VG-99 - Ever done a PAF VG-99 patch?

Started by mooncaine, January 16, 2017, 06:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

If so, wanna share?

Now that I've played a Pearly Gates pickup in the neck of my guitar, I am wanting to dial up the same pickup in a VG so all my guitars can share the love. Apart from cutting bass freqs, what do you think would bring the LP model closer to PAF territory?

Elantric

aliensporebomb

Try this but change it from the treble pickup to the neck and then go about 50% on the GK volume, possibly as far as 75%.  But not necessarily all the way.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19776.0

It's already pretty creamy sounding but maybe in the recorded example it was 100% and to get that sort of more singing but not wide open sound backing off on the GK volume works well.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mooncaine

Quote from: Elantric on January 16, 2017, 06:35:43 PM
might try this one
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11123.0

Yep, that's a good'n.

I saved his EQ as a Favorite, plugged it into my own Les Paul patch, and got this hot, red & righteous tone. Thanks, yall!

alexmcginness

Quote from: mooncaine on January 16, 2017, 06:25:33 PM
If so, wanna share?

Now that I've played a Pearly Gates pickup in the neck of my guitar, I am wanting to dial up the same pickup in a VG so all my guitars can share the love. Apart from cutting bass freqs, what do you think would bring the LP model closer to PAF territory?

Use Har-Bal. If youve got a GK on the guitar with PAFs then it will be easier. Dial up the Les Paul in the VG-99 and select the pickup you want to model. The select the same pickup on the Real Les Paul. Plug the VG output into one input of your sound card and the real Les Paul into another input. Strum a few chords while recording a stereo file ( one side the VG and the other side the real guitar ) Then in Wavelab take the stereo file and make two mono files out of it. Left side the VG and the right side the real guitar and then put the real lespaul file into Harbal as a refrence and the VG as the source and see where you need to eq the VG to get it as close to the real PAFs as possible. Make the eq adjustments in the VG 99 and repeat the proceedure to see how close youve come and what still needs to be tweaked EQ wise. Usually takes me about 10-14 tries to get it as close as can be hoped for. And that...is pretty close.\ Oh yeah, before you start recording pluck each string and match the volume output per string with the real guitar using the VU meter in Wavelab or whatever program you use to record the files and youre good to go.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

mooncaine

Hmm, something to think about. Thanks! Looks like you're sort of doing a manual Kemper profiling of it.

Every once in a while, I play guitar before bedtime & try doing A/B comparisons of my VG-99 sound vs. the Pearly Gates pickup, trying to match it by ear. I think I might have just gotten close enough for my needs (and need isn't really a fair word here, because, well, it's just for fun).

alexmcginness

Quote from: mooncaine on April 28, 2017, 02:03:58 PM
Hmm, something to think about. Thanks! Looks like you're sort of doing a manual Kemper profiling of it.

I guess. I needed my Strat and an acoustic on the road with me. I use to carry a big box Takamine 12 string strung as a 6 and a Strat in one gig bag back to back, but the airlines were always hesitant about letting it go into the overheads, so, I bought a Traveller Escape MKII for the acoustic and put a GK-3 on it. I cloned my Strat and my over drive pedal into the 99 and all has been good.
   Har bal will really let you see how close youve gotten and where you need to EQ it to get it really spot on.
  Im on the road right now but when I get back in June Ill do a demo of how I use Har -Bal to match the EQs.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.