Godin with 1999 era LR Baggs - important mod

Started by Howcome, July 01, 2012, 11:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howcome

On some of the older Godin products with the LR Baggs preamps, the Synth volume would drop on the PCM voices when you turned the Godin Synth volume pot above "8" on the guitar. This only happened with the GR-55. Other GR's didn't seem to have this issue.

Quote from: GplayerGodin on April 15, 2012, 08:26:35 PM
I had the same volume issue on the synth part of my LGXT (LR Baggs bridge) and cured the problem by soldering a 100K 1\4 watt resistor between the wiper (center connector) and ground (right connector, if the pot connectors are facing you) on the synth volume pot of the LGXT. It still works fine with my GR-30, GR-33, and now my GR-55. It seems to only be an issue on older LGXTs.
Good Luck

I too had those volume problems with my LGXT-sa,  and did the volume pot mod today.  Works like a charm!  Thanks!

Patrick.

Elantric

Great advice for older Godin's with LR Baggs electronics.
Pic of the 100K resistor on  Vol Pot, inside Godin LGXT with LR Baggs electronics  as this will help others locate the correct pins to solder to.

Galvonot

What problem? I think part of the messages are missing. I have an old LGX-sa, so this is of interest to me.

GplayerGodin

Quote from: Galvonot on July 01, 2012, 06:55:09 PM
What problem? I think part of the messages are missing. I have an old LGX-sa, so this is of interest to me.

On some of the older Godin products with the LR Baggs preamps, the volume would die on the PCM voices when you turned the synth volume pot over the approx 80% value on the guitar. This only happened with the GR-55. Other GR's didn't seem to have this issue.

Elantric

Post the pic - or read the "How to post pics" here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4823.0

Howcome

Elantric

QuoteI cannot seem to post pics using my tablet..  So disregard.

Different Browsers make all the difference

on Ipad I like Atomic Browser
http://atomicwebbrowser.com/

on Android  I like Opera browser

GplayerGodin

Here's a picture of the mod.

Howcome

Thanks for posting the picture,  GplayerGodin.
Mine looked identical,  although i used the pot ground (the shield) and not the pin.

Howcome

.... Finally getting the hang of posting here...   :)

tekrytor

SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

John Go Din

Great forum you guys ;D

I have a Godin LGXT made in 2000 that has the LR Baggs piezo pickup and electronics. Reading this section I get the impression all I need to do is be careful and add the 100K 1\4 watt resister as mentioned here and my LGXT will work well with the GR-55.

However in other sections of the forum I am reading that ALL piezo pickups on Godins have an issue with the GR-55 and require a subsonic filter, and if it uses RMC's electronics the RMC GR-55 Subsonic filter (OPT-01) corrects the problem and works well, at least for most people. I was assuming since its a filter it would also work with the JR Baggs piezo pickup too.

My question  is.....is the subsonic filter only needed for the Godin LGXT's with RCM electronics as this section on the 100K 1\4 watt resister would seem to indicate, or do ALL the Godin's with piezo pickups need the added subsonic filter?

If they all need a subsonic filter does the RCM OPT-01 work with the JR Bagg equiped Godin LGXTs too? 

And last but not least: saying the RCM OPT-01 filter works with the JR Baggs but is not needed, is there any advantage to using it anyway, perhaps to stop the few misses in the tracking?

stueym said:
"Just a shame that Roland didnt just face up to a well known and documented issue with the piezo devices and fix the (opportunity) in the GR-55."

Perhaps stueym should have said "with the RCM piezo devices" instead based on this thread about the resistor mod.

Note: It seem's like the "subsonic filter issue" is only affecting the RCM equiped Godin made before 2009, but not sure if that date is correct to avoid starting a rumor. I have been comunicating with someone using the GR-55 with an RMC equipped Godin LGXT and he has had no problem using the GR-55 with his LGXT.

Thanks,

John^^

Elantric

Re-Read the first post of this thread -

This thread discusses a solution for a very peculiar specific problem for  early (1997-2001) Godin Users with LR Baggs Piezo hex pickups and 13 pin output - adding the 100k resistor on the Volume Pot solves a specific problem which happens only with these guitars.

QuoteOn some of the older Godin products with the LR Baggs preamps, the volume would die on the PCM voices when you turned the synth volume pot over the approx 80% value on the guitar. This only happened with the GR-55. Other GR's didn't seem to have this issue.

On another topic - the RMC OPT-01 subsonic filter board for GR-55 addresses a completely separate problem and will benefit ALL GR-55 users with Piezo Hex pickups. (RMC, Graph-tech Ghost, Fishman, LR Baggs)

The Problem the RMC OPT-01 subsonic filter board for GR-55 addresses:

Quote GR-55 COSM GR-300 patch has too much low frequency rumbles and noises anytime I touch the guitar bridge, and Guitar to PCM and Guitar to MIDI has much mistracking  / wrong notes.

Read more about the RMC OPT-01 subsonic filter board for GR-55 here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.0

and two separate versions of this RMC filter board (with different cutoff frequency filters ) are available for Guitar or Bass. Its essentially similar to the old "Rumble Filter" switch on old phonograph stereos -   RMC OPT-01 subsonic filter board removes low frequency content using six separate active 4 pole filters. 

Contact RMC for details

info@rmcmusic.com

RMC Pickup Co.
1739 Addison #15
Berkeley CA 94703

Elantric

QuoteI have been comunicating with someone using the GR-55 with an RMC equipped Godin LGXT and he has had no problem using the GR-55 with his LGXT.

Its true that RMC makes continual changes  / improvements in their OEM Godin Piezo pre-amp boards they supply to Godin - but its simply impossible to determine which version you may have, due to inventory and supply chain.

The Problem the RMC OPT-01 subsonic filter board for GR-55 addresses:

GR-55 COSM GR-300 patch has too much low frequency rumbles and noises anytime I touch the guitar bridge, and Guitar to PCM and Guitar to MIDI has much mistracking  / wrong notes.

To test if you have the problem, try this patch on the GR-55 "01-3  GR-300 Ctl:+1Oct "  - which uses the COSM Model of a 1981 Roland GR-300 Guitar synth ( Robert Fripp, Pat Methany tone)

John Go Din

Thanks Elantric,

Has anyone tried using the RMC OPT-01 subsonic filter with the LR Baggs LGXT? Sounds like it should work since its just filtering out frequencies. Also, IYO is there any reason to have a GR-33 as well as a GR-55? The arpeggiator sounds like it might be a cool feature, but that seems to be the only thing missing (that I'd want, at least now) in the GR-55.

Great site...must be a lot of work to keep it going. :P

Elantric

QuoteHas anyone tried using the RMC OPT-01 subsonic filter with the LR Baggs LGXT?

Yes - Read the 5 page thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.msg29865#msg29865

QuoteSounds like it should work since its just filtering out frequencies.

It does.

Read DADonaldd post:
QuoteWOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW!

I got my subsonic filter from Richard McClish (RMC) today, and installed it - it took all of 10 minutes total - it was VERY simple, thanks to this forum, and the great instructions Richard posted here.

It changed the GR-55's GR-300 patch from being absolutely unusable to being my very VERY favorite patch!

I should mention that I use a Godin LGX-SA guitar with an LR Baggs stationary bridge pickup.

Incidentally, I cannot make the GR-55 glitch now, even if I try. I think filtering off the low frequency stuff below the musical spectrum was just what the doctor ordered.

I highly recommend this modification, and I cannot understand why Roland, or Godin, don't include this circuitry in their product!

QuoteAlso, IYO is there any reason to have a GR-33 as well as a GR-55? The arpegiator sounds like it might be a cool feature, but that seems to be the only thing missing in the GR-55.

There are unique properties of every piece of gear that fit a specific need. Myself I have more gear than most small music stores - occasionally rent it out locally to touring pros,
I tend to buy broken gear cheap on ebay and fix it myself ( I once ran a major Roland factory Service Center for 7 years as my day gig)   
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

Ive been taking my toys and gear apart to see what makes it tick since age 7 and never intend to stop learning - its the best method to learn and analyze the "best methods" for manufacturing and product design.

The old GR-33 also works as a MIDI Tone module - which the GR-55 does not

Myself I keep an old GR-30 around as it also has an Arpegiator, and More external Control options with its External Expression pedal and Control switch jacks (Lacking on the GR-55)  Also its been measured that it actually tracks Guitar to Synth faster than the GR-55 - Many still use the old GR-30 and Pat Methany is known to still pull out the old 1980 GR-300 from time to time.   

Ultimately you have to use what works for YOUR needs.

But it may take a few years and lots of exposure to lots of gear and experience to determine what those needs are. ;)

kentchorder

Just did this mod on my LGXT, works like a charm!

Thanks a lot! :)

Elantric

Glad you got your Godin Synth Volume Pot working !

QuoteOn some of the older Godin products with the LR Baggs preamps, the volume would die on the PCM voices when you turned the synth volume pot over the approx 80% value on the guitar. This only happened with the GR-55. Other GR's didn't seem to have this issue.

guitared

anyone know what the pot values are for the lr baggs board? I got a buddy with an lgxt from early 2000s, and the pots are very worn out. The tone pot is A500k, but the synth volume and guitar volume I cannot read as they have solder over the numbers...
I cannot take it apart to measure  because he needs the guitar regularly.
I will also do the 100k resister mod, as he also gets the gr55 volume cutout...
It is the red board, dated 1997., also a sticker says "synth emod ver 1.1.

thanks for any help....

Elantric

They are open three more hours
http://www.lrbaggs.com/support
LR Baggs
Contact Us
Phone: (805) 929-3545
Fax: (805) 929-2043
(Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday, 8:30AM-5PM PST)
Address: 483 N. Frontage Road, Nipomo, California, 93444

Technical Support Options
LR Baggs Discussion Forum: Click here to visit
http://www.lrbaggs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?2-Main-Forum

Email Support: Click here to Email
http://www.lrbaggs.com/_v/contact.php
Phone Support: (805) 929-3545

Not sure on LR Baggs version but I know the RMC versions use:

* 100K for the linear slider pots ( EQ, Mono Piezo Volume)

* 500K Audio taper for Mag PU Volume, Mag PU Tone, Synth Volume

guitared

Thanks for the reply Elantric.....I figure they are most likely 500 k audio....just want to check before I dig into it. I will check out the links you gave....

admin

Reference for LR Baggs GK 13 preamp