GK Kit install in a Stratocaster

Started by Frankster, January 24, 2015, 01:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankster

The time has come for me to set aside my old GK-2a and do a proper install of a GK Kit into a Stratocaster so I thought it would be a good idea to post a few blog pages detailing the process.

As the saying goes, "if I was going there myself then I wouldn't start from here" ... so I haven't elected to use a standard Stratocaster for this. Instead I'm using an old Japanese "Contemporary" Strat. Turns out from today's dismantling and inspection that this may very well be the perfect guitar for a GK retrofit due to the routing, the story so far is detailed here ..

https://vguitar.wordpress.com/2015/01/21/gk-install-part-1-planning-stages/

https://vguitar.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/gk-install-part-2-dismantling-and-assessment/

The project's on hold for a few days while the new bridge and pickguard are on order but this one looks like it's going to be pretty straightforward.

lee.tantum

Fab job so far.... would love to see a pic of underneath the scratch plate... im planning on doing this to my strat too! :)

Frankster

Finished for now, the Kahler's on hold for a few weeks but hot damn, this is a nice guitar now ...

gvidelock

Nice job!

Is the GK pickup mounted on the pickguard or did you have to cut into the pickguard?
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

Frankster

That's mounted onto the pickguard. I'm still setting it up to get the height and radius set correctly but I've found that with a bit more clearance from the strings than I had with the external GK2 I'm getting far better tracking and none of the weird harmonics I had before.

I'll post internal shots next time the strings are off but be warned, it ain't pretty in there.

Tonato

Hi Frankster! Many thanks for sharing this, very interesting your blog!

I have a Fender American deluxe that I love playing and the way its sound, its just one of my fav guitars. I am considering in installing a GK KIT, but I am concern that this will effect the sound of the guitar as I would have to cut some wood to install it.( I would take it to someone to do it!)

I believe that because you didn't have to take out wood of your guitar to install the GK kit, the sound might have not be affected, but if that is the case with mine, do you believe its worth doing it to an american deluxe strat? I don't mind about the guitar losing value, but I do mind about negatively effecting the sound/sustain/tone of it.
Shame Fender don't produce an american GK ready.

Cheers!!!

CodeSmart

Quote from: Tonato on May 26, 2015, 01:33:28 PM
do you believe its worth doing it to an american deluxe strat? I don't mind about the guitar losing value, but I do mind about negatively effecting the sound/sustain/tone of it.
Shame Fender don't produce an american GK ready.

FWIW, I did a GK-Kit job on my American Special HSS. The amount of wood you need to remove for the board to fit underneath the pots down towards the jack is negligible. A couple of tea spoons. In my opinion there's no way it could affect the acoustic sound of the guitar.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Tonato

Thanks so much CodeSmart, I wish you would be based in London to do it yourself!

I might do it then! I am thinking in taking it to Noden Guitars in Denmark Street. I will still wait a bit and research a bit more before doing it! I love this forum so much, you are all great people :)

CodeSmart

This is the current incarnation. GK-KIT + Kill pot (press vol pot) + Coil split ( lift tone knob ) + Seymour Duncan pups.
New unique pick guard. Neck is PLEKED in the only PLEK machine in Sweden (that I know of). The neck is just super perfect now.
When I bought this American made guitar the neck must have been made on a Monday, really bad with buzzing etc.
Frets were not at the same level. Impressed by US Fender neck quality...Not! Had to spend a lot of money to get it right.
Never had this problem with my other guitars.

These pics are from the initial installation of the GK-KIT:
(Make sure to use a lot of tape, the paint is hard and may crack when drilling)

Check that the position is ok even for a stand

Use a Dremel tool for all heavy work. So easy with these small sand paper rolls  :D

A long drill rotated only by hand is recommended to widen cable passages to pups.

The boards fits fine in a strat, just minor cavity work.

Mark where you want your stuff. Be aware the S1/S2 buttons need perfect holes. If just a little too big they will fall into the guitar.

I placed the GK pickup onto the pick guard because the angle of my neck was already in proper angle
because I skimmed it earlier due to sharp edges of the string height adjustment screws.
They hurted my hand. By tilting the neck these string adjustment screws became shorter.
This also gave me enough height to fit the GK on top of my pick guard.

And finally, done... (first incarnation).
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

whippinpost91850

Great looking job. 8) Would highly recommend BradPoint or Forstner drill bits for your next project. Very little chance of lifting and chipping the finish with either