Positive Grid BIAS Amp Designer (IOS)

Started by BackDAWman, November 14, 2013, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

FWIW, I did not get great results running BIAS through headphones either.  I don't have the highest quality headphones though.  Maybe Santa will bring me some this year.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Ringleader

I agree that the audio interface makes a huge difference with bias. But not just input, also output. I have an apogee jam and yes it sounds great as an input but you are forced to use the stock headphone output on the ipad. I recently picked up an Apogee one and now I can really hear the difference in the output.

Also look at the small roland duo capture as an option. Haven't heard it but almost got it before going with the apogee. It's cheap and has ins and outs so it should be a great option.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UA11MK2?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=t&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CJSH7PD8oLsCFeFFMgodMGYAGw

supernicd

Did not realize that there was some sound quality to be gained by not using the iPad's headphone out.  It seems pretty good, though I always worry about the durability of 1/8" connection esp. if you start using for live use.

I've been eyeing the Roland Duo Capture EX.  A little more than the Duo Caputre mk II, but not too much more than an iRig Pro.  Thing I like about this is that it would give MIDI out in addition to in, as well as 1/4" outputs.  Downside is that it seems to need to be powered.  Though it is capable of running on batteries, I wonder how long a set lasts.

I've been using the Alesis io Dock up until now, and having it charge the iPad will really be missed.  But the 16-bit is going to be a deal breaker for BIAS.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Ringleader

I didn't know any difference using the ipad headphone out, until I heard the Apogee output on the one. Now I can hear it! The Apogee is more open and clear and it really makes the soft amp experience much more enjoyable, more than I thought it would.

All of my midi devices are midi over USB because I prefer to have each item show up individually in MidiBridge for filters, and because then all you typically need is 1 powered USB hub to power everything. Something to consider anyways.

Based on the power specs on Roland's site, the duo capture shoud require a powered hub but there are reports online that state that no additional power is required when in the tablet mode. I can't confirm, but if this is the case, the duo capture should be a hot seller at that price.

bbob

Quote from: SuperNiCd on December 08, 2013, 08:53:45 AM
Though it is capable of running on batteries, I wonder how long a set lasts.

I have the Roland Duo Capture EX and IME the batteries only last a few hours.  I switched to rechargeable batteries.  ;D

Bob

supernicd

Quote from: bbob on December 08, 2013, 12:04:05 PM
I have the Roland Duo Capture EX and IME the batteries only last a few hours.  I switched to rechargeable batteries.  ;D

Bob
Thanks for the info! Can I assume that means it needs power, even in tablet mode, even with phantom power off?  How do you like it?
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

chaztrip

So stumbled across this message board doing a search for Bias and Jamup.  All I can say is that I have bought all the products and I am in LOVE!!!! I am running this through the Peavey Ampkit HD and I am getting great results!!!!!!!!  I have been messing around with all the amp sims and have wasted a lot of money on some products but I am in Love with Positive Grid!!!  So much that I might have to get a iPad Air to top it all off....   

Anyway I am glad that I found this forum as you seem to be a nice and knowledgeable bunch of folks here. 

Cheers
Chaz 

Elantric

(honest  - I didn't pay him to say that! ;)

Welcome to VGuitarforums Chaztrip!

whippinpost91850

Chaz, Glad to have you hear .I think you'll be able to find all you answers here and yes the cast of characters here are very knowledgeble and nice

chaztrip

Does anyone know when Positive Grid will make the tone sharing available for Bias?  They said coming soon but well you know I have addictive tendencies and want it now. :-)

bbob

Quote from: SuperNiCd on December 08, 2013, 12:45:09 PM
Thanks for the info! Can I assume that means it needs power, even in tablet mode, even with phantom power off?  How do you like it?

Yes, still needs power with phantom power off.  The Roland Duo Capture does not come with a power supply but shares the same one as the VG-99 if you have one.  I am a pretty low level user and don't use high gain tones, and other users might be more discerning than my 64 year old ears but running thru the CCK to an iPad 2 to a Shertler Jam 150 amp using apps such as Garageband, Amplitude, Jam Up it sounds pretty good.  According to the manual the Duo Capture is 24 bit.   In addition to audio I have used the Duo Capture midi from a Roland FC-300 thru the Duo Capture to Loopy HD.  Loopy HD automatically recognizes the Duo Capture.

I don't have one but the iRig Pro looks pretty good also.

Bob

whippinpost91850

whippinpost91850

I got to spend some time yesterday with Bias plugged into my CLR. It made a huge difference in the sound compared to my AKG headphones. I was pretty impressed with the tones and they react to both pick and volume control. The on thing I did notice on the clean sounds was an apparent sharp plunky kind of tone on the initial attack. I made sure nothing was overdriving anywhere. This is something I don't get with my Kemper at all.
I don't think I would dump my Kemper , but I am impressed with Bias and Jamup pro and will keep working on this. I haven't tried setting up MIDI switching yet, but that would be the next thing.

iRig pro - iPad 2 - Bias - Jamup Pro

Paul

mbenigni

QuoteI don't think I would dump my Kemper

I agree.  Bias is impressive, but it didn't win me over vs. the Kemper.  Not yet anyway.  However, I'm still using a 16-bit interface for Bias, so I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Either way, the integration with Jam Up isn't quite as seamless as I'd prefer it.  Especially since none of the amps have reverb modeled in Bias, it's challenging that all the Jam Up effects get dropped as soon as you dive back into Bias to tweak with the amp proper.

chaztrip

Quote from: mbenigni on December 09, 2013, 09:28:29 AM

I agree.  Bias is impressive, but it didn't win me over vs. the Kemper.  Not yet anyway.  However, I'm still using a 16-bit interface for Bias, so I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Either way, the integration with Jam Up isn't quite as seamless as I'd prefer it.  Especially since none of the amps have reverb modeled in Bias, it's challenging that all the Jam Up effects get dropped as soon as you dive back into Bias to tweak with the amp proper.

I have found the same issue...  working with a nice effects signal chain then I want to go back and tweak the amp a bit but would be nice to still hear the effects chain.  There have been times where I think yes this is it and port it back to JamUp and uggggg.    But then again its new and its fun.  I am sure this will keep getting better and better. 

Elantric

Agreed - I hope Positive Grid may offer better FX integration inside Bias. After you are in Jamup Pro , Editing a Bias  Amp model does prove to be a bit clunky at this hour.

I would pay for a new version of JamUpXT Pro that contained all the new features of the Bias Amps fully integrated.

Regarding comparing gear, as I grow older I tend to go with gear that works reliably and I can navigate swiftly and delivers what I need in the FX department with minimal setup / teardown time - (even if its not the best sounding gear I own.)  I would not place the Kemper in the  "Easy gig Integration" category, for reasons mentioned before. But I do see a place for micstand mounted ipad running Bias/Jamup Pro XT at many of my future gigs.

The big complaint with Kemper is the 40 seconds reboot should an AC power drop out occur. Its like trying to use a Commodore 64 based sampler that must reboot from the 1541 floppy drive at a gig.

Also I tend to use more straight up guitar tones at live gigs, I'm not they guy who needs 80% DSP Alt Tuning  or lots of Synth Tones.

But if it only adds 30 seconds pre-gig setup time for me to integrate an iPad with Tripleplay into my rig, I will use that.

For travel gigs - there is huge attraction for using an all iPad based mobile rig, particularly since I now have a fully loaded Auria DAW  + a Lighting to USB adapter+ powered hub+ 1818VSL, allows me to make live 8 track recording demos of the band on the road. And using Bias+ Jamup pro today is close enough for my needs, but might not be adequate for others.     

mbenigni

QuoteRegarding comparing gear, as I grow older I tend to go with gear that works reliably and I can navigate swiftly and delivers what I need in the FX department with minimal setup / teardown time. I would not place the Kemper in this category, for reasons mentioned before.

Yeah, I don't gig any more, but if I did I'm sure I'd lose patience with the Kemper quickly.  It's more at home in a recording studio - and especially as the centerpiece of a home recording studio - IMO.  If I were performing regularly with a band and needed a wide variety of tones, I'd probably be running an HD500 with an iPad in the loop for synths.  I think it would be hard to beat that combo for price, practicality, and tone.

QuoteThe big complaint is the 40 seconds reboot should an AC power drop out occur. Its like trying to use a Commodore 64 based sampler that must reboot from the 1541 floppy drive at a gig     

Ha - funny stuff, but true.  And 40 seconds if you're lucky/ disciplined about your profile collection.

mbenigni

QuoteI am sure this will keep getting better and better.

No doubt.  That's the nice thing about software, and Positive Grid do seem like a very talented group of developers.

Derek Buddemeyer

Have you guys tried using anything like this?
Auria:
Bias-noise gate engaged, bypass cabinet
Convolution Reverb-loaded with RedWirez cabinet IR's
Stereo Delay

Very realistic reproductions.
This way you don't lose the tone of your amp (I.e. When you import your amp into the signal chain of Jamup) and you get the realism of the RedWirez cabinets which greatly enhance your sound.

Also works with Overloud THM (available as a IAP in Auria)

Elantric

Thanks for the tip

I will try

However last time I had Auria running, then tried to launch Bias as an FX inside Auria - Auria crashed.

Derek Buddemeyer

Quote from: Elantric on December 09, 2013, 10:16:05 AM
Thanks for the tip

I will try

However last time I had Auria running, then tried to launch Bias as an FX inside Auria - Auria crashed.

Bias is a huge CPU hog....paired with Auria and the convolution reverb....make sure everything else is shut down and in airplane mode...but you knew that already ;)

Elantric

QuoteIn airplane mode

Right - I need to try Airplane mode to free up additional resources - thanks!

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on December 09, 2013, 09:28:29 AM

Yeah, I was a little surprised by the integration factor.  Also while trying to edit a preset, I lost the stomp in JamUp Pro XT. I couldn't find the icon anywhere to reload it. ???

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on December 09, 2013, 10:05:44 AM
Yeah, I don't gig any more, but if I did I'm sure I'd lose patience with the Kemper quickly.  It's more at home in a recording studio - and especially as the centerpiece of a home recording studio - IMO.  If I were performing regularly with a band and needed a wide variety of tones, I'd probably be running an HD500 with an iPad in the loop for synths.  I think it would be hard to beat that combo for price, practicality, and tone.

I wish I only recorded at home, it would probably make my life alot simpler, instead of dealing with a group of musicians at my age (63)

Ha - funny stuff, but true.  And 40 seconds if you're lucky/ disciplined about your profile collection.

I've been gigging, a couple of times a month plus,for a couple of years with my Kemper and honestly have been lucky enough to not have to reboot at a gig. Though for the last couple of months I've been using a UPC battery backup. I keep my profiles down to about 125

whippinpost91850

Thanks for this tip, I'll give this a try.