy/appreciate/use it.

A few years ago I bought the GT-8, and was very impressed with it, a few months later, guess what the GT-10 came out.

Now I will be really mad if I buy this wonderfull expensive equipment and one year later a new unit hits the market.

Yes yes I know, it is always by chance that when buying something, something new comes out.

I know I want it, but this is my only deciding factor.

Where can I contact Dayne Warren? Email address?

Greets

Hennis

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal

aliensporebomb

Even though it seems that every VG resource on the net is clamoring for an update of some sort the VG is a very capable box.

I can do things with the VG that I can't do with anything else.

It's light and very easy to take along for gigging.

It's also great for recording.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Jim Williams

When getting new equiptment first think what your needs are. Some of us are tone junkies and we have to have the newest and best gear. The GT-10 is not as good sounding as the GT-8.... when makeing the GT-10 Roland got rid of some good tone shapeing effects to make room for a looper.....What were they thinking????
     The same with the VG-88 they gave up some cool stuff when makeing the VG-99...Yes roland will make a new super product(don't wait for a update) for us to pour our hard earned cash into.

The question what are your needs? I like the cosom guitars and tuneings but the cosom amps suck it's time to check out IR techknology. It's not so much the amps but the speeker sims. Roland reverbs suck to.

Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

A2theT

Quote from: Hennisdk on September 08, 2010, 05:44:43 AM
A few years ago I bought the GT-8, and was very impressed with it, a few months later, guess what the GT-10 came out.

Now I will be really mad if I buy this wonderfull expensive equipment and one year later a new unit hits the market.

Yes yes I know, it is always by chance that when buying something, something new comes out.

Well the VG-99 is 3 years old now so if you bought it and something else came out in another year then I wouldn't be surprised.  When you bought the GT-8 it had already been out for around 4 or more years so the release of the GT-10 shouldn't really have been a surprise.  Realistically, technology is usually end of life within a year unless of course we're talking computer gear which is like one month. lol.

Bottom line is this,  if you will regret buying it on the grounds of "should have held out for the newer model" then you may never be satisfied.  I used to be like this and then I just said, "screw it! I'll buy it now and just sell and re-buy the newer model when it comes out".....its really the only solution for me.

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Blueswaite

I have ahd mine a short time and really enjoy what I can do with it.. You can play the game for ever the next best things.
Good Luck

paults

Buy a used VG-99.  A new VG-Whatever will be twice as much money as what you bought.

Bill Ruppert

My two cents as the old fart of the group.

The VG-99 is SO feature rich I would bet you will not get near the bottom of it or close to knowing what it is even possible of doing for several years.
Even if you play it EVERY day day for hours on end!
Update or not you will not get through it!
An update would only put you behind the curve.

This is an amazing box undiscovered by 90% of the populalation and most likely for economic reasons kept in on the side lines by Roland.
This was TO on top and flew over everyone's head.

You can do almost anything with this box, but its up to you the user to dig in and learn how to program it.
Sadly, it was like Roland released a Intel chip computer with zero programs or support.

musicman65

There is always something new coming out. The best question might be "Will I use the features and benefit from owning the current technology?" If there is something it won't do that a future unit might, what is that and is it worth the wait?

As much as I want an update, I'm still exploring my current vg99's features after 2 years. Its very DEEP with features.

Bd in tn

Hennisdk

Great, thanks guys.

My mind is made up. I am going to get one.

Thanks for all the replies, now don't complain when I bother you with questions.  ;D

Kind Regards

Hennis

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal

aliensporebomb

Good point - the box is SO deep you could spend years exploring it and still not realize every feature.

Programming alone - you could probably produce every concievable guitar sound over a 50 year period of popular music, and beyond.

But just other things - controlling various parameters via the FC-300 - I've hardly touched that.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Hennisdk

YEAH, Ordered VG-99 with GK3 pup. will be here early next week.

Thanks Guys

Now you will here much more from me.

Hennis

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal

washburn100

Boy, I would have waited. I hear the VG-1099 is coming out next month. Oh well...

just kidding

Hennisdk

Quote from: washburn100 on September 09, 2010, 11:08:30 AM
Boy, I would have waited. I hear the VG-1099 is coming out next month. Oh well...

just kidding

Almost got a little heart attack when I read it. But I am satisfied with it, from what I have read, this is the best on the market, even though it is a few years old.

Best

Hennis

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal

bob e

So, what guitar and hex pick up will you be using?  What amp or monitor or PA will you use? 

Hennisdk

Quote from: bob e on September 10, 2010, 03:42:50 AM
So, what guitar and hex pick up will you be using?  What amp or monitor or PA will you use? 

Hi bob e

I have an Zakk Wylde Epiphone and a Ibanez EDR470 with floyed rose bridge.

For now the GK3 will go on to the Epi and will buy another GK3 for Ibanez later on.

I am going to use powered studio monitors for output, still looking for nice ones.

Here i SA we don't have alot to choose from,

here you get cheap and not so cheap.

So looking for something in between.

Best

Hennis

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal

Hennisdk

Hi Guys

Got my VG-99 today, awesome peace of "ART". Got hold of Some Behringer 1030A Studio Monitors. Getting them next week.

One thing that bothers me is that my GK3 is very close to my bridge, the closet string is the HIGH E and that is 9.5mm.
I set the Sens of the strings, I am at 75 for all strings, is this correct?

I only had a small combo guitar amp to test it on, and it sounded "ok" but I think it is the combo amp, I don't have earphones, so cannot realy test it.

Maybe I will go to church saterday and rig it op on the mixer and see how it sounds there.

It was a mission that GK3 installed on my EPI LP Zakk Wylde, I am considering gettting n Roland ready Strat.

What do you guys think of the Roland Ready Strat?

Best Guys

Hennis

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal

s0c9

Definitely follow "directions" for installing the GK. Too close to the strings and they will be overly sensitive - like any pickup.
However, I run my low E sensitivity at about 16, and the other strings ranging in value up to about 32.
75 would not work for me.  I think that's a little high.
Check the input levels you are getting - press the "Chain" button. I would think you are distorting your input with sensitivity levels that high.
But that's just me.

Hennisdk

Quote from: s0c9 on September 16, 2010, 12:36:53 PM
Definitely follow "directions" for installing the GK. Too close to the strings and they will be overly sensitive - like any pickup.
However, I run my low E sensitivity at about 16, and the other strings ranging in value up to about 32.
75 would not work for me.  I think that's a little high.
Check the input levels you are getting - press the "Chain" button. I would think you are distorting your input with sensitivity levels that high.
But that's just me.

Followed everything to the letter, and ended up the the sensitivity at 75. So now what, did I do something wrong?

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal

TheGuitarPlayer

Sounds like the GK-3 pickup is too far away from the strings.  Increase it's height until it is approximately 1-1.5mm from the G/D strings when you depress the string at the highest fret.  You should have recieved a metal spacer tool with the GK-3 that you can use to test the distance between pickup and string.

9.5mm does sound close, mines more in thr 16-18mm range.  Is it possible to move the pickup a little further away from the bridge, closer to bridge pickup.  Also are you measuring the distance correctly?  It should be measured from the middle of the GK-3 pickup (in between the two pickup poles) to where the string contacts the bridge saddle.

musicman65

My main axe is a RR Strat with upgraded parts. It has a birdseye maple fingerboard/neck, Super-Vee locking trem, Dimarzio Virtual Vintage noiseless pups, treble bleed cap mod, etc.. All that's left is the Gk stuff.

The guitar was a good player when stock. I just like mine a certain way.
IMHO the RR is a lot of guitar for the money...but so are the Synth Access Godins. Either way is good.

Bd in tn

Hennisdk

Quote from: TheGuitarPlayer on September 16, 2010, 02:25:32 PM
Sounds like the GK-3 pickup is too far away from the strings.  Increase it's height until it is approximately 1-1.5mm from the G/D strings when you depress the string at the highest fret.  You should have recieved a metal spacer tool with the GK-3 that you can use to test the distance between pickup and string.

9.5mm does sound close, mines more in thr 16-18mm range.  Is it possible to move the pickup a little further away from the bridge, closer to bridge pickup.  Also are you measuring the distance correctly?  It should be measured from the middle of the GK-3 pickup (in between the two pickup poles) to where the string contacts the bridge saddle.

Yup, I measured from the middle of the GK. and there is no way to move the GK more to the neck side. I also measured my strings hight with that gauge they sent with, everything is 1mm. But suspect the GK PUP being to close to the brigde and not picking up enought string vibration, my logic is leading me in that direction.

Quick question, when I set the sensitivity does it have to show the little blok at the end of the bar?

Regards

Hennis

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal