Native Kontrol Standard (NKS)

Started by scratch17, January 16, 2017, 11:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratch17

I am a guitarist, not a keyboard player. I use the Fishman Triple Play as a MIDI controller for software instruments.

However, I purchased a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 so I could have NKS control of my NI Komplete 10 Ultimate software. With NKS, browsing my library of virtual instruments is a snap.

The Komplete Kontrol software (of which NKS is a part) that comes with my keyboard, also maps Logic Pro X transport control to the hardware transport controls on the S61. It works flawlessly. It also works with other major DAWs.

And since all parameters are automatically mapped to the S61's hardware, tweaking any parameter is a breeze.

NKS is the most comprehensive and flexible control software I have used. It works perfectly, because the mappings are done by the software manufacturer with the NI keyboard or Maschine as targets.

There is another thing that NKS can do that adds to its functionality. It can load VST instruments, acting as a wrapper for them within Logic. So if you have a VSTi that is not available as an AU instrument, you can use NKS to load it into Logic.

I must point out at this point that full NKS support must be implemented by the software manufacturer.

Of course there is a manual mapping feature available for instruments which do not have NKS support. Out of the box, any Native Instruments virtual instrument is fully NKS implemented. And NI provides Kompete Select 11 with any hardware purchase.

There are many other software manufacturers that have added MKS support. This list has more than doubled since NKS first release.

Here's a list of NKS partners:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keyboards/komplete-kontrol-s-series/nks/nks-partners/

I was happy to see that my Arturia V Collection was implemented.

And I just now noticed that the new Korg Gadget for the Mac will have NKS support for its plug-ins. I own the original Korg Legacy Collection, so I am hoping that it will be able to be used with the Gadget plug-in shell.

BTW, the keyboard is made by Fatar for NI. My keyboard playing buddies really like it. Komplete Kontrol keyboards can do a lot of additional things. They come with a light guide and smart play. The light guide is for sample switches, and splits. The smart play lets you play single keys to play chords and limit keys to specific scales. There is also a smart arpeggiator that can be automatic or customized.

I highly recommend the NKS system to anyone who has software instruments with NKS support.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

admin

QuoteI highly recommend the NKS system to anyone who has software instruments with NKS support.

The NI Maschine Studio does this too
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine-studio/nks/

admin

https://cdm.link/2019/09/native-instruments-support-changes/

QuoteNI Insider  Lokua • 4 days ago
Guys, here's some facts from an actual NI Employee:
NI has fired almost their entire Hardware Department. Even if the Customer Support team is fully staffed, what do you think Support Agents can do if they get tricky technical issues reported and there is no one left from engineering who could evaluate the problem and suggest a solution, let alone fix it?
A whole army of Supporters couldn't help you in that case. They can not make up solutions, they need to report to engineering and they would have to fix.
Better believe it - NI is falling apart. Who isn't fired yet is looking for a new job already. They will be out of business in a few years, since the top management doesn't have the slightest clue what they're doing.