Strymon BigSky

Started by Rhcole, March 25, 2014, 10:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

I have and like the Eventide Space reverb pedal quite a bit. But, I was very disappointed when my unit was apparently defective and returned, only to discover through their tech support that it didn't interface well with the GR-55. It is very sensitive to input impedance and overload and frequently distorted. I reluctantly stopped using it with the GR.

So, I was primed to replace it and recently purchased a Strymon Big Sky (NOT Blue Sky, an older less-powerful Strymon reverb). The Big Sky is directly targeted at the end user who likes the features of the Space and wants to go a bit... well, further out.

First, a quick note about Strymon. They seem to have a bead on tweaking technology to its highest, state-of-the-art level. I have been looking forward to buying from them because their products consistently win editor's choice awards in almost every category they release products in. In fact, if they ever venture into 13 pin land Roland will be in BIG TROUBLE fast.

Now here's my quick elevator speech about the Big Sky: It approaches synth land with some of its patches, and is a monster when combined with any GR unit. The pedal successfully cops and provides real control over synth pad type sounds and even throws in a surprisingly effective choral and choir patch. All this without any special cabling or inputs at all. Plug your guitar in and go.

It also has two infinite sustain modes, various tweaks and as many deep ambient outer space reverbs as you can handle. You can control it with MIDI and an external pedal if you want.

If this seems like an overly positive review, it's because I think this is one of the most perfect pedals I've seen. My only real criticism is the two assignable knobs on the front that seem more like an afterthought to fit their pre-existing form factor than true functional needs. I also would have liked to be able to tweak the modulation more. At almost 500 bucks it's costly, but that's about the same price as the Space.

Great box. Check it out.

vxboogie

Quote from: Rhcole on March 25, 2014, 10:45:36 PM
Now here's my quick elevator speech about the Big Sky: It approaches synth land with some of its patches, and is a monster when combined with any GR unit. The pedal successfully cops and provides real control over synth pad type sounds and even throws in a surprisingly effective choral and choir patch. All this without any special cabling or inputs at all. Plug your guitar in and go.

Great box. Check it out.
Totally agree. I've been using a Line 6 HD500 for a few years and just couldn't get that close to some of the great pad sounds that guys were getting out of their Blue Skys. Then the Big Sky was announced. Although I cringed at the price(since it was as much as my HD500), I am more than thrilled with it in the FX loop of my HD500. Expensive, but many unbelievable sounds.   

GovernorSilver

Thanks for the review.

Love my VG-99 but it would be great to have pitch shifting and freeze on my acoustic viola, which does not have the benefit on an onboard polyphonic pickup.  I also have a new acoustic guitar on the way that could benefit.  The price seems high but for your money you get the two aforementioned effects in addition to reverb, as well as tape delay (though probably not as programmable as the El Capistan) and cab filter.

Elantric

QuoteFirst, a quick note about Strymon. They seem to have a bead on tweaking technology to its highest, state-of-the-art level. I have been looking forward to buying from them because their products consistently win editor's choice awards in almost every category they release products in. In fact, if they ever venture into 13 pin land Roland will be in BIG TROUBLE fast.

For good reason too - bulk of the Strymon / Damage Control gurus reflect the former 2004 era Line6 engineering staff "Brain pool". Dave Fruehling who is currently the principal design engineer at Strymon developed the 1st Variax and Vetta modeling systems for Line6. When they all left Line6 in 2005, this left a huge hole in the Line6 product development cycle that took 5 years to recover.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10129.msg73075#msg73075

Rhcole

Think we could get them interested in 13 pin gear?

It would expand the market and get Roland to look over their shoulders. Might be great products, too!

Elantric

Doesnt hurt to write them and express your thoughts

http://www.strymon.net/contact/

aliensporebomb

Bought this two days ago, I haven't had much time to play with it but what I have has been eye opening.  Together with my VG-99 setup it's amazing.  It should be similarly amazing with my analog guitar rig as well.  Stay tuned for a more in depth review/discussion with samples on this amazing unit. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

I saw Bill Frissell live last month, and his Steel Guitarist (Greg Liezs) had the entire Strymon catalog wired in series as his floor effects - very organic and musical  - thanks to Dave Fruehling  (read above)

aliensporebomb

Totally.  All I can say is: it's as revolutionary in its own special way as the Lexicon Vortex and the VG-99 itself is.  The Big Sky has the same (or similar) "analog-ish warmer" circuit the Vortex did - put anything into it and it warms it up and it sounds smooth, analog and organic. 

Combined with some of my special VG-99 sounds it's a crazy dream, all of a sudden I sound as exotic as anything ever aired on "Hearts of Space" or even beyond.  I never knew a guitar could sound like this.

I might provide a link to one of my "exploring" sessions where I mean to play for a few minutes and the next thing I know it's almost an hour later and everything I did could be used in some new track.  New worlds.  The cab switch is amazing for modeled distorted guitar and even half-distorted and clean. 

More later.....rhcole was right "it approaches synth land in some of its patches", but if you put an already synth-ish patch there it becomes....WOW.

highlandsrock

Spent an hour or so in Andertons Music Shop in Guildford trying one out. (BTW - great shop with great attitude, no pressure, just let you go in a soundproof booth and try the kit out). Was really impressed with the BigSky. I only scratched the surface with all the variations/effects possible. The only thing that put me off was the price - £429 in the UK (equivalent to $735) + I'm saving my money for a GP-10. So depending upon how the GP-10 sounds I might be back for the Strymon or both!
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

imerkat

Sorry to hear you got a dud but I've had the Space/GR-55 combo since 2011 and I've never had any problems with it distortion/overload (with inputs set to line level). I do like the Shimmer on the Big Sky but the Big Sky has nothing comparable to ModEchoVerb, BlackHole, Reverse, Dual Reverb, MangledVerb, or DynaVerb. Best case is to have both H9 and the Big Sky (H9 can have all the Factor algorithms at once). Here you can contrast how much they Don't overlap:

aliensporebomb

Yes, the Space was something I was looking at too.  For the type of music I seem to be associated with it would seem good to have both.  Hmmmm.  Just what I need, another $500 outlay on guitar effects!  :)

Although with a VG-99, a BigSky, a Space and an RC-300 I basically could sound like a bleeding orchestra in the size of a closet.