GK-3 "intelligence"?

Started by DML, March 08, 2011, 02:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DML

To me it seems like the GK is a dumb thing. I think the passive pickup signal goes from the guitar input on the GK, straight into the 13-pin cable. So for the passive signal it will use two of the 13 wires. Am I correct? Then it would be possible to buy a 13-pin cable, cut off the 13-pin connector on one side and connect the right wires to a 1/4 inch jack. In this case it would be possible to connect a non-GK-guitar to a i.e. GR-55 and use only the ampmodeling?? Anybody tried this yet?
Boss GT-1000core, Gibson Explorer 2018, Höfner travel guitar, 4x Framus Renegade Pro, Framus Panthera, Framus Panthera Custom 7, G&L Asat, Rocktron/Egnater Velocity Valve, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L Road Ready, Voes MX12 midi controller, Ovation 2078TX-5 Elite, PJB Cub II - AG150.

Gastric

You can effectively do the same thing by simply plugging any guitar into the 1/4" jack on your GK controller which then sends the guitar signal down the 13 pin cable like normal. No cutting necessary.

DML

I know, but then I always have to depend on my GK-equiped guitar.
Boss GT-1000core, Gibson Explorer 2018, Höfner travel guitar, 4x Framus Renegade Pro, Framus Panthera, Framus Panthera Custom 7, G&L Asat, Rocktron/Egnater Velocity Valve, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L Road Ready, Voes MX12 midi controller, Ovation 2078TX-5 Elite, PJB Cub II - AG150.

prsrick

Yes, it can be done.  I just got my 13 pin cable from eBay, cut it and soldered the pin 7 and the shield wires to a 1/4 in female jack, I can plug in any normal guitar to synth and have just normal guitar sound now.

vanceg

???  If you don't want to use your GK-guitar, and you just want to use your standard magnetic pickups...just plug the normal output of any guitar into the Guitar Input jack. 

Wait - You didn't specify what piece of gear you are plugging into. Are you connecting to a VG-99 or a GR-55 or...what?  The VG-99 has a Guitar Input jack while the GR-55 does not.

gumtown

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a 13pin device like the GR-55, but i have been having more crazy thoughts on using the GR-55 for other things by modding the inputs.

Like setting up some cardboard box drums with piezo sensors, and using the 6 hex channels with the GR-55 drum kits, hopefully with a different drum assigned to each GK string channel.

or
Plugging in a vocal microphone into a GK channel and using some modelling or PCM sounds like a vocoder.

I am getting an urge to make a demo video with all instruments, vocals  and FX processing derived from the GR-55.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vanceg

I did some vocal and drum processing through the VG-99's and VG-8 hex inputs at one point.  It worked well, but wasn't all THAT interesting.  I  recall getting some interesting tones running vocals through a Sitar model...but everything was a little like you would expect it to be: Like running vocals through distortion or a resonant filter.  Cool effects, to be sure. 

billbax

Hi DML,

You're talking about cutting through a GK cable and accessing individual guitar signals?  Then you may as well do all of the audio outputs from a GK3 pickup or equavalent.  So that's 1 mono Guitar output, and 6 separate string outputs.  You'll also need a 13 pin plug from your V-Synth to power your GK3. 

After you've recorded your separate strings, you can switch over the inputs to the outputs on your soundcard, and then swap your GK13pin into your V-Synth, and hey-presto...hand-free patch changing!  Not as cool as a breakout box kit, but on the cheap, it's a solution.

Should cost no more than £20.00GB. Plus 8-10 hours labour, depending on your soldering skills.

Mini breakout cable

regards,

Bill
www.separate-strings.co.uk