GR-55 - Need an emerson/wakeman/magic man minimoog patch

Started by mdortona, June 06, 2014, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdortona

Anyone have anything close? Band is going to be doing Magic Man, and possibly From The Beginning. Thanks!

Matt

P.S. Sorry for the double post. I mistakenly posted in the child boards first. :o

DreamTheory

I am just learning to do this stuff. Preliminary answer: a square wave form with the cutoff filter sweepable on foot pedal. Slightly slow attack, portamento. CTL for LFO to cut on tremolo at end of that solo. Duplicate to PCM tone 2 a detune the second one (fine setting -5). I will repost something more specific when I get a chance, but since this is an "emergency," that should get you something for now.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

mdortona

Thank you guys for the detailed info and the patch! Should do the trick for me.  ;D

Matt

DreamTheory

Well I took a crack at the Magic Man patch creation, And came up with this, which is pretty much what I described above. The pedal will sweep the filter and drop you down an octave, and the CTL will pop on some crazy vibrato for the end of the solo.

This was tricky because there is a lot going on in that syth solo. What makes GR 55 interesting is that you have more than one way of doing things, but there are limited numbers of controls, so you have to be strategic how you want to build the patch.

My patch won't be as good as Papabuss' because I am pretty new at analog synthesis. Most useful thing I have found is detuning the second PCM voice a little on the FINE detune parameter. Good luck with your gig, and thanks for the stimulating challenge.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

mdortona

concordal

songbirdwhosings, many thanks for posting your patch for ELP.  It has a .mid suffix as opposed to a g5l suffix.  Is that because it's a VG-99 patch?

DreamTheory

No it's because I did the procedure wrong. Sorry- that was my first patch exportation. Here it is with the proper format.

Also an MP3 with a little sample of how it sounds

DreamTheory

Quote from: papabuss on June 07, 2014, 10:36:47 AM
Matt, I made a patch for ELP's Lucky Man here some time ago
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6059.msg41690#msg41690

I have had the strangest trouble trying to load this. I get the correct patch name, and the CTL changes the sounds from Model to PCM, and the EXP pedal does the pitch bend, but the tones are just Strat and Piano, the default "initialize" tones. I have tried to upload it from your original messsage and the forum. I can get other patches from the same list and most are OK, but some other patches do the same thing- give the name and control settings but not the correct tones. Any idea what is going on or what I can do?

Elantric

QuoteI have had the strangest trouble trying to load this. I g

Are you using Gumtown's GR-55 Floorboard Editor?

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0

DreamTheory

No, I am using the GR 55 Librarian. Is it that buggy?

Elantric

90% of us here are using Gumtown's GR-55 Floorboard Editor to create and manage the GR-55 patches posted here.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0

Suggest use it.

And read
GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

DreamTheory

make that 91% (if you get advice from Elantric, I say follow it) ... I'm off to gumtown....