iConnectivity iConnectMIDI 4+

Started by mdortona, July 19, 2013, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdortona

Hi!

Does anyone if the new IconnectMidi2+/4+ devices function the same way as the old versions (i.e. plug the FTP dongle into the Iconnect USB port and 5 pin midi out(s) to one's hardware synths), as Elantric has documented in his prior posts? Thanks!

Matt

Elantric

As far as I can tell,  looking at the specs of the new iConnectMIDI boxes - the only one worth buying is the iConnectMIDi4+, as its the only one with a USB Type A socket for USB Host function.
(see far left USB Host Port socket - this is where the Fishman TriplePlay Receiver will plug in)

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI4plus

The IconnectMidi2+ is very stripped down (even less functionality than the old original black iConnectMIDI IMHO) and zero interest for my needs.

Elantric

Bummer the iConnectivity 4+ is now pushed out to Fall 2013
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnMIDI4p/
QuoteiConnectivity's innovative new iConnectMIDI4+ networkable MIDI interface with Audio Pass-through is expected to be available beginning in Fall 2013. Simply contact Sweetwater with your pre-order, and we'll reserve one for you from our earliest upcoming shipment.

mdortona

admin

Counting the days (weeks) until  iConnectMIDI4plus is released!

tracy

Will that USB connection host a USB hub?
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

Elantric

Don't see why not - the older black iConnectMIDI does.

But only USB MIDi devices are supported

Spider

iConnectMIDI4+
Features:
• 4 In &  4 Out  pairs of MIDI DIN Connectivity
• Connect 8 additional MIDI devices via USB Host Port + Powered USB Hub
• Over 64 user configurable ports of 16 Channels of MIDI per port
• Audio Pass  Through Between Up to 3 Computing Devices
• Multi Host Capability Connect 3 Computing Devices Directly & More via Network
• Network Connectivity
• Integrated MIDI Manager With Snapshot Preset Storage For MIDI Thru, MIDI Merge,
Filtering, and Advanced Routing Control
• Supports MAC, PC, and iOS Computing Devices
• USB MIDI Class Compliant
• Plug and Play -- No Drivers Needed
• Charge iOS Device

tomtheguitarguy

Quote from: Spider on December 09, 2013, 08:58:58 AM
iConnectMIDI4+
Features:
• 4 In &  4 Out  pairs of MIDI DIN Connectivity
• Over 64 user configurable ports of 16 Channels of MIDI per port
• Audio Pass  Through Between Up to 3 Computing Devices
• Multi Host Capability Connect 3 Computing Devices Directly & More via Network
• Network Connectivity
• Integrated MIDI Manager With Snapshot Preset Storage For MIDI Thru, MIDI Merge,
Filtering, and Advanced Routing Control
• Supports MAC, PC, and iOS Computing Devices
• USB MIDI Class Compliant
• Plug and Play -- No Drivers Needed
• Charge iOS Device

And someday we might even be able to buy it . . .

http://www.tomtheguitarguy.com ~ http://www.tomcatsband.com
CIJ Blue Floral w/ McVay G Bender
G & L Will Ray Signature ASAT w/ Hipshot B Bender
JTV-69 James Tyler Variax
Fishman TriplePlay ~ Roland GR-55
Dr. Z RxES 2x12
Quilter MicroPro200 10" ~ Quilter Aviator 8" ~ Quilter Steelaire
Bose L1 Classic

tracy

Quote from: Spider on December 09, 2013, 08:58:58 AM

This is the concern. Not all of the USB Class compliant devices that I may want to use are necessarily pure MIDI devices (SoftStep for example). I wonder why it can not simply be a USB passthrough? If a guy with a Dremmel tool and hot glue can slap a USB hub into a $150 Alesis IO, why can't IConnect? Or why can't Apogee do likewise in their far pricier devices?

tracy

Quote from: Tracy on December 10, 2013, 08:08:00 PM
This is the concern. ...

But giving it further thought, the fact that it works with a hub could be a very good sign. A USB hub is by definition not a MIDI device. I hear that the Apogee Duet's MIDI USB port doesn't support a USB hub. If the 4+ does, then they are way ahead of the game (and less than 1/3 the cost of the Apogee.)

Placing pre-order now.

GuitarBuilder

Is there a good alternative to the iConnectivity boxes?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

QuoteIs there a good alternative to the iConnectivity boxes?

Raspberry Pi

QuoteNot all of the USB Class compliant devices that I may want to use are necessarily pure MIDI devices (SoftStep for example).

Actually the KMI Softstep is a USB MIDI class complaint device, but draws excessive current and required a powered USB Hub when used with iPad.

Elantric

I'm rather surprised the IconnectMIDI 4+ is still not out yet - Spring 2014 is the expected release date.

GuitarBuilder

I've been trying to get my iConnectMIDI2+ to work with FTP, but to no avail.  I'm using a A-B USB adapter in Port 1 of the iConnect, Mac Mini in Port 2, and MIDI out at MIDI DIN 1.  I'm using the optional power adapter as well.

I've tried every conceivable routing in the iConfig utility, but FTP simply doesn't work with the iConnectMIDI2+ as far as I can tell.  I did notice the FTP red LED glows very dimly when initially plugged into Port 1, but then goes out.  Could it be that the port is simply not able to provide enough power?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Here's some additional info:

1)  Using a MIDI controller keyboard in DIN 1 and Mac Mini in Port 2 works fine will all DAWs and plugins
2)  Using a MIDI controller keyboard in DIN 1 and iPad in Port 1 works fine for all Synth apps
3)  Using a MIDI controller keyboard in DIN 1 and DIN 2 out to Roland JV880 works fine
4)  FTP works perfectly plugged into Mac Mini either straight or through USB hub

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rolandvg99

The iConnectMIDI2+ doesn't support MIDI host for external usb midi devices. The iConnectMIDI4+ is the only device that will allow this. Sorry.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Elantric

QuoteI've been trying to get my iConnectMIDI2+ to work with FTP, but to no avail.

Never going to work - you need either an original iConnectMIDI or iConnect MIDi 4+ as those have the required USB host port for Fishman Tripleplay

A video with some comparison of iConnectMIDI Devices

tracy

iConnectMIDI 4 news from NAMM. Shipping "very soon"

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/01/25/namm-2014-iconnectivity-4-in-production-audio-model-soon/

Check out the video from Sonic State to see an impressive demo and rundown of features. Near the end he talks about shipping "very soon." And at the very end is a showing of the upcoming iConnect Audio.

GuitarBuilder

I wonder if the lack of availability of iConnectMIDI4+ is due to the fact that the iConnectAudio4+ may be a better alternative overall?

Elantric

QuoteI wonder if the lack of availability of iConnectMIDI4+ is due to the fact that the iConnectAudio4+ may be a better alternative overall?

They are Apples and Oranges as each serve separate functions.

admin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8277.msg78196#msg78196
QuoteI know my iConnectMIDI2+ won't work on any USB 3.0 ports

Ah Ha! That probably explains why the iConnectMIDI 4+ has never shipped yet - they are probably trying to tame the noise and work on compatibility for the iConnectMIDI 4+  USB 3.0 Driver

Spider

On Mac or IBM PC computers? As I know some audio hardware works with USB 3.0 on mac but not on PC.

GovernorSilver

Preliminary review of the new iConnectMIDI4+:

http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/iconnectmidi4_preliminary_review_part_1/

iConnectMIDI4+ Preliminary Review - part 1

Introduction

It's finally arrived! It exists! It's here!

The long-awaited and anticipated iConnectMIDI4+ is not a myth as some have speculated. It really does exist and is now ready for order from various mainstream retailers.

As some of you who follow the blog here or our Youtube channel know, I have owned an iConnectMIDI2+ since they first came out and I have been delighted with the device as a means of connecting an iPad to a Mac or PC with bidirectional digital pass through audio and bidirectional MIDI, as well as DIN control of external MIDI devices. I have been eagerly waiting for the iConnectMIDI4+ and now that I've had a chance to play with one for this review let me tell you I am very very excited by this gear!

I like many of you have been looking forward to the iConnectMIDI4+ for a number of specific reasons also: the increased number of DIN ports, multi-iPad support, USB hub MIDI controller hosting and Ethernet connectivity, but let's take a look at the specs for a moment to get a side-by-side comparsion:
iConnectMIDI2+   iConnectMIDI4+
1 PC/Mac USB port
1 iPad USB port that will charge an iPad with the additional PSU
2 X in/out DIN MIDI   1 PC/Mac USB port
2 iPad USB ports, both of which will charge an iPad with the supplied PSU
4 x in/out DIN MIDI ports
1 USB hub host port for class compliant peripheral / controller connection for up to 8 USB controllers
1 Ethernet port for RTP MIDI connectivity providing 4 virtual RTP ports

Oh the connectivity possibilities!

As a result of the increased connection options, the iConnectMIID4+ opens up a wide arena in terms of inter-device routing possibilities.

For example:

You can use the device with just a PC or Mac and a powered USB hub as a centralizing multiplexing control for external DIN MIDI peripherals from your DAW. For example: if you have, say, 4 or 5 MIDI keyboards / synths / drum kits / pad controllers, along with 3 or 4 DIN connected MIDI synthesizers, drum machines, etc. you can use the iConnectMIDI4+ to connect them all together. But that's not all! Owing to the powerful routing options inside the revamped and extended (and still free) iConfig application, you can also connect peripherals without the need for a PC or Mac at all to host them; the iConnectMIDI4+ along with a powered hub can do that for you, and, you can set up hardwired port routings for your peripherals. In a live situation where you simply need control of various synthesizers from a number of different peripherals, this makes the iConnectMIDI4+ ideal!

But there's more here with the iConnectMIDI4+ than with the 2+ in terms of iPad connectivity too. Whereas with the iConnectMIDI2+, even though you can also set up the hard routing inside the device for MIDI control to / from the iPad and DIN ports, you really need an externally connected PC or Mac to host your MIDI controllers. That's no longer the case with the iConnectMIDI4+. Let's suppose also that you are beginning to use an iPad for doing your sequencing, say using Genome or some other excellent iPad MIDI sequencing application and you don't want to haul a laptop to a live gig. Now you can do that using the iConnectMIDI4+ natively. I.e. in addition to the scenario I suggested above, you can also connect just an iPad to the iConnectMIDI4+ and bidirectionally sequence the MIDI from all the USB connected controllers as well as the DIN connected synths / drum machines etc. No PC required! And if you need to change the routing, you can do so using the (still) free iConfig iOS app.
An iPad 1 is more than capable of doing real-time MIDI control of multiple peripherals this way; now they are nearly being given away refurbished or 2nd hand in cereal boxes, why not pick one up for around $100 just to do your sequencing (assuming you have an app that you want to sequence with that will still run on iOS 5 - if not, pick up a refurb iPad 2 instead - which will run iOS 7 perfectly adequately to that task also).

Moving on - you can now of course connect not one but two iPads at the same time.

Each has access to bidirectional pass through audio and MIDI and both can talk to the connected devices. So, extending the scenario just posed - you could connect two iPads in a live situation, have one control half of your synths and USB controllers and the other control the other half. Or both have access to both. It's pretty amazing what this opens up in terms or possibilities! It doesn't stop there. Of course you can also connect a PC or Mac as well. Now you have incredibly easy multiway bidirectional digital pass through audio and MIDI routing options that have no parallel anywhere else in the current audio world in a single low-cost device like the iConnectMIDI4+ to the best of my knowledge.
Not only can you route from the PC/Mac to / from each iPad (or how about one iPad and one iPhone?...) you can also - sit down for this one - route digital pass through audio between the two iPads. Wow! Now, Audiobus 2 has just recently hit the streets and it is a fantastic piece of enabling technology that allows you to set up multiple audio chains between apps inside an iPad - if you aren't using it you should be! :-) However, with increased app routing you are going to begin to tax even very capable iPad Airs at some point, and if you have lower specification iPads, you can now use each one to their respective optimum potential by setting up an Audiobus chain inside each one to whatever each can handle and then chaining the audio out from one into the audio in to another via the iConnectMIDI4+ directly.
Wow!
Did I mention Wow! .... ?
;-)

Let me tell you - you want this if you have multiple iPads or an iPad and a capable iPhone! And this all works with lower spec iPad devices as well. If you have a newer iPad with a lightning connector, you should be able to use an Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter just fine - I did in my test of the device. However, check in with iConnectivity to see if they will begin to supply direct connect lightning cables at some point too.

The goodness doesn't stop there. Now, you also have the ability with the Ethernet port to connect to both wired and wireless tertiary devices. So, let's suppose you have a second Mac or PC as part of your rig and you want to control devices connected to that device from your "other" Mac / PC which is hosting your iConnectMIDI4+ . With the Mac, RTP MIDI is built in to MacOS MIDI routing and on a PC running Windows you can download RTP drivers to do exactly the same job. The iConnectMIDI4+ shows up via the Ethernet connection as 4 virtual RTP ports, and, again, via the Ethernet port routing settings in the iConfig application, you can route the bidirectional MIDI to / from any one of the other ports - or multiple ports simulatenously. So, for example, you can have a MIDI controller - say a keyboard - attached to the iConnectMIDI4+ route its MIDI out via one of the virtual RTP ports using the Ethernet connection, to a VST running in a Mac or Windows-hosted DAW on a separate Mac or PC. You can also of course multiply the possibilities endlessly - so you can route MIDI in / out from one or both of the connected iDevices to / from one or multiple RTP ports to one or multiple Macs or PCs... Up to four of them! Just keep expanding your thoughts here!!!
Not only that - you can also wirelessly connect further iPads into this setup also for MIDI I/O. To make connecting iPads easier, iConnectivity have supplied the (free) netMIDI app - which although it has been available and functional as a standalone app for a while now, comes into its own when used with the networked RTP routing from the iConnectMIDI4+. Each of the ports shows up in the application on the iPad and you can then connect to one simply by touching the screen - no need for messing around with any IP addresses.

Did I mention Wow yet? ;-)

Operating performance

I tested the iConnectMIDI4+ quite extensively with a variety of setups including many of those I've highlighted above (I didn't play any live gigs using it though ;-) ). One thing I was careful to test particularly was what the latency looked like. I tested two forms of latency in particular - one where I measured the time from MIDI trigger inside a DAW on a MIDI track to the returned audio wave from an iPad being registered in an audio channel in the DAW. Accounting for the inherent latency of the DAW and aggregate, my timings suggest that the iConnectMIDI is not adding on average more than a couple of milliseconds of latency - 3 tops. I also did a test using MIDI to RTP connection - back to MIDI via a network to test the RTP latency. Again - I found the same results - around 3ms. So, my take is that the iConnectMIDI4+ - like the 2+ - can be used as part of your audio and MIDI I/O setup without introducing any appreciable latency. This is very good news. (There had been other reports surrounding the 2+ on the web by third parties that had suggested the latency was huge (for a DAW setup anyway) but not only did I not find that with the 2+, I made a point of testing it with the 4+ and found the same thing - very low latency.) So, for me, no hesitation in using the iConnectMIDI4+ as part of my setup. Oh - and just to check out how well this all worked, I ran some tests with the iConnectMIDI4+ connected to a 1.8GHz Dual Core Macbook 2006 running Snow Leopard as well, running the latest Presonus Studio One Pro 2.6.2 as a DAW. Same results :-)

Summary
I highly recommend this device. (I highly recommend the iCM2+ as well! :-) ) It meets every expectation I had for it and more. I'm still exploring all the routing possibilities but it's already immediately useful in my rig and I expect it will only increase in usefulness as time goes by.

Next time...
OK. Keep watching the blog over the next couple of days for further review sections; I'll also send out notification updates on my Twitter feed (www.twitter.com/MusicInclusive) and Facebook page (www.facebook.com/MusicInclusiveLLC) with more details when a new review piece is posted.

Next time I'll pick this up with some more setup details.

Oh and check on the MusicInclusive Youtube channel and iConnectivity's own site over the next few weeks as well; I shall hopefully have some video tutorials prepared which will be available via the iConnectivity site shortly and which will go into each of the connection options in depth including live iConfig setup.

Keep on making music!

Derek Jones
- See more at: http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/iconnectmidi4_preliminary_review_part_1/#sthash.mB6idm5V.dpuf

Elantric

Just placed my order - but not holding my breath I will actually see this unit until May.