Home use: Studio Monitors or Loudspeaker/PA?

Started by Codeseven, December 05, 2016, 09:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

Both!  I use two main amp systems for home use.

My DAW is connected to an old home theater system for recording purposes.   Yes, I sometimes do 5.1 recordings there.   My two main fronts are a pair of Yamaha NS-10Ms.  These are excellent in this configuration.

For playing & practicing, for easy plug-n-play & more of a "guitar" sound, I use a Roland Cube 15X.    I love this little amp!   Sounds pretty good at any volume.   Can be found really cheap used...

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story

https://www.roland.com/global/products/cube-15x/

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Codeseven

Thanks guys.

I've read that using the right IR's, such as Redwirez, in conjunction with amp modelers can add allot of punch at lower volumes. I don't have any experience with them but I might have to look into using them.

Larsson

I would greatly appreciate some advice. I'm looking for a pair of monitors for home use. There are a lot of opinions and reviews on monitors when used with guitar modeling systems (Kemper, Helix, etc.) but if they are used with guitar synth or bass modeling, the requirement for lower frequencies is different compared to using it with only guitar sounds. My goal is to have a reliable monitoring system at home, so that the sounds will translate well when going direct to PA.

I'd like to avoid having a subwoofer so I would prefer to have a 2.0 system. Should I go with monitors that have an 8" woofer, or would something in the 5-6" woofer range manage the job? I don't have a possibility to go and test different monitors, so I would be thankful for any tips. I know that not all monitors are equal, some high quality small monitors outperform low quality bigger monitors, but I'm looking for a general guide lines here.

kevorkian

Quote from: Larsson on January 27, 2020, 11:16:48 AM
I would greatly appreciate some advice. I'm looking for a pair of monitors for home use. There are a lot of opinions and reviews on monitors when used with guitar modeling systems (Kemper, Helix, etc.) but if they are used with guitar synth or bass modeling, the requirement for lower frequencies is different compared to using it with only guitar sounds. My goal is to have a reliable monitoring system at home, so that the sounds will translate well when going direct to PA.

I'd like to avoid having a subwoofer so I would prefer to have a 2.0 system. Should I go with monitors that have an 8" woofer, or would something in the 5-6" woofer range manage the job? I don't have a possibility to go and test different monitors, so I would be thankful for any tips. I know that not all monitors are equal, some high quality small monitors outperform low quality bigger monitors, but I'm looking for a general guide lines here.

I'm sure there are exceptions to what I'm about to write...

As a general rule of thumb, if impactful bass response is important and you would like to skip getting a sub, you'd want to look in the 8" woofer range. In my experience, while you might find sold/surprising/enjoyable bass response from 5-6" woofers, you won't get the subwoofer feeling from them and whatever bass response you enjoy at reasonable volume levels usually disappears at loud volumes. 5-6" woofers thrive when paired with a sub. 

Also, even within the 8" range the amount of apparent lows can vary widely so it's good to test whatever you can before buying. 

admin

I use a few different near field Monitor speakers

However if Im tracking Bass Guitar, I use my 50 year old JBL Century L-100 12" three way speakers   
1969 – L-100, a consumer version of the 4311 is launched – this would sell over 125,000 pairs in the 70s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBL

Larsson

Thank you kevorkian and admin. Those comments kind of confirm what I was speculating myself, but it helps a lot to have some confirmation when I have very limited possibilities to test those differences myself. I'll start to look for monitors in the 8" woofer sizes, I think it will be a good all around compromise considering sound, my usage, size of the monitor and my room size. Thanks again!