Positive Grid BIAS Amp Designer (IOS)

Started by BackDAWman, November 14, 2013, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BackDAWman

I did a search on the forum but came up with ziltch therefore:

Has anyone tried Positive Grid's Bias? These are the guys who came up with Jamup Pro XT. In my opinion the best amp/fx simulator on iOS.

I have bought it but haven't tried it yet. It looks great in the promos.

I look forward to the valued opinions of the members here .

Elantric

I took delivery of an Ipad Air 128GB 3G today - it flies thru tasks  that stall and halt my old ipad2 cold.

Been playing my bigsby JTV-59 into Sonuus I2M + Apple Lighting USB  Camera adapter as audio interface and Skullcandy Titan II travel buds for headphones with the iPad Air

Positive Grid Bias is really amazing -  I dare to say its a spectacular time to be a guitarist. Bias has very good Clarity, The Amps sound and react very close to the real thing, best Tube Amp tone toolbox on IOS today (Nov 2013) with many controls to satisfy those who crave getting inside, its all emulations of circuits and a  Great amp in the room simulator. I was obtaining great tone in seconds  reminiscent of Ritchie Blackmore playing opening to 'Lazy' off the  Deep Purple Machine Head record. sounds great to my ears  Worth the $19.99, and marries into JamUp Pro XT very well. Very Happy.

review with crucial MIDi setup info for using IK BlueuBoard with JamUp Pro
http://www.musicappblog.com/irig-blueboard-review/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bias-amps!/id711314889?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamup-pro-xt-multi-effects/id454702113?mt=8

supernicd

Good to hear you confirm that this app is a winner, Elantric.

I am super excited about this one.  From all the demos I've watched it sounds just amazing, and the level of tone control looks unprecedented. So I guess this app might be the one to push me off the cliff and either upgrade my ipad 3 to iOS 7 or really bite the bullet and get the ipad air.

Some cool demos.

Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

whippinpost91850

Elantric thanks for the revue, Glad to hear , just waiting to get my IPAD air soon

Elantric

Specifications

Features

The most complete, accurate, and versatile amp modeling available in the world
36 amp models included with the introductory release
Factory categories organize amps by music genre and sonic impact: clean, blues, twang, crunch, metal, acoustic and bass
Fully customizable preamps, tone stacks, power amps, transformers, cabinets and mic selection and placement—mix and match!
Customize the look and feel of your own amp panel, change name, tolex, panel and knobs.
Works the way guitarists think: tweak gain and overdrive, swap out tubes and transformers, change the cabinet and mic position, and shape the tone with different tone stacks and two 8-band equalizers
Included noise gate and room simulator
Create a virtually unlimited number of custom amps
Quick preset to recall each of your 8 favorite settings in turn with just one tap
Seamless integration with JamUp XT and JamUp Pro XT, open and save your amp models inside JamUp with one tap
Works with GarageBand and other audio apps via Inter-App Audio and Audiobus.
Supported iOS Interface

BIAS supports all major iOS audio interface:

JamUp Plug
JamUp Plug HD
Apogee JAM
Alesis iO Dock
Guitar Jack 2
Griffin StudioConnect
Griffin GuitarConnect Cable
Griffin GuitarConnect Pro
Line 6 Mobile In
Line 6 Sonic Port
IK Multimedia iRig
IK Multimedia iRig HD
Peavey AmpKit Link
Peavey AmpKit Link HD
PocketLabWorks iRiffPort
TASCAM iXZ
TASCAM iU2
Focusrite iTrack Solo
Roland Duo Capture EX
System Requirements

iPad 2 and newer, including iPad mini
iOS version: iOS 7

More good reviews for Positive Grid's BIAS

http://www.ipadcreative.com/

Bill Ruppert

That look so cool!
I wish I had a Pad.

supernicd

It does look extremely cool.  Of course the very small part of my brain that tries to keep the much larger G.A.S.-infected portion of my brain in check wonders whether or not it can achieve any tones that I can't get with my current gear.  E.g. The GR-55 may not let you switch out the tubes or adjust the bias on its amp models but it does have a lot of parameters, distortion pedal effects too many to count, etc. and I have to wonder if one couldn't dial in nearly enough any tone that you could dial in with BIAS just using a different paradigm using Roland, Line 6, fill in the blank with your favorite sufficiently complex modeling software.

In the end I'm sure my curiosity will win out and I'll get this - if you already have an ipad its quite inexpensive as far as amp modeling software goes.

VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

whippinpost91850

This does seem very powerful for aan IPad app

BackDAWman

I have been so impressed with Jamup Pro XT that I bought this as soon as I received the promo in my email.

The GR55 has some great usable sounds but I still pine for the REAL sound of a tube amp. I much prefer the models on Jamup and even the models on my old Behringer Vampire feel better than those on the GR55, especially the dirty tones. I stick with the GR55 purely for the flexibility, alt. tuning and the access to synths.

Elantric

I get all the tube amp tones and playing response I need using Positive Grid Bias. I've been so impressed with Positive Grid BIAS Amps that i'm questioning the point of owning my Kemper. Positive Grid BIAS is a serious app for all Tube amp Tone Purists. 

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id711314889?mt=8&&referrer=click%3Dbb041408-4cf4-4e4f-a620-711e171201d4

Description
BIAS is an Amp Designer, Modeler and Processor for iPad. It's warm, accurate and more versatile than any other modeler, processor in hardware or software ever created.

BIAS starts with stunning replications of 36 of the most sought-after vintage and modern amps in rock 'n' roll history and then lets you customize them to respond perfectly to your unique touch and feel. Swap out the tubes, preamp, transformer, tone stacks, cab and mic—even change the tube's bias—to create your dream amp and distinctive signature sound. Tap once to open your BIAS amp in JamUp and add awesome multi-effects.

Close your eyes, and you'll swear you're hearing the real thing. With BIAS, you own a complete virtual collection of the most coveted and unique guitar amps of all time—some dating as far back as the 1940s. Every amp model is meticulously engineered to respond to your playing with immediacy, sensitivity and realism that make you not only sound better but also play better. And BIAS sounds great on bass guitar, too.

But BIAS doesn't stop there. Create totally new sounds by designing your custom dream amp. It's as easy as tap and drag. Using BIAS' highly intuitive and lightning-fast interface, it's child's play to instantly swap out colorful tube preamps, lush distortion circuits, classic tone stacks, boutique power stages, custom-built transformers and cabs loaded with specially matched speakers. The result is a depth and range of tones not possible using traditional guitar amps or other modelers. Whether you're a classic rocker, metalhead, jazz player, bluesman or singer-songwriter—and whether you understand how amplifier electronics work or not—you'll be dialing in killer, exclusive tones in a heartbeat.

BIAS integrates seamlessly with Positive Grid's free JamUp XT and optional JamUp Pro XT guitar multi-effects apps for iPad, expanding BIAS into a powerful and completely unified professional guitar system for live use, recording and jamming. Simply tap the JamUp icon on BIAS' upper bar to open your current BIAS amp setup directly in either JamUp XT or JamUp Pro XT. JamUp XT adds 1 amp and 6 effects to your BIAS rigs. JamUp Pro XT adds fully 6 amps and 16 stomp-box and premium rack effects - including distortion, compression, tape delay, tremolo and spring reverb. Both JamUp XT and JamUp Pro XT include Jam player, 8-track recorder and phrase sampler, tuner and metronome, effectively turning BIAS into a recording studio and top-of-the-line practice utility.

BIAS works with GarageBand and other audio apps using iOS 7's Inter-App Audio and Audiobus. Whether recording, songwriting, or honing your chops—at home or on the road—BIAS places unequaled tone at your fingertips.

FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS
• The most complete, accurate, and versatile amp modeling available in the world
• 36 amp models included with the introductory release
• Factory categories organize amps by music genre and sonic impact: clean, blues, twang, crunch, metal, acoustic and bass
• Fully customizable preamps, tone stacks, power amps, transformers, cabinets and mic selection and placement—mix and match!
• Customize the look and feel of your own amp panel, change name, tolex, panel and knobs.
• Works the way guitarists think: tweak gain and overdrive, swap out tubes and transformers, change the cabinet and mic position, and shape the tone with different tone stacks and two 8-band equalizers
• Included noise gate and room simulator
• Create a virtually unlimited number of custom amps
• Quick preset to recall each of your 8 favorite settings in turn with just one tap
• Seamless integration with JamUp XT and JamUp Pro XT, open and save your amp models inside JamUp with one tap
• Works with GarageBand and other audio apps via Inter-App Audio and Audiobus.
• Designed for iOS 7, requires iPad 2 or newer

www.positivegrid.com
Twitter: @PositiveGrid
Facebook.com/positivegrid

Bill Ruppert

Elantric
If it were me, I would get the sounds I like with the grid and profile them with the Kemper. Done
Then you go from there, as the Kemper always gives the profile tons of control and a gain structure that is 90% of the time better than the original.
I wish I could borrow an iPad...

supernicd

Personally I'm hoping this will help me with Kemper avoidance and the hole it would create in my wallet. :)

Another cool video from Derek Buddemeyer, creating a custom amp and Jamup integration.

VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

QuotePersonally I'm hoping this will help me with Kemper avoidance and the hole it would create in my wallet. :)

I own a Kemper, and this app still has me jonesing for a new iPad.  I completely geek out over simulations that let the user swap tubes, change bias and sag, etc.  Amazing I never ponied up for an AxeFX, but I was pretty addicted to Guitar Rig for a while.

whippinpost91850

"I get all the tube amp tones and playing response I need using Positive Grid Bias. I've been so impressed with Positive Grid BIAS Amps that i'm questioning the point of owning my Kemper. Positive Grid BIAS is a serious app for all Tube amp Tone Purists. " Elantric

Very powerful words. I love my Kemper, but will definitly give this a try. I don't wanna jump to sell my KPA, I tried a lot of things over the years and so far, the KPA is the only thing I've found satisfying. But definetly want to give BIAS a try, as I trust your judgement Paul

Ps: I just got a Pod XT live to contoll my Jtv89 and was surprised (even with some tweaking) just how mediocre it sounds and will only be using it to swicth JTV models???

mbenigni

QuoteVery powerful words. I love my Kemper, but will definitly give this a try. I don't wanna jump to sell my KPA, I tried a lot of things over the years and so far, the KPA is the only thing I've found satisfying. But definetly want to give BIAS a try, as I trust your judgement Paul

One thing to consider - even if Positive Grid's software algorithms are as good as, or better than, the Kemper's - is how good the Kemper is from an analog perspective, e.g. the quality of the guitar input, the FX loop, and all of the outputs, to make no mention of the MIDI I/O and expression pedal features.  You'll need some very nice accessories to make your iPad rig stack up, whatever app you're running.

But I still want Positive Grid.  :)

QuotePs: I just got a Pod XT live to contoll my Jtv89 and was surprised (even with some tweaking) just how mediocre it sounds and will only be using it to swicth JTV models???

Consider an upgrade to the POD HD line - the difference is night and day.  I personally thought that entire era of Line 6 product (Vetta/ xt) was pretty harsh sounding.  (And I still own a Vetta II, so I've spent my share of time trying to like it.)

Elantric

Actually an Old XTLive makes an excellent MIDI Foot controller for an ipad guitar rig using iRig Pro+Positive Grid BIAS+Jamup Pro XT

Just connect the iRig Pro 5pin MIDI IN cable to XTLive 5 pin MIDi Out.

Review the XTLive MIDI CC# list here:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593546810e/application/pdf/MIDI%20Continuous%20Controller%20Reference%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20F%20).pdf   

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on November 20, 2013, 11:13:08 AM
One thing to consider - even if Positive Grid's software algorithms are as good as, or better than, the Kemper's - is how good the Kemper is from an analog perspective, e.g. the quality of the guitar input, the FX loop, and all of the outputs, to make no mention of the MIDI I/O and expression pedal features.  You'll need some very nice accessories to make your iPad rig stack up, whatever app you're running.

But I still want Positive Grid.  :)
Agree, at this point wouldn't think of selling my Kemper

Consider an upgrade to the POD HD line - the difference is night and day.  I personally thought that entire era of Line 6 product (Vetta/ xt) was pretty harsh sounding.  (And I still own a Vetta II, so I've spent my share of time trying to like it.)
I got the Pod XTlive as an inexpensive alternative($99 shipped) to only switch models on my JTV89. I'm gonna try and cut it doen to a light weight package just for that purpose. I was still surprised at how it sounded.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Elantric on November 20, 2013, 11:20:05 AM
Actually an Old XTLive makes an excellent MIDI Foot controller for an ipad guitar rig using iRig Pro+Positive Grid BIAS+Jamup Pro XT

Just connect the iRig Pro 5pin MIDI IN cable to XTLive 5 pin MIDi Out.

Review the XTLive MIDI CC# list here:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593546810e/application/pdf/MIDI%20Continuous%20Controller%20Reference%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20F%20).pdf
Thanks have not had a chance to read up much on the Xt as a controller. If it act like my Fcb1010 that would be awesome

Elantric

QuoteOne thing to consider - even if Positive Grid's software algorithms are as good as, or better than, the Kemper's - is how good the Kemper is from an analog perspective, e.g. the quality of the guitar input, the FX loop, and all of the outputs, to make no mention of the MIDI I/O and expression pedal features.  You'll need some very nice accessories to make your iPad rig stack up, whatever app you're running.

Myself, regarding the Kemper -  I still have not connected well with its lack of assignable remote control for the Kemper FX, and the rear FX Loop is more of a kludge / compromise IMHO. So I'm in the camp of those who feel let down that after 2 years - these issue remain with my Kemper:

* Kemper still lacks an official foot controller. The KPA UNO FCB-1010 is not ideal since its not expandable and can not control other gear in a system.
* The patch organization remains a kludge IMHO , and mentioning on the KPA forum that you want an official Win/Mac based KPA patch editor / organizer will make you a target of derision with the  response "Real men do not need an Editor  / Organizer"

* Even with latest firmware, many of my KPA controls remain "non functional"   - while we await yet another firmware update. Perhaps in 2014 there will be 100% working controls, but i fear that will occur the same day they announce the "new Kemper II with more DSP horsepower"       

Elantric

BTW - I now own

2011 Ipad2 64GB

2012 Ipad Mini 32GB

2013 iPad Air 128GB

I have upgraded all to latest IOS 7, and Positive Grid BIAS runs on any of the above iPads. True it works best on the Ipad  Air, but the main thing you need is IOS7. I would avoid using a 1st gen Ipad.

supernicd

I've been fawning over the KPA and the AxeFX II for quite a while now, but ultimately haven't pulled the trigger.  The decision to get the new iPad is a lot easier for me to justify since it does all sorts of other music related stuff (DAWs, synths, sequencers, FX), and not to mention it does all sorts of other non-music things like email, web surfing, etc.  And its half the cost of either of those, leaving plenty of room  for any needed accessories.

I have to say though, I'm having some trouble getting pleasing tones out of Bias.  Mostly they all sound kind of thin and lacking punch to me.  Based on the ravings its getting and from what I'm seeing and hearing in the videos I figure it must be something in my signal chain.

I've tried guitar-->apogee jam-->lighting-30pin adapter-->CCK-->headphones
and... same as above but iPad headphone out into the aux in on a Fender Mustang IV.

Maybe the Apogee Jam is the issue.  I know these are quality interfaces and I don't remember having any issues with it before.  But I haven't used it for a while.  Perhaps something's gone wrong with it.

Guess I'll try some other configurations tonight.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteI have to say though, I'm having some trouble getting pleasing tones out of Bias.  Mostly they all sound kind of thin and lacking punch to me.  Based on the ravings its getting and from what I'm seeing and hearing in the videos I figure it must be something in my signal chain.

I'm using Sony MDR-7506 Headphones connected to Ipad Headphone out,

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E

or have Ipad Headphone out > Rolls DB-24> into a pair of EV ELX112P or Behringer B212A powered cabs.

http://www.amazon.com/ROLLS-DB24-Stereo-Direct-Interface/dp/B001032GK8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1384979462&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Rolls+DB-24

With my Guitar on "10"  - most ipad audio interfaces sound about the same with Positive Grid BIAS.
Where I do hear differences in ipad Audio Interfaces and 16bit vs 24 bit  is when I back the Guitar volume down in the "2" to "7"range  - this is where I hear that my 24bit iRig Pro has lower noise / no sputtering. (the Apogee Jam should be comparable - but Ive never actually tried one). The Sonuus I2M sounds good too, but a bit more noise (since its only 16bit), and the Behringer IS-202 has even more hiss and noise - indicating the ipad "sees" the IS-202 audio interface as 16 bit only.

mbenigni

Quote* Kemper still lacks an official foot controller. The KPA UNO FCB-1010 is not ideal since its not expandable and can not control other gear in a system.
* The patch organization remains a kludge IMHO , and mentioning on the KPA forum that you want an official Win/Mac based KPA patch editor / organizer will make you a target of derision with the  response "Real men do not need an Editor  / Organizer"

I agree, these are huge oversights and valid complaints.  I know that I'm not using my KPA to its full potential simply because I find it a little too tedious to download profiles, sweat the naming issues, get them on a thumb drive, etc. etc. etc.  I wish Kemper had adopted a more sensible set of naming conventions from the get-go (legal departments be damned!) and allowed for the ability to audition profiles over a USB cable or something.  I'm basically coasting along on Maurizio's backup - his work has been a big help - but who knows what I'm missing from the profile exchange.

Mainly I dig the Kemper for reasons I hadn't even considered when I bought it - it's a really solid piece of hardware that acts as an excellent mixer/ central hub in a studio environment.  And yeah, I have a few go-to profiles that sound great.

supernicd

I have a few other interface options, as well as a few other possible output destinations, though none of the gear you're using.  It's kind of difficult to describe what I'm hearing.  The tones basically sound right, just slightly more anemic than what I would have expected.  Not drastic, but enough that I'd prefer using one of the various other modelers I have in my arsenal.  So I'll try some more experiments (hopefully I get some guitar time later today) and report back, maybe with some better results.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteI have a few other interface options, as well as a few other possible output destinations, though none of the gear you're using.  It's kind of difficult to describe what I'm hearing.  The tones basically sound right, just slightly more anemic than what I would have expected.  Not drastic, but enough that I'd prefer using one of the various other modelers I have in my arsenal.  So I'll try some more experiments (hopefully I get some guitar time later today) and report back, maybe with some better results.

Which all boils down to the importance of using gear that suits YOUR needs, and not relying 100% on third party recommendations.