Godin passion rg2 -anybody?

Started by myksara, November 10, 2013, 11:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

The godin rg2 looks like a dream guitar to me with extremely light weight, HDR system, 13pin synth access for a gr55 and a USB out..but sadly there ain't any reviews or demos on the internet for the RG2.
Does anyone here own it?
I am thinking it as an alternative to my heavy lgxt. Would the rg2 be a wise upgrade over the lgxt?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

MeanMrMustard

Hey myksara,

Yes it looks like a nice guitar. If I am not mistaken, it does not have a 13 pin output. Check the godin site. It is not part of their synth access line. I wish it did have a 13 pin output, I'd probably get one. Who knows maybe they will add this to their FTP line of guitars. Now that would be cool.

MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

MeanMrMustard

Sorry myksara

I was looking at the rg3 model which is not synth access

You are right, my bad. The rg2 definitely has one.

MeanMrMustard

MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

Elantric

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinpassionrg2p.htm

Specs
Hard Rock Maple neck with tobacco satin stain.
Ergocut Rosewood Fingerboard.
12" fingerboard radius.
25 1/2" Scale.
1 11/16" nut width.
Spruce body & highly figured carved flame maple top.
Lightweight Multi-chambered body with
5 tuned Synchronized Resonance Chambers, Inlay pickguard, Smoked binding & Hard wood back plates.
2 Godin Custom Humbucker pickups.
5-way switch, 1 volume, 1 tone, 1 synth volume, 1 momentary switch & 3-way mini toggle switch.
Outputs: 1/4", 13-pin (Graphtech Shadow System) & USB audio out for direct computer access.
Godin Tru-Loc Tremolo System.
Gotoh High ratio 18:1 machine heads
Colors: Natural HG

I was interested - UNTIL I read the Godin RG2 uses a Graphtech Shadow 13 pin system ;(
Myself I would pass - while it may be OK for Guitar to MIDI, on any Roland COSM Modeling system (VG-99,GR-55) the Graphtech Shadow Piezo system has much worse S/N Ratio with a lot of hiss and noise, forcing the requirement to use of the GK N.S. Noise Suppressor, which kills too much dynamic range for my playing style.

And of course you will need a third party  High Pass Filter for use with VG-99/ GR-55 

A GK-3 is my 1st choice of hex PU today - less hiss, better dynamic range and palm muting 

The RMC Piezo system  also has much lower noise than the Graphtech.

The USB Audio Out is rather mundane 16 bit- for similar audio performance just get one of these instead.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx
GUITAR LINK UCG102

or

if you have have ears and want low noise 24 bit - this is better
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigPro/

myksara

Thanks for the valuable inputs on the shortcomings of a 13pin graphtech shadow system and the USB Elantric!
I was initially thinking of a PRS Maryland Custom 24 or a PRS 513 until I saw the Godin Passion RG2 (only on the internet).

Leaving aside the 13 pin and USB connectors, would it still be a better purchase than a PRS? The features that look interesting  on the Godin are the extremely light weight and resonance/sustain and the HDR (high definition revoicer) on it.

I would anyway mount a GK3 on a PRS. so if the graphtech on the Godin is not good enough, I can install an external GK3 on it as well.  :D
I don't necessarily need a guitar with a 13pin. But an all-in-one package is nice to have  ;D
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

datsunrobbie

Hi myksara. One thing I noticed comparing the guitars you are looking at is that the Godin has a 25.5" scale length, the PRS guitars have a 25" scale. The 1/2 inch difference in scale can make a huge difference in the "feel" of the guitar. I play my strats most of the time, and find that when I do break out the PRS CE24 that it takes me a few minutes to adjust. Whatever you decide, try one out before buying, or if you can't do that make sure you can send it back if it turns out to be "not so good".

jpbpro

I've owned mine for about 2 yrs, and I it's my absolute favorite... 13 pin or not.  (Currently own a Brain Moore 2.13, Custom Shop LP Classic, 90s Tele... Have owned a couple of LGXTs and a BM 8.13 in the past as far as 13 pin guitars go).  The passion is just an awesome playing guitar.  Tuners are terrific.  Pickups sound awesome.  Great neck and perfect intonation.  Flawless finish, although the guitar looks more yellow-ish than some of the online pics may represent. 

The entire guitar just resonates in your hand like nothing I've ever played.  And, it's looks pretty sexy. 

I don't think it's a super light guitar though.  Weight wise, it feels about like any modern strat.

Downsides would be...
1) the volume pot doesn't completely taper the output signal to zero.  There's still the slightest signal making it's way out.  This is amplified by distortion and compressor pedals.  Not a big deal for me, as I like to use a volume pedal. 
2) As other have said, the Graphtech system may not be the best, particularly with newer units like the gr55.  I've tried it with the gr55, and I was able to get it tracking pretty well, but it took an hour or so of setup...  I had better results with the Brian Moore, but I'm not really into synth stuff anyways.  I'm more into the pickup modeling and pitch shifting that 13-pin gear offers.   

I'm stuck in the 90's and still love my vg88.  For what I use it for, the passion has been a great guitar.  You get a lot for the money.   

Metrick

I was looking for a new guitar with 13 pins, tried fender/roland guitar & didn't like the way it plays & feels. I own Godin LGX & very happy with it, so decided to order Godin passion RG2 about 2 week ago. Got the guiatr last Saturday. The guitar is well made & very happy with the guitar. Take me about 10 minutes to setup with roland gr55, There was one  small issue with first & 2nd string sensitivity, during tuning, first & 2nd string would show the same note. Fixed the problems by lower 2nd string sensitivity & increase first string. The pickup was set for graptech pickup & 647.5 mm for length. It's hard to put it down, it just ring in your hands.

mak

Am considering Godin RG2 but cant find any locally. Does anyone have additional on quality etc,  info since last post>
Thanks