Switching between two guitars

Started by danielleoh, January 06, 2016, 10:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielleoh

I've got a dilemma that doesn't seem to have come up before. While I can't afford two VG's, I do have more than one guitar with GK-ready pickups (a Godin classical that is Roland-ready and a GK-3 on another instrument). I want to be able to quickly switch between the two guitars in a performance, and foolishly invested in the US-20, thinking that it was an actual switching system and would let me jump from one to the other guitar (in fact it electronically enables or disables the device on the other end of things, so while it can switch between two VG/GR devices, it cannot turn on or off a GK pickup on a guitar).
So... does anyone make a switch like this? Wish my setup were smaller to begin with; I'd save up and buy another VG or a GR-55, but since i'm already hauling a ton of gear I was hoping to make it work this way.

By the way; just in case you ever want to try something completely different; you can in fact use the US-20 to merge two GK signals. Provided they have the same signal strength (like, both are GK's or both are the same type of piezo pickup system) it's completely possible to play both instruments through the VG at the same time. Not the very greatest of sounds, but it is kinda cool if you have another guitarist in the band who wants to also play the same patch you're playing. chaotically. Play the same patch chaotically...

Elantric

QuoteI've got a dilemma that doesn't seem to have come up before. While I can't afford two VG's, I do have more than one guitar with GK-ready pickups (a Godin classical that is Roland-ready and a GK-3 on another instrument). I want to be able to quickly switch between the two guitars in a performance, and foolishly invested in the US-20, thinking that it was an actual switching system and would let me jump from one to the other guitar (in fact it electronically enables or disables the device on the other end of things, so while it can switch between two VG/GR devices, it cannot turn on or off a GK pickup on a guitar).
So... does anyone make a switch like this? Wish my setup were smaller to begin with; I'd save up and buy another VG or a GR-55, but since i'm already hauling a ton of gear I was hoping to make it work this way.

Find a few third party GK 13 pin Switching hardware solutions here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=174.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9143.0

But know if you swap between a Godin Multiac Nylon Piezo PU GK-13 pin guitar, and Strat with GK-3  - you still must change the current setting for "GK TYPE" on all connected GK 13 pin Processors   

QuoteBy the way; just in case you ever want to try something completely different; you can in fact use the US-20 to merge two GK signals. Provided they have the same signal strength (like, both are GK's or both are the same type of piezo pickup system) it's completely possible to play both instruments through the VG at the same time. Not the very greatest of sounds, but it is kinda cool if you have another guitarist in the band who wants to also play the same patch you're playing. chaotically. Play the same patch chaotically...

Just know this is NOT recommended - as the Roland US-20 is designed as a one way device  = One Guitar > Two GK 13 pin Processors (UNIT A) & (UNIT B)

If you connect separate GK 13 pin Guitars to the US-20's UNIT A and UNIT B Outputs, You risk damage to the Internal Op Amp inside the US-20, and Internal active electronics in each Gk 13 pin guitar

Also Its important to read this thread

(US-20 Design - Importance of GK-VOL Assignment)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2246.0