Optimal GK Hex Pickup Settings.

Started by Elantric, August 19, 2008, 11:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,138.0.html

Optimal GK Hex Pickup Settings.     

1) Verify your GK PU installation meets factory specs. 
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/howto.html
Follow the steps outlined on your specific GK compatible PU installation, verify your GK hex pickup string height physically meets the suggested factory settings in the GK pickup installation manual, or meets your Guitar Manufacturers published specifications.

2) Go to Page 42 of the VG-99 Owner's Manual - "Inputting the Divided Pickup Settings", and choose your specific Divided Hex PU type.

3) For GK-3 users, realize that the VG-99 allows you to install the divided PU in "Standard Position" (with cable emerging near the Low E string)  - or "Reverse Position" ( with cable emerging near the High E string) Mount it which ever way suits your playing style. Follow the steps in the VG-99 Manual to enter all the divided PU settings for your instrument. (Guitar Scale length, Phase Match with Normal Pick up, Setting S1/S2.

Distance between Bridge and PU.

The PU Distance setting impacts the COSM Guitar Modeling  - specifically the tone of the COSM Strat Modeled Neck PU, Neck + Middle PU positions is where you hear a correlation of the impact of the GK PU distance setting and scale length.
For accurate  COSM Modeling on Roland V-Guitar systems, it relies on a hex PU no Closer than 10mm ( 20mm is ideal) and no further than 30mm distance away from the bridge and have this specific distance specified in the GK settings.
Its for this reason I'm not a fan of alternate mag hex Pickups for guitar. If you get the Mag Hex PU further away than 30mm, typical string bending creates problems with string volume drop outs and trouble with DSP alt tunings. 
And remember if you set the GK Type to PIEZO, the GK Distance setting is irrelevant and ignored

4) Go to Page 45 of the VG-99 Owner's Manual - "Adjusting Sensitivity for Each String", and Rotate the F1–F6 knobs to adjust the
sensitivity. Play each open string with the maximum force you'd use in an actual performance, and set the sensitivity such that the meter
registers a level just before reaching the maximum level.

* If the large segments at the right end of the level meter appear, it means the level is set too high. Lower the sensitivity setting.

* Pressing [F1]–[F6] initializes each string's value to 65.

* Depending on the guitar you use, the level meter may move to the maximum level even when the sensitivity is set to the minimum
setting. If this occurs, adjust the clearance separating the divided pickup and the strings so the distance is slightly greater than specified.

Now go to page 46  of the VG-99 Owner's Manual and find "Using Different Guitar Settings in Each Patch" Follow the Steps for "Patch"

{The GK Settings can be specified individually for each PATCH. Use this setting when switching among multiple STRING SENSITIVITY SETTINGS as you perform.}

With the release  of the VG-99 firmware Rev 1.04 - we now have 4 additional GK PU type "memory slots" to store alternate string sensitivity levels with a new 2 band EQ for GK PU. these "Piezo PU Memory slots" can be useful  regardless of your actual GK hex PU type ( Roland GK-3 Mag Hex , or RMC or Ghost  Piezo Hex)

Many longtime VG users have realized that unlike its predecessors ,  the VG-99 is extremely sensitive to the hex PU String sensitivity, and quite often its desired to have separate unique string sensitivity settings that can by called up on the fly for specific patches when trying to get the best performance from the VG-99.

For example, the Roland factory in Japan ships the VG-99 with a default string sensitivity of "65" for the Roland GK-3 PU. On my Strat with .010 D'Addarrio round wound strings  this yields MisTracking of Guitar to MIDI ( Due to Adjacent string crosstalk) lack of headroom, lack of dynamic range, and lack of definition for most patches, specifically the Steel String Acoustic Guitar emulations - which will sound "rubbery" and nothing like an Acoustic guitar.   By lowering the Roland GK-3 PU String sensitivity down to the "20-30" range - suddenly the factory Acoustic guitar patches come to life, and have dynamic response, and timbre much closer to the targeted emulation. Most of the patches suddenly take on new dynamic range and respond to subtle changes in picking dynamics. which is something I like. 
A query of our Forum Members shows that majority of us with Roland GK-3 use a Sensitivity setting in the range of "20-30" for all strings. 

# Hot Tip -  However note that Many VG-99 Patches may work better with a hotter string sensitivity. Often the GR300 emulation functions, or two handed EVH tapping styles respond better with a hotter "GK String Sensitivity" than "20-30" -  - more like "80-100"  - so the trick is  USE A DIFFERENT GK PU Memory Slot, and assign a different GK String Sensitivity setting for each GK PU memory slot. Use those PIEZO PU type memory slots  (even with a GK-3) and program several unique string sensitivities for the same guitar add 2 band EQ to taste.
The GK Settings can be specified individually for each PATCH. Use this setting when switching among multiple STRING SENSITIVITY SETTINGS as you perform.As with everything on the VG-99 - Adjust to taste! There is no wrong way - if it sounds good it is good.

EDIT:

If you are using the Roland GR-55  - be sure you have downloaded all the VGuitarForums GR-55 Setup docs here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18

Elantric

Re impact of variable Gk-3  Hex PU string sensitivity to Patch Sharing -

VG-99 Patch sharing is no different than Patch Sharing of other modelers.
Rule number #1 when it comes to all Guitars is:
Every Guitar is unique. There are many variables which contribute to the fact that a VG-99 patch designed by one VG-99 user, may not sound like the posted MP3 demo on your Gear  with your VG-99, and with your Guitar.  The best we can hope for when downloading VG-99 patches we find on the internet is getting in the ballpark of the targeted sound, re-tweaking to taste is typically mandatory for all VG-99 patches here.

It would really help if on the Patch download Post  we All mentioned the type of guitar , Type of Gk divided Hex Pickup used, type of string used, scale length, Gk string sensitivity and amplification system employed when programming the posted VG-99 patch. All these varibles contribute at least 30% to the final sound - 70% is the actual player.
( a well kept studio secret)     

davep2000

Elantric,

I've installed my own GK-3 internal a while ago with the cable emerging nearest to the thin E string into the guitar cavity
I had to switch the GK setting to 'reverse' as expected
I've used the COSM switch position since, but I'm now interested in the original PU sound and combinations of both
I wasn't sure what GK Pick Up Phase was until a spoke to a Strat user recently
He suggested that the GK and original PU need to be in phase otherwise the mixed PU outputs may sound 'thin'

I've tried both GK PU phase positions, and other than a slight EQ shift, there's no apparent phase cancellation
If I use the COSM only option, does GK phase matter?
Or as suggested, is GK PU Phase important only when used with the original PU?

Thoughts please?

admin

GK Phase setting is only heard when you have the GK-3 three way switch in the  "Mix" position when combining COSM Modeling and Normal  Mag PU sound

I use the bridge Mag PU Normal guitar with its volume set to "10" and GK PU set with my desired string sensitivity, and i adjust the "Normal PU" gain on the VG/GR/GP to match the level of the GK PU - then set the "Phase" for highest output and best tone. It should be apparent in headphones

davep2000

Thanks for the reply,
so there's no way of knowing if I'm in or out of phase with my original PU, other than listen?
I've simply tried both in various patches, overdriven and clean and there's just a slight eq shift

Yohanes

I recently try to understand the effect of setting the GK pickup distance from bridge setting  (in the GP-10 GK setting, not the actual physical). I mounted my GK-3 pickup around 10mm from bridge, and I dial the distance 1-6 accordingly, later I try to change this setting to extreme (30mm and 10mm as available in GP-10). I try to play some patches (especially patch number 3 GR-300 Lead) but I didn't hear or feel any different, any body know what effect of the Distance 1-6 parameter in Boss GP-10 do?

Sorry if this question already been answered else where.

Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

admin

I recently try to understand the effect of setting the GK pickup distance from bridge setting  (in the GP-10 GK setting, not the actual physical). I mounted my GK-3 pickup around 10mm from bridge, and I dial the distance 1-6 accordingly, later I try to change this setting to extreme (30mm and 10mm as available in GP-10). I try to play some patches (especially patch number 3 GR-300 Lead) but I didn't hear or feel any different, any body know what effect of the Distance 1-6 parameter in Boss GP-10 do?

Sorry if this question already been answered else where.

The PU Distance setting impacts the COSM Guitar Modeling  - specifically the tone of the COSM Strat Modeled Neck PU, Neck + Middle PU positions is where you hear a correlation of the impact of the GK PU distance setting and scale length

For accurate  COSM Modeling on Roland V-Guitar systems, it relies on a hex PU no Closer than 10mm ( 20mm is ideal) and no further than 30mm distance away from the bridge and have this specific distance specified in the GK settings.

Its for this reason I'm not a fan of alternate mag hex Pickups for guitar. If you get the Mag Hex PU further away than 30mm, typical string bending creates problems with string volume drop outs and trouble with DSP alt tunings.   

And remember if you set the GK Type to PIEZO, the GK Distance setting is irrelevant and ignored

Yohanes

Hi admsustainiac,

Thanks for the explanation, it make sense now, so the distance 1-6 parameters are for accurate COSM guitar modeling, and no real effect for synth or MIDI tracking. This is also true with the scale parameter I guess. I get it, I will prove this later when I get the time.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50