Triple Play delay?

Started by Pin, May 17, 2012, 08:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pin

It seems that the Fishman Triple Play may (emphasis on "may") be delayed until later in the year. I wonder what the problem (??) is?

http://www.tracyevans.name/2012/04/25/fishman-triple-play-midi-guitar-controller/

Some interesting observations on this blog - although nothing that I have not seen before on here.

aliensporebomb

Wow, did you check that blog?

Quote"The recently released (January 2011) Roland GR-55 is a boat anchor of a device that felt ancient the day it shipped. While it sounds great and tracks well, interacting with it feels like traveling in time to the mid 90?s; fiddling with clunky buttons, scroll wheels and sub-sub-sub menus. The 55 is a valiant attempt to aim the product line at the pro guitar player, my experience with the product left me with the feeling that Roland doesn't understand the modern customer and was resting on its laurels when it comes to advancing MIDI guitar technology"

Ouch! 

An announcement is coming this summer?  I wonder what that means?  Fall release?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Pin

Quote from: aliensporebomb on May 17, 2012, 10:04:11 AM
Wow, did you check that blog?

Ouch! 

An announcement is coming this summer?  I wonder what that means?  Fall release?

Yeah, I know what you mean although people have said similar things on here but perhaps not with such - shall we say - verve;D

I also wonder what the mooted delay means. Of course, it could be just claptrap but it could also be that the author has indeed heard what he claims and may even know what the issues are causing the delay. Not that we know for sure that there will be a delay.

But I do hope Fishman are not getting cold feet!

Elantric

They have always said Release for the Fishman Tripleplay would be Summer 2012 - which I understand with recent announcements it may be more like October 2012 at this hour.

tracy

I have spoken to Fishman reps three times in the last few months. They have told me that they expect to ship "this year."

About three weeks ago that they told me that they are still tweaking the final hardware design and assured me that the product will not ship this summer. They currently plan to show the final production design and announce a ship date around the end of summer. They also have not completed their software partnerships negotiations on some third party software planned to ship with the Triple Play.

@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

Pin

Quote from: tracy on May 17, 2012, 10:41:39 PM
I have spoken to Fishman reps three times in the last few months. They have told me that they expect to ship "this year."

About three weeks ago that they told me that they are still tweaking the final hardware design and assured me that the product will not ship this summer. They currently plan to show the final production design and announce a ship date around the end of summer. They also have not completed their software partnerships negotiations on some third party software planned to ship with the Triple Play.

Ah, from the horse's mouth! Thanks for that Tracey!

Have you heard anything re Triple Play integration with 13pin systems? I suppose this is the big question for all of us with Roland or Axon gear.

tracy

Quote from: Pin on May 18, 2012, 01:49:15 AMHave you heard anything re Triple Play integration with 13pin systems?

I have not heard anything about 13 pin, but I will see if I can get some info on it.

Elantric

QuoteHave you heard anything re Triple Play integration with 13pin systems? I suppose this is the big question for all of us with Roland or Axon gear.

When I spoke to Fishman at 2012 Winter NAMM , they informed they are not interested in interfacing with Roland 13 pin gear.

Think about and it becomes apparent why.

The basic 1st gen Tripleplay will send wireless MIDI to a USB Class compliant MIDI receiver.
This allows MIDI output from triple play to trigger softsynths on a computer, or possibly the Peavey Muse Reactor.
Sending MIDI communication data via wireless with low latency is acheivable and affordible now.

By contrast, to make a wireless GK-3 with acceptible low latency remains a daunting task.

arkieboy

Hi Elantric

Was that a categorical refusal, or was that a 'not interested in sending to 13 pin receivers'.

I would love a fishman floor unit, or a guitar-strap-wart that I could plug my 13 pin guitars into: ideally with a pass through.  Andras didn't categorically rule out this kind of development when he last posted to midiguitar.  Heck, you could probably gut a triple-play and fit it into a US20 by sacrificing one of its outputs with a couple of capacitors and resistors.

Ditto an internal unit you could retrofit to a piezo guitar.  I guess you could pull the gubbins out of your Brian Moore and replace it with a fishman piezo bridge and internal TriplePlay board with minimal soldering.

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Elantric

While a similar looking hex mag pickup is used to sense the strings,  comparing a  Fishman Tripleplay  to  a "Wireless GK-3"  - Its apples and oranges with nothing common  - The Tripleplay performs six channels of  Audio to Digital conversion right at the guitar - and simply sends MIDI over a wireless link.

They have mentioned the 2nd gen version (which will ship AFTER the first MIDI Only version) will have a MONO wireless audio link but that is still vaporware.

Remember the Roland GK-3 feeds these signals over the 13 pin cable : Six separate ANALOG audio channels, 2 control lines, and remote control voltage pot and +/- 7VDC power .   Replicating all that as a new wireless unit to feed GR-55/VG-99 13 pin inputs is NOT trivial and remains very costly and plagued with high latency.

I have spoken to Fishman and Andras Szalay - and a "wireless GK-3"  with 13pin analog output is NOT in their plans.

arkieboy

Didn't made myself clear :-(

Don't give a monkey's whatsit about wireless GR/VG!  I just want to plug my brian moore into the gubbins of a triple play!
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

tekrytor

You could use a triple play to drive a GR model that does support MIDI input.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

kenact

Production delays are not unusual. Orange announced the OPC combination stereo amp and computer in April, of 2010 and it still isn't shipping anywhere but UK & Germany. They've missed their planned US ship date by 2 years.  I was really interested in checking it out, with the intention of buying one. After 2 years, my fever has passed.  ;D
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

jburns

this is one of the few things i do plan on actually buying so I'm glad they're taking the time to work out kinks and do it right. personal plan is to use the triple AND a gk both mounted (triple play pickup closer to the bridge). i don't mind the warting, I'm kinda into contraptions and buttons. seems that for pure softsynth triggering its possible to be gold compared to anything else released, ever, and for that reason and I'm happy theres no 13pin relation. keep in mind this is a device souly for soft synths and not aimed at being used for another company's products. i certainly can see how ppl would want both in one device tho. so for me its really nice to see they don't have any plans for that.

heres some major tricks that can be done if anyone else is thinking about maybe using the same setup-
<with guitar to midi ON>
-triple play to send pitch data for performance in plugin, roland gk to send data mapped to software parameters like envelope etc (ever want a patch to have different settings, eq or fx in the say the lower range or for one or two chosen chords/notes?)
-using both divided pickups allows 12/16 channels.
-MORE CC CONTROL'S!!!
<with guitar to midi OFF>
-same vg-99/gr-55 setup with faster midi performance
-work around for midi on/off issue in vg99
<either>
-both controlled with fc300
-Y cable can split guitar output to both
-still only one cable plugged in the guitar.
-doubled user controllable buttons on your instrument.
etc!

Pin

Quote from: jburns on May 19, 2012, 11:55:22 PM
this is one of the few things i do plan on actually buying so I'm glad they're taking the time to work out kinks and do it right. personal plan is to use the triple AND a gk both mounted (triple play pickup closer to the bridge). i don't mind the warting, I'm kinda into contraptions and buttons. seems that for pure softsynth triggering its possible to be gold compared to anything else released, ever, and for that reason and I'm happy theres no 13pin relation. keep in mind this is a device souly for soft synths and not aimed at being used for another company's products. i certainly can see how ppl would want both in one device tho. so for me its really nice to see they don't have any plans for that.

heres some major tricks that can be done if anyone else is thinking about maybe using the same setup-
<with guitar to midi ON>
-triple play to send pitch data for performance in plugin, roland gk to send data mapped to software parameters like envelope etc (ever want a patch to have different settings, eq or fx in the say the lower range or for one or two chosen chords/notes?)
-using both divided pickups allows 12/16 channels.
-MORE CC CONTROL'S!!!
<with guitar to midi OFF>
-same vg-99/gr-55 setup with faster midi performance
-work around for midi on/off issue in vg99
<either>
-both controlled with fc300
-Y cable can split guitar output to both
-still only one cable plugged in the guitar.
-doubled user controllable buttons on your instrument.
etc!

All good stuff jb and I don't doubt that options thinking will be on overdrive for all of us once the Triple Play does hit the shops. And I can't help (and will continue) to crave optional full 13 pin integration without the dual hex option - so if all the talk is true and Fishman intend no such integrative options then come all ye electronics wizards and bring on the independent after market solutions!

Ok - not so fast! We haven't got the market yet!

Elantric

Quotepersonal plan is to use the triple AND a gK both mounted (triple play pickup closer to the bridge).

My plan is use just one mounted hex pickup, but make an adapter so that one hex PU can feed both  GK-3 wart and Tripleplay guitar wart  - with the plan to take both further apart and integrate into an internally mounted design.  - with final result of have a guitar with one hex PU, a 13 pin output jack (to feed VG-99) and wireless MIDI to Tripleplay USB dongle feeding a laptop running softsynths 

Might do this on my JTV-69 Variax, and then install the Tronical Tune robot tuners for true pitch slide tunings -  just so I have something for show and tell at the next open mic night.

Pin

Quote from: Elantric on May 20, 2012, 08:46:25 AM
My plan is use just one mounted hex pickup, but make an adapter so that one hex PU can feed both  GK-3 wart and Tripleplay guitar wart  - with the plan to take both further apart and integrate into an internally mounted design.  - with final result of have a guitar with one hex PU, a 13 pin output jack (to feed VG-99) and wireless MIDI to Tripleplay USB dongle feeding a laptop running softsynths 

Might do this on my JTV-69 Variax, and then install the Tronical Tune robot tuners for true pitch slide tunings -  just so I have something for show and tell at the next open mic night.

Can I order one now Elantric?  :D

whippinpost91850

Elantric, that sounds like it would be alot of fun ;D

tracy

Quote from: Elantric on May 20, 2012, 08:46:25 AM
My plan is use just one mounted hex pickup...

Wow, what an axe! Can't wait to see the pics of that one.

What else could you bolt on to this frankenstein guitar? Wireless analogue? Guess there is no need for that since the GK3 is tethered. Maybe integrate a TC Electronics PolyTune Mini into the body? Or a KaossPad!

utensil

That sounds awesome !!

Elantric ever tried hooking peizo's to the gk wart instead of the mag? I'm working on a Variax transplant using graphtech ghost pickups and I've made a splitter adapter to hook the pickups to the hexpander or vax circuit (can't use both at once, vax works fine with some added noise but my axon 50 goes crazy if vax on while 13 pin plugged in)

My plan is to add in the Triple play and split the ghost pickups again to drive it and make it internal. I'm not sure how that will work, in the worst case I will just make it internal and keep the fishman mag hex. I don't have a GR-55 but am planning to get one so if I have to put in a mag hex then might as well get the gk internal as I've read peizo's don't play well with the Gr-55 , appreciate any thoughts.

utensil

Elantric

I'm closing this thread to prevent redundant posts - 

Please use this new thread for posting about the Fishman TriplePlay MIDI system
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5188.0