Right-angle GK cables?

Started by brain21, December 16, 2009, 09:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

First, Planet Waves never made a right angle 13 pin cable .

And this seller sells mostly car audio 13 pin adapter cables.
And the right angle end will not mate directly with the VG-99's recessed 13 pin input Jack.

Attempt to get it in writing from the seller that this cable will work with Roland gear, use the "Ask Seller a Question" box at the bottom of the ad,

At $23 its worth a gamble.  Could use the sellers stated 100% satisfaction or refund option, but that might be a major hassle, with shipping expenses to Arizona.

If you buy it, be sure to perform a continuity check with an ohm meter that all 13 pins are connected ("one to one", two to two, three to three, etc.. ) for all 13 pins, prior to use with a VG-99.

If it does not work , then reuse the right angle ends and build your own cable.

Realize that not all 13 pin cables are intended for a Roland GK-13 system.  Most 13 pin right angle cables on Ebay have an incompatible internal wiring order and were intended to be  used in  Kenwood/Alpine  Car stereo CD changers and Dell Video Projectors.

Heres another one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200505646879&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_1857wt_1141

As Clint Eastwood says: "Do you feel Lucky?""

gumbo

I do seem to remember this eBay Seller's items and policies being discussed elsewhere...shall we just say that the doubts and concerns have been raised before....

....summary?
....buyer beware...   :o
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

steadystate

Quote from: hugowester on January 06, 2011, 04:02:50 AM
is this thing what we are looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200505646879&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

i asked the seller,my questions were;

first,is this a genuine planet waves 13 pin cable
second,is it compatible with Roland GK and Axon equipment?
third,is it like the photo,gold rangled connectors?
thanks

his reponse was

No, these are after market cables. Yes, it should be compatible with Roland/Axon. Yes, these are right angle 13 PIN. Hope that helps you out. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

as you may see in his advertisment,he specifically tells they are planet waves,then says no...

¿any eperience with this seller/cable?

regards

Hugo
I purchased two of these cables.  They work (that is, they are wired correctly), but the shielding is inadequate for use with the VG series.  If you use an amp with even moderate gain (forget about high gain), the interference is intolerable.  Seriously, there was more noise than signal.  "Real" GK cables blow these away.  The seller is great though.  He sent me a second cable for free when the first one proved inadequate, and then refunded all of my money including shipping.

They may work for guitar synth applications or squeaky clean tones.  Too bad the shielding is inferior.  I REALLY wanted these to work.  The lock mechanism is ingenious as well.

Also, note that the orientation of the pins prevents this cable from being used in a surface mount version of the GK pickup.  The right angle bend will point the cable toward the top of the guitar, making it impossible to insert.  If used with an internal kit or Roland Ready guitar, the cable will point toward your leg or toward the audience depending on the orientation of your internal 13-pin jack.  It won't point toward the strap button.  He sells a version with the pins rotated 90 degrees so that the cable will point toward the strap button or the headstock depending on the orientation of your internal 13-pin jack.

Spawn-X

P'tit lu all...

Just one post to say I was bought a Kenwood/Alpin second hand cable on Amazon.fr last year.
First, as discussed before, internal wiring is incompatible w/ GK systems. It require a rewiring by yourself.
Second, the right-angle 13 pin connector of this original Kenwood cable is really fragile (except the moulted one) . It's just a clipped plastic cover that is so thin. My own cable has 2 right-angle ends, but both are broken and needed to be repaired as it was possible to do.

The Planet Waves cable is a better solution to my point of view. The best way is probably to buy one of this 20ft cable, and cut it on one end to mount a normal GK connector if you need to use it with VG99.
As difficult is searching a right-angle connector parts, is more easier to find a normal one ready to be mounted.

Please, excuse my eventual English mistakes.
Sorry for my bad English. I'm just a poor lonesome froguitarist...

So, feel free to correct me if I make a mistake...

Gears: V-Guitar: VG-99+FC-300; GP-10; AX100MKII; Nord Modular G2 Engine.
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5 + BabyFace + RC-50

fizog

Quote from: steadystate on February 24, 2011, 08:31:42 AM
I purchased two of these cables.  They work (that is, they are wired correctly), but the shielding is inadequate for use with the VG series.  If you use an amp with even moderate gain (forget about high gain), the interference is intolerable.

Do the cables work ok if there is no amp involved, and you listen through headphones? They might be useful to me if that is the case?

Spawn-X

Quote from: Spawn-X on March 25, 2011, 05:38:27 AMThe Planet Waves cable is a better solution to my point of view. The best way is probably to buy one of this 20ft cable, and cut it on one end to mount a normal GK connector if you need to use it with VG99.
As difficult is searching a right-angle connector parts, is more easier to find a normal one ready to be mounted.
I finally planned to buy two of those PW cables, but I'm disappointed by the answers of the eBay seller who don't accept to ship it internationally (to France for my own case).
Anybody knows where I can buy those items and receipt them in France?
Thank you very much for answers.
Alix.

Spawn-X

Big Jim

Another point that I haven't seen mentioned here is that not all right angle plugs are orientated in the same direction. Finding a modular plug that feeds the cable towards your guitar strap as opposed to the back/front of the guitar or the floor may be even more difficult.

Elantric

QuoteAnother point that I haven't seen mentioned here is that not all right angle plugs are orientated in the same direction. Finding a modular plug that feeds the cable towards your guitar strap as opposed to the back/front of the guitar or the floor may be even more difficult.

By design  - most right angle DIN male plugs can be assembled by the end user to allow 4 separate 90 degree angles for the emerging cable
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10242.msg73747#msg73747

Although the one pictured above is seldom offered with more than 8 pins ;(

Elantric

matigrob

I found the best connector available is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201320718239
because:
- gold plated (ground contact is critical)
- complet ground ring (far more solid than two half shells)
- right angle (not essencial, but an obvious desire, on one end only?)
- cheaper then the less ideal
but the cable on this link does not have the right wiring and I cannot find the right one
is it possible that we are a too small "market" for such a cable maker?

Elantric

Correct we are too small a market

Get the Gittler cable and play guitar.

Pete1959

Quote from: Elantric on October 18, 2015, 06:33:22 AM
Correct we are too small a market

Get the Gittler cable and play guitar.

Agreed. I bought 2 Gittler cables over a year ago.

merman93

On the Gittler, and Primova Sound d-13 cables how does the right angle connector "disconnect" from the locking mechanism ? On straight connectors, you depress raised release pin. I see where the right angle locks into the receptacle, but, when inserted, the mechanism is within the receptacle, and a can't find a visible unlocking button. I did get the cable removed, but by luck, and with a considerable amount of time.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Aph

Quote from: merman93 on March 17, 2020, 08:50:09 PM
On the Gittler, and Primova Sound d-13 cables how does the right angle connector "disconnect" from the locking mechanism ? On straight connectors, you depress raised release pin. I see where the right angle locks into the receptacle, but, when inserted, the mechanism is within the receptacle, and a can't find a visible unlocking button. I did get the cable removed, but by luck, and with a considerable amount of time.
There's a spring loaded sleeve (hood) on the right angle plug that you are supposed to pull back to release the lock. It's not the easiest to grab onto, though.
SY-1000  v1.08
BTS for SY-1000  v1.02

HecticArt

The release hood/ collar / thingy on them are pretty good. It can be done with one hand, but it is really streamlined and isn't likely to snag on anything or accidentally get disconnected.

I've got cables from both Gitler and Primova and they are both excellent. I highly recommend the Primova cables simply because they are less expensive and the same high quality. I bought 3 extra cables a couple of years ago so I could leave one where we practice, and I haven't had to take them out of the box yet. 

Rhcole

Still using my Gittler from 4 years ago. Nary a pop or squeak from it yet.

merman93

OK, thanks. I know now how I accidentally finally got it unlatched, and now I can do it on demand.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

billbax

QuoteStill using my Gittler from 4 years ago. Nary a pop or squeak from it yet.

To me that sounds like playing Russian roulette with your precious 13-pin plugs and sockets  ???

I dunno, somebody should make an inexpensive 13-pin dust cover, and help break the 13-pin cable purchase cycle  :D

OldGuitarDude

Quote from: Rhcole on March 18, 2020, 10:25:30 AM
Still using my Gittler from 4 years ago. Nary a pop or squeak from it yet.
Same here.... but I've always carried a new, working (cleaned and tested, then put in a zip-lock bag) GK cable with me on every live gig. But that was wayyy back when they had live music with real musicians  ;D and "Social Distancing" meant "keep your hands off my girlfriend!"

Spawn-X

CodeSmart

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

philjynx

Quote from: CodeSmart on May 05, 2021, 01:28:03 PM
That's a really silly price ;D
When you buy on eBay, it's a binding contract. I've seen other sellers 'accidentally' misplace the decimal point.

gumbo

FWIW, there are regular listings of Roland gear (from Japan) on the Oz eBay that consistently have ridiculous prices...

...I suppose it works for someone, somewhere... :-X
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...