GK-3 string height/radius question

Started by joegold, January 21, 2016, 09:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegold

Hi

I've been trying to fine tune a GK-3 installation on a Partscaster Strat with a Fender US 22 fret neck which I believe has a 9.5" radius.
At the moment I'm just using the double-sided tape for the GK-3.

My issue is that on this guitar the GK-3 sits too close to the the low E string even with no spacers below the GK-3.
I.e. Even with the GK-3 sitting directly on my pickguard I don't have the full 1.0mm of distance between the bottom of my low E and the low E segment on the GK-3.
I can compensate by raising the bridge saddle on my low E string a bit.
But this messes up the way the guitar plays enough that it bothers me.
I can compensate for the fact that the high E GK-3 segment is more than 1.0mm by using a spacer under the treble side of the GK-3 and by adjusting the GK-3's radius adjustment screw fully counter-clockwise I can the other 4 strings at good distances from the GK-3.
[I could also shim the neck pocket which would allow me to further fine-tune the GK-3/string height relationships, but would rather not do that.]

I haven't tried this on another guitar yet, but I'm assuming that there's something about the overall bridge height on this particular Partscaster that's causing the issue that would not be present on a real Fender-made Strat body/bridge assembly.

So my question is really about how bad it would be for me to have a bit less than 1.0mm clearance on the low E segment?
If I set my bridge saddle where I would like it to be then I can just force the L-shaped tool under the string, but it's quite tight.
Still, if I pick real hard on the low E string it never seems to end up making contact with the GK-3 segment, so there's no mechanical issue that I can see, just a potential sensitivity issue.

Put another way: Is Roland's spec of 1.0mm of clearance a minimum or a maximum?

Any info appreciated.

Joey

Elantric

Review this thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42.0

On a Fender Strat, might have to adjust the neck to body angle raise the bridge saddles just enough to provide clearance for the GK divided PU

USA  Strats have a neck adjust  - older ones require a Neck Shim

this FTP  doc explains how to adjust the neck to body angle - same applies to GK-3 install on Strat

http://www.fishman.com/support/tripleplay/pdf/tripleplay_tut10.pdf

joegold

Thanks for the reply Elantric.

A bit too much info to weed through on that first link.
But I'm quite familiar with the official GK-3 installation instructions from Roland already.

Also... I said earlier that I'd rather not have to use a shim on the neck of this guitar.

So, if you don't mind, could you please answer my question about whether the 1.0mm "rule" is a suggestion of a maximum or minimum string height?

Put yet another way:
If the bottom of my low E string (when fretted at the 22nd fret) is just slightly less than 1.0mm from the GK-3 what types of issues might that cause and are there viable workarounds for those issues?

Thanks.

Elantric

Fret all strings at highest fret, attempt to adjust the GK-3 for 1mm air gap between top of GK-3 PU and strings

Any closer than 1mm air gap under strings , the strings when vibrating will hit the top of the GK-PU    -and that needs to be avoided

joegold

OK. I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks again.

joegold

Folks...

If there's anyone still reading this...

If you ever have to use a shim on your bolt-on neck DON'T do it the way it's described in this video and don 't use the Fender Micro-tilt system if your guitar has it.

Go to Stew-Mac and get some full contact maple shims.
They sound better and they won't ruin your guitar over time.
https://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/?search=shims%20for%20fender%20neck