Patch Cloning

Started by Rorster, June 19, 2011, 08:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorster

Sorry about this basic newbie of a question here but, Is the "Santana" patch here a vg99 patch
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2189.0
and would that matter if the hope is to use it in the GR 55? 
Next question is, once downloaded, how do you get it into the GR 55. I've read about folks sharing their custom patches but I haven't gotten into this aspect of the game yet. Would like to learn though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

aliensporebomb

Yes, it's very possible IMO.

First of all, I'm a VG-99 owner and sometimes to check out GR-55 patches I download their patches and open them in the GR-55 editor.  You can do the same in a
vice versa method - download the VG-99 editor and open the .MID file in this thread using that and duplicate the settings in the 55.

Once you've got it, fine tune to taste and then you will be good to go.  This guys patch is pretty darn good, even better than the one I did which sounds more
like Allan Holdsworth than Carlos Santana (my "Pod's Not Santana" patch). 

Someone, someday will make a lot of money (or at least a lot of flowers and greeting cards) if they write a VG-99 to GR-55 / GR-55 to VG-99 patch conversion software.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Rorster

Thanks. Though when you say "Open it in the editor" I'm not sure of the sequence of how you do that. File gets downloaded to PC then? How does it then get opened in the GR editor? Using the librarian? Or some other way?

aliensporebomb

-Download the .MID file. (VG-99 Patch from our Forum)

-Download the Roland VG-99 Editor. (The VG-99 Editor will run and load VG-99 patches - even if you do not have an actual  VG-99 connected.)

-Once the editor is launched select FILE then IMPORT SMF.

-It will pop up a box that allows you to point to files on your hard drive.  Search for the SANTANA.MID and select open.

-Once opened you can see in the VG-99 Editor the various settings for the preset/patch. - write them down.

Rorster

Thanks. Those directions are quite specific and should be useful to me. Now I gather that you also recommended downloading the editor for the VG 99 which I do not own but, (I'm a GR 55 owner) you suggest that a VG 99 custom patch can be downloaded from a sharing site and whose patch's parameters can be utilized to create a similar (though perhaps not exact) patch that the 55 can read/use? If this is the case, then this is a pretty ingenious concept. I'll be giving these new ideas a further look at. Groovy baby.

Elantric

At this hour there are a lot more Roland GT-10 and GT-8 patches out there on the internet than GR-55 patches - lets see if we can top them! ;)

Download all the Editors, and use the  approach as stated by Aliensporebomb above to build a library of GR-55 patches.

Also  there are a lot more Line 6 POD patches out there on the internet.

This is more dificult because each manufacturers DSP modeler has its own peculiar strengths and weaknesses, but you can  build a library of GR-55 patches by seeing what those other guys are doing as follows:

1)  Download the "Guitar MultiFX A"  patches you have interest in, and have a ballpark idea what they should sound like.

2) Install and launch the "Guitar MultiFX A" Editor  - just must confirm the Editor allows you to view and edit all patch parameters without the actual ""Guitar MultiFX A" actually present and connected via USB. )

3) Load the desired "Guitar MultiFX A" patch of interest

4) Inspect and document all the control settings and FX parameters for "Guitar MultiFX A"! (hint, use a spreadsheet app)

5) Close the "Guitar MultiFX A" Editor

6) Launch Gumtown's Floorboard Editor

7) Select a User patch area for "research and development"  and Intialize it to clear settings: 
Press Write on the patch you want to initialize,  press page to select "Initialize" tab. 

8 ) Then the fun begins! Use Gumtown's GR-55 Editor and attempt to adjust all available GR-55 controls so they get in the ballpark of the "Guitar MultiFX A" control settings acquired in step #4, and save it with a similar name as the "Guitar MultiFX A" patch , but as a *.G5L file extension.

9 ) Download the GR-55 User preset created in step #8 into the GR-55, and listen.

10 ) Repeat Step #8  as necessary.

aliensporebomb

I used a similar process to "duplicate" the sound of my Mesa Studio preamp on the VG-99 using a Mesa Mark I.

In some spots it's so close I can't tell the difference between the two although there are some differences.

Could be fun - get a team of us targeting specific tones on specific devices....

Elantric

This topic "Patch Cloning" deserves its own heading - so I split the relevant posts from the tail end of the former VG-99 Santana patch thread to create this new thread, already in progress.

turenko

:) indeed this topic adds great value for us, but i have to say that one "converter" that work at least with the Roland hardware would be a winning software for sure! thanks for bringing this topic, and for helping us "newbies" to improve our patches!
Brian Moore iGuitar 9.13
KRAMER Richie Sambora 1989 with gk-3
Squier Japan 1989 with Gk-2
Takamine EF 291M(E) with Gk-3

Jim Williams

Here is a patch worksheet I made for patch cloning just fill in the the parameters that apply.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Jim Williams

I made a Santana patch from that VG-99 Santana Patch from Boguslaw. I had to improvise a little, look in GR-55 patches/Rock

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

EWSEWS

And how about GR-55 tone clone for GT100  ??? ::)

chrish

I had no idea. Now i know what patch cloning is. now. If i could only get an exact Gr 300 pat metheny patch, oh, and play and compose music exactly like Pat. :-) Well i came here for an education, and i'm getting schooled.

Elantric

I'm very happy with the new Boss Tone Studio Version 1.10  - IMHO this new BTS "offline mode "  will help generate new sales for GP-10 and GT-001 / GT-100 / SY-300 - allowing anyone to review all the FX parameters and signal routing possibilities in a clear graphical manner the Owners Manual's cant convey. 

And allows Patch Cloning

Vade

Quote from: Jim Williams on June 24, 2011, 09:37:05 PM
Here is a patch worksheet I made for patch cloning just fill in the the parameters that apply.

+1 for the work you put into this Jim. Many thanks!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

jonathanf106

Sadly you cant reproduce the vib fx vg-99 settings has, that gr-55 don't, just another limitation to the list, and no matter how you try to tweak other fx to sound like it don't sound the same. It was kinda dumb for Roland to put sum of the same fx on both channels for gr-55 instead of putting necessary fxs.

EWSEWS

Quote from: Jim Williams on June 24, 2011, 09:37:05 PM

Thanx sir JI  :)

MisEuphoria

The issue I'm having is I can't get the .tsl file to open in the Boss interface so I can clone the patch in the GR-55. How do I get the Boss Tone Studios interface to recognize the .tsl file?

admin

Read the Help file in BTS and use import *.tsl

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on March 16, 2016, 10:40:20 AM

I get a very different Screenshot :-?
the parameters are all off

Am I doing something wrong here ?

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

marcelof00

Does anyone know a way to load patches from the GP-10 - into the GT-100?

I opened the patches using the Boss Tone Studio for GP-10 using the "off-line mode", and tried to manually set the settings in the GT-100, but it does not sound the same.

Thanks!

admin

Patch Cloning is certainly not a perfect method - but in most cases gets you in the general ballpark

marcelof00

Thank you for your quick answer.

The problem is that I manually copied all the parameters, but the sound does not even come out.

admin

Upload your work in progress GT-100 patch -

you may have a VOLUME turned OFF

marcelof00

I realized that unfortunately the GT-100 does not include the modeling setting. One of the options of this setting is the nylon type, which allows the GP-10 to simulate a nylon string guitar. That was the reason why I was not getting any sound.

Regardless, I want to thanks everybody who responded to my post.