Every time You Go Away - live multi tasking combined bass/hammond and acoustic!

Started by Smash, April 30, 2016, 01:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Busking my way through this and then going off on one half way through and proper giving it some!

Despite this Lenny, the Bull Terrier, remains distinctly unimpressed...

VG99 covering Bass and Hammond (the organ doesn't catch cleanly a couple of times but hey!) and Variax is is doing acoustic.

It's a lot of fun messing with this set up. I apologise for judicious use of Eleanor Rigby!

! No longer available

thebrushwithin

Excellent!!! Your apology for Eleanor Rigby made me laugh, cause I use the very same verse licks in many improvs! :D

stratrat

Wonderful! That's exactly how I like to see a V-Guitar used.

Loved what you were doing with the expression pedal on the organ sound. It really makes me wish my feet weren't too busy to use one.

Autana

Great! nice use of looping in the just point. Great organ sound to me. I appreciate when spontaneous performance arise as fuel of making any kind of music, you get it!   
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Smash

Must admit the expression pedal is only used as freeze function - I just find that the most comfortable way to do the freeze thing! Just one of my quirks

Funny thing about the looser is I only use it as a basic drum machine - which is actually quite a pain in the ass but you do have 30 mins of backing track available!

stratrat

Quote from: Smash on May 01, 2016, 08:54:48 AM
Must admit the expression pedal is only used as freeze function
Ah! I see now that I pay more attention to the beginning bit. So the Leslie speed is velocity controlled?

I like to use the CTL pedal for sustain and/or Leslie, but rarely get the chance as I use two kick drum pedals and triggers for drums, which keep my feet otherwise occupied.

QuoteFunny thing about the looser is I only use it as a basic drum machine - which is actually quite a pain in the ass but you do have 30 mins of backing track available!
Do you load a different set of loops for each song then?

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Smash

The Leslie spin up and down is automated using the internal wave pedal assign - so it kicks in and out at regular intervals on its own.

The organ is similar to the one in my gospel patch.

maxdaddy

I've never used the internal wave pedal to change the speed of the Leslie before. Can you describe that configuration or post a patch that I can study?

I loved the improvisation by the way!

Smash

Quote from: maxdaddy on October 19, 2016, 08:42:07 PM
I've never used the internal wave pedal to change the speed of the Leslie before. Can you describe that configuration or post a patch that I can study?

Thanks man. Sure no problem - the trick with this one for me was to get the switching from fast to slow on an uneven cycle so not just 2 second fast, 2 second slow, 2 second fast which you'd pick up on. i wanted it to sound more randomly switched - more human.

These are the settings from that patch for the assign:

Wave pedal Form = SAW
Rate = 11
Min assinged to Slow of Rotary
Max assigned to Fast of Rotary
Momentary
Range Low 60
Range High 127

The combination of the saw shape wave and setting the range low to 60 means the bulk of time is spent in slow mode, spinning up to fast only briefly.

Try it out - mess with the settings - see what works for you - you could assign a manual over ride on a latch control pedal to hold the fast on if you wanted.

Have fun!

aliensporebomb

Sounds really good.  Nice arrangement and I like the end result!  Musical and entertaining.  I figured you were using the pedal to freeze the Hammond chords but it was still cool to watch you play the somewhat busy guitar/bass stuff while the organ was doing its own thing.  I still think you did it real seamlessly.  Cool!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Smash

Thanx Todd. Yeah the Exp is used only for the freeze to hold the Hammond chords - so I hit an initial chord and freeze immediately then vamp with the acoustic over the top. I like using the expression as freeze as it just feels natural to me for some reason.

The Hammond is playing on all strings with low E and A octaved down via 12 string effect.

The Rotary fast slow is automated using the internal wave pedal as detailed above.

P Bass is on low A and E and finally the Variax is providing the acoustic sound totally outside the VG99 on a separate mixer channel.

Sounds busier than it actual is to do play in real life bizarrely!

slooky

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Smash

The VG99 patch is just bass and organ as the Variax was giving the acoustic but happy to post later today.