Home From NAMM 2016 and... I STILL love my VG-99 made 9 years ago....

Started by vanceg, January 25, 2016, 08:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanceg

Even years and years after it's release, the VG-99 remains the most impressively powerful and creative guitar processor I have ever seen...and most surely the best tool I have been able to find for creating interesting tunings and tones.

Yes - Indeed - there are devices which do better pitch shifting (Antares ATG), and (MUCH) better amp emulation (Kemper), but for pure creative fun and flexibility... I still think the VG-99 is the best device out there by a long shot.

Just smiling.

FreeTime

To my ears the VG-99 has a depth to its sound that just isn't there with anything else. While I prefer the spit of the GP-10's GR300 and the synth sounds are just great on the GR-55, the VG-99 is definitely the most ethereal of the bunch (not that it lacks punch when needed), especially when you plug in some of the patches like 'escapism' or 'Instant Bluegrass' to name just two. That , along with a dedicated foot controller so you can have the brains at your hands for the D-beam is just a winning combination.

aliensporebomb

It's a wonderbox all right and I think time will bear that out - I've gotten some things lately that have surprised me and I thought I had a good idea of all the sounds it could make.  There's really nothing it can't do.  So long as it keeps working, I suspect I will be finding new sounds several years from now and perhaps beyond that.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Bill Ruppert

Hands down best box ever made!
I will never be with out one.
I need to fire up my spare to keep the capacitors formed.

alexmcginness

Ive got two of them. When I work on the cruise ships I never fail to get guitarists asking me what I use. Most of them say theyve never seen or heard of the VG-99.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

asb2m10

This kinda of make me sad that Roland miss the boat on this, they have made impressive iconic devices: TR-808, JP-8 and VG-99. The firsts ones are analog synths stuff and complex to mass produce (for the analog parts) but the VG-99, it is all about software since it is digital.

As a GR-55 owner that first bought the device for the midi interface and later was amazed for potential/creativity on the COSM/VG stuff, waited to see if there is something new... will have to wait more; like the potential TR-808 and JP-8 owners :(

GovernorSilver

My Ampeg Jet 20 tube amp died the other day. 

I'm now using the VG-99 and Bluetooth speaker (aux in connection) so I can keep practicing on electric guitar.  Pretty happy with it.

aliensporebomb

I've spent the last month or so working on a soundtrack for a new film that will be coming out. 

I don't think I could have done the work within the time constraints provided without the VG. 

I've actually found some unusual and novel ways of using it that I've not used before.

I'm having a blast with it.  I'm in the home stretch!

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

ConstruKction

Quote from: aliensporebomb on April 06, 2016, 07:45:26 PM
I've actually found some unusual and novel ways of using it that I've not used before.

Would you like to share your secrets with us? :-)

hippietim

I still think the VG-8EX is the coolest box for synthy trippy guitar.  They never recaptured that HRM stuff with any subsequent device.

whippinpost91850

Sounds like fun, hope to checkout the music... Glad to see you're back wondered where you've been :)

pasha811

I have no experience with other GK units other than testing at the shops but I am quite happy with my VG99, especially now that sits closer to my desk and permanently connected to iMac and Mixer. Thanks to ASB and other senior users I have learned to get what I need for my music. I can't imagine a world without it.  ;D
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/