Installing the GK-3 Pickup?

Started by rsm, November 07, 2015, 09:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsm

Just got my GP-10 with my first GK-3.  Aside from my concern that the double sided tape will damage the satin / flat paint surface of my guitar, I want to be sure I install it correctly.

I've been searching for info here, and on youtube for install vids. I've not found a good step-by-step guide if you have any vids you recommend, that would be great.

If anyone has installed a GK-3 on a Steinberger Synapse SS-2F (no trem system), I'm open to your experience. ;) 

There is little clearance to install the controller, and it protrudes over the top of the guitar slightly; I also need to be able to access the tuners which will be under the 1/4" guitar cable. it will be tight, and I can move the pickup selector switch. I'll also need to wrap a good deal of the pickup cable under the controller.  I've attached a picture of the controller position (not yet mounted).  The guitar is in a gig bag so I'm concerned the controller will get bumped no matter how careful I am  - and I'm careful ;) - even from just carrying the case there could be pressure on the controller?

The fretboard radius is 14". How does that translate to adjusting the pickup? They mention various R values, 184R, 300R, etc.  Should I just adjust the radius by using the clearance gauge and fretting each string at the highest fret?  ???

From what I can gather, here is a summary of the positioning of the pickup, please add or correct:

- Place as close to the bridge as possible. Is it fine to contact the bridge, this way I'm sure it's "straight"?  My thought was to mount it flush with the bridge?
- Check the height from top of pickup to strings by fretting the highest note on 6th and 1st string. (1.0 mm)
- Be sure each string is over part of the corresponding pickup yoke

Anything else?
rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

mmmmgtr

You can be too close to the bridge.  The ideal distance range is between 20mm and 10mm, I believe. That is measuring from the point the string crosses over the saddle to the yoke on the GK. Any closer and the output volume can be impacted. Any further and tracking /crosstalk issues can occur. However,  I've seen installs that push those boundaries and seem to work just fine. I'd try to stay in that range for optimal performance.

rsm

Thanks!

The distance between my bridge pickup and the bridge is exactly 20mm.  If I center the pickup between the bridge pickup and the bridge it will be 10mm.  The instructions say as close to the bridge as possible and no more than 20mm from the bridge.
rsm

Elantric

rsm

Thanks!  I'm "searched challenged"  :P
rsm

rsm

Measuring between my bridge and bridge pickup I found the high E string is 2mm lower than my Low E string.  E-A-D are very close to the same height, G and B about 0.5-1mm lower.

My thought is to use a pad to raise the low string side of the pickup; the high E is almost at 1mm from the pickup yoke without any spacer.  I will need to check again to be sure. The high E is closer than the low E but due to the pickup radius it isn't easy to measure.

Would reducing the radius / flattening the pickup help? Lowering the center would give me more room to adjust the overall height I think?  What are your thoughts?

Any other suggestions?

edit: "amazingly", placing the pickup touching the bridge puts the yokes between 15mm - 20mm!  Now I just need to work out the height!
rsm

Headless68

The height adjustment makes a huge difference - I'm using a Steinberger bridge with an older GK pickup (no radius adjustment) and I can get it to around 1mm in centre and 1.5mm at the E strings - If I go 2mm or more the output is reduced a lot and the response is not as good.

If you are using the tape to fit your pickup it should have come with lots of different thickness shims, if you are lower on one side you can cut one in half to raise only one side.

One other note - the middle of each GK pole on the pickup will most likely not line up exactly with your strings - I find its a balancing act to have enough of the treble E pickup pole so its still in range for string bends and keeping the bass E on the edge of that pole to get good input level.
As a first time I would recommend to use some blutack to test out positions and play to check string bends and output levels before you commit to actually sticking it down.

Final thing - if you need to remove your GK pickup - they do not like to be bent - the wire in them is less than hair thickness, so if you take it off keep it flat while prizing off the tape

rsm

Thanks!

I'm finding this process to be very tedious! LOL.

Seems to be 1-2 strings that are either too close or too far irrespective of the adjustments in the radius and shims, aligning those moves the issue to other strings. Rinse and repeat. 

I'm going to get blu tack (or similar here in the USA), and some double sided tape to test various positions as you recommended @Headless68.

Hopefully, I haven't damaged the pickup in the process.  :-[
rsm

rsm

rsm