VG-99 Help on Metheny Patch Sound

Started by chrish, March 21, 2017, 09:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

I've been trying to create a patch for the metheny lead sound for the tune 'as witchita falls...'.

When i first heard that tune, i thought the solo was being plucked out on an auto harp.

When i stated learning the tune i did some looking on the web and only found one reference to metheny using a slack guitar or slack tuned guitar.

When you use the detuning on the vg99, it lowers the pitch but you don't get the same 'slapping string' effect that you get when you take tension off the string.

So i began playing with the sitar model and i'm not getting close.

Does anyone know how metheny got that sound or have any advice on what to try on the vg99.

I'm not set up to analize the frequencies, but that may be the way to do it. Thanks.

chrish

Thanks for the reference.

I've been searching thr web to see if I can find a YouTube performance of the Pat Metheny Group performing as Wichita Falls so Falls Wichita Falls but I haven't had any luck.

A few of the notes in the solo sound particularly 'Slack string' and sound real similar to the Drone strings on my electric sitar when they are detuned and plucked.

Right now I'm working on a tone with the spicetone  6appeal
Hexaphonic distortion pedal that may work well for playing that solo.

I'm wondering if anybody on the Forum has ever seen a PMG performance of that tune live?