Survey of Working Audio Interfaces.

Started by Elantric, April 05, 2013, 09:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Brand & Model : IK MultiMedia iRig Stromp for IOS

Computer Type & OS: 2012 Apple iPad Mini 32GB / Apple IOS 6.1.3

Computer Connection method: 4 conductor iPad Headset Jack (analog - uses Ipad MINI's Internal Wolfson CODEC IC )

Driver version: Apple Core Audio IOS

DAW/VSTi/AU Instrument used:  IK MultiMedia Amplitube IOS (Version 2.9.6 FULL (13C28)

Comment: Updated Review  -
After further time using this unit, I will lower this from 5 stars,  down to 3 stars due to the constant low level background noise. Remove the noise gate in your IOS Amp Sim of choice, and you will experience a fair amount of hiss and noise, which rear their head anytime you attempt to hold a singing note using a high gain patch. Play note, count 1000, 2000, 3000, and the next thing you hear will be the sound of your Note dying out, and then replaced by the hiss level rising in volume and then the noise gate kicks in and stutters.

Elantric

Brand & Model : Line-6 Mobile In for IOS

Computer Type & OS: 2011 Apple iPad2 64GB+3G  / Apple IOS 6.1.3

Computer Connection method: Apple 30pin Dock Port

Driver version: Line6 and Apple Core Audio

DAW/VSTi/AU Instrument used: Line 6 Mobile POD (Version 1.2.4 (580), DSP Engine: v1.04.4

Comment: The benefits are it does have a Stereo analog Line Input, but for the most part I cant use nor recommend this Line6 IOS interface or the proprietary Mobile POD app due to the long latency with zero user controls to change this. Build quality is poor and the dock port contacts are cheap, it often self disconnects from the iPad if there is any vibration. Not Recommended.

Look for a replacement "Line6 SonicPort" with Apple Lightning compatibility soon
EDIT 2015: The Line6 SonicPort VX version is recommended

Rather bad reviews of real world users of Line6 Sonic Port here:
http://line6.com/support/topic/2430-sonic-port-problems/

and high latency
http://line6.com/support/topic/4224-sonic-port-and-ipad-air-ios-7-official-statement-please/

Elantric

Brand & Model :  Sonuus i2M musicport

Computer Type & OS: Apple iPad Mini 32GB, IOS 6.1.3

Computer Connection method: Apple Lightning USb Camera Adapter

Driver version: 1.31

http://sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp.html

The SONUUS i2M is a very misunderstood product. Its an ultra small unit with only one 1/4" Instrument Input, and one USB Output.

It also has a small momentary switch to change from Chromatic to Pitch Bend MIDI Mode - yes the i2M is compatible with either Guitar or Bass Instruments, works as a Core Audio Interface with OSX Macs, an ASIO Audio Interface on Windows PC's - which is unique in that the Sonuus ASIO Audio Driver is special and can co-exist with your other ASIO Audio Interfaces on Windows - But it also Combines all the features and functionality of the older ( and larger) Sonuus G2M and B2M. Its a real swiss army knife with far more functionality than first glance. Very low noise and low latency audio input on Ipad. it also works as a MIDI Input interface with an iPad or iPhone - need to test it with my Android Galaxy Note 2 and a USB OTG adapter.

Sonuus i2M + Apple USB Camera Adapter works very well with iPAd (Much Lower audio noise than any other Ipad Audio Interfaces that employ the IPad 4 conductor headset jack. So this small i2M device also gives you a good low latency IPad powered Guitar or Bass Audio Input Interface +  another monophonic Guitar to MIDI channel source to trigger soft syhtns (no polyphony / no chords)

$134 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sonuus-Products-i2M-Musicport-Converter/dp/B004B4S6HA

http://www.sonuus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=365
QuoteCompatibility with iPad MIDI / Audio
by james » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Apple have released their new iOS (4.2) for iPad, and we can confirm that the i2M musicport MIDI works with this. Using the free "MIDI Monitor" application, you can see that it works correctly. This should also work on the iPhone4, but we've not tested that yet.

To connect the i2M musicport to the iPad, you need the "USB Camera Connection Kit".

Audio input from the i2M musicport also works on the iPad, and has done since iOS 3.2.

Today I tested several Guitar Amp sims on iPad, and at this hour JamUp Pro wins by a long shot. It can get pricey with all the "in app" purchases for additional Amps,FX, 8 track recorder, Looper, Full assignable MIDI mapping. Now looking configuring a mobile rig with  iPad Mini, Sonuus i2M Guitar Interface, and KMI Sofstep to control all the functions in JamUp Pro           

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamup-pro-xt-amp-effects-processor/id454702113?mt=8

More here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7347.msg51178#msg51178

With my iPad Mini and enabling "Ultra Low Latency" mode (in JamUp Pro XT), and using my Sonuus I2M + Apple Lightning USB Camera Adapter, this is extremely fast, -as fast as using a standard Multi-FX unit, and very clean - first IOS Guitar Input adapter I can use that is clean enough i can disable the damn Noise gates and allow all my full dynamic range of my playing on every patch. 

Here is what I have tried for iPad Guitar Audio Interface
(Bad to Best)
* PRS passive "IOS GuitarBud Cable"   =  (junk!)
* Peavey AmpKit  = (total junk &*&%)
* IK Multimedia iRIG  = (consistent, but self oscillating feedback on high gain patches on any IOS Amp Sim)
* IK Multimedia iRIG Stomp  - (works OK for headphones, but way too much "hiss" for live performance when feeding self powered PA cabs.
* Line-6 Mobil In   =  (cleaner audio but way too much latency)
* Korg PX5D + Apple CCK = (works well, but must set a clean - no FX patch for best operation)
* Zoom G3 +Apple CCK   = (works well, but must set a clean - no FX patch for best operation)
* Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty = ( works well, but must set a clean - no FX patch for best operation, and its not very portable for hotel room, but perfect for using at small gigs )
* Alesis I|O Dock = works, but a bit large to carry all the time, no MIDI Sysex, and preamps could be better) 
* Alesis I|O 2 + Powered USB Hub+ Apple CCK - similar to I\O dock, but the Guitar Instrument setting clips and distorts too early.
* Sonuus i2M+ Apple CCK (Im in love with this unit! - perfect for "life on the road" - VERY SMALL and CLEAN, and LOW LATENCY)

It has me shouting "Eureka"  - the Sonuus i2M has VERY low Noise on All iPad audio apps. For my needs the Sonuus i2M is a better value than the Apogee Jam, as the i2M has equivalent or better audio performance, + its a great hardware monophonic Guitar to MIDI convertor too!

More here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7347.msg51178#msg51178

and of course the Audio output is supplied by the iPad Headphone Output.

Elantric

Brand & Model : Focusrite Scarlet 18i6
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i6

Computer Type & OS: 2012 Apple iPad Mini 32GB / Apple IOS 6.1.3

Computer Connection method: Apple Lightning USB Camera adapter

Driver version: Apple Core Audio IOS

DAW/VSTi/AU/IOS Instrument used:  Jam Up Pro XT, Meteor MultiTrack

Great clean audio interface  - Multiple Audio input channels seen in IOS, MIDI I/O Works too - No need for a powered USB HUB !

It lacks hardware buttons to configure the XLR / TRS Combo input jacks to Instrument inputs, and enable the input gain pad attenuator.

Hook it up to a PC/Mac and run the Focusrite MixControl app first - adjust and save your desired input jack configuration settings - then unplug and then re-connect to the iPad .
as a tidbit of important info - Read the Focusrite Scarlett owners manual  - the "trick" is you need a Mac or PC to run the Scarlet Mix Control app  first - define your I/O settings you wish to use with iPad then click "Save To Hardware" - this writes the Scarlett I/O configuration to an internal flash rom in the scarlett hardware  - then when you connect the Scarlett to your ipad - it will use the pre-defined I/O settings that you stored in the hardware.   

http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces

http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/9439/scarlett6i6-user-guideen.pdf

After my Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL fiasco - I was recently seeking yet another 8 channel Analog to ADAT convertor box - was looking at the new Behringer AD-8200  - but found a close out Scarlett 18i20 at Full Compass Audio for $360 - so I grabbed it and discovered I can use the  Scarlett 18i20 as a stand alone 8 channel analog to 8 channel optical ADAT interface - without a computer.

Click here for iPad Audio Interface feature comparison details
http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

The Scarlett 2i4 does not need any of that, as it has all the knobs, switches built in - no external config editor required - which makes it perfect for iPad, as its the only FocusRite box for $150 street price with 24bit audio I/O and 5pin DIN MIDI I/O that works with iPad
Read this thread for my latest iPad Guitar Interface(24bit I/O, full MIDI I/O, Battery powered for 6 hours use)

Use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 + Fishman Tripleplay with iPad on Battery Power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.msg74428#msg74428

mbenigni

QuoteBut after further time using this unit, I will lower this from 5 stars,  down to 3 stars due to the constant low level background noise. Remove the noise gate in your IOS Amp Sim of choice, and you will experience a fair amount of hiss and noise, which rear their head anytime you attempt to hold a singing note using a high gain patch. Play note, count 1000, 2000, 3000, and the next thing you hear will be the sound of your Note dying out, and then replaced by the hiss level rising in volume and then the noise gate kicks in and stutters.

What's interesting is this is exactly how I would describe my experience with the Sonuus i2M, which I know you like a lot for iOS applications.  I wrestled the i2M into "acceptable" territory by attenuating the pre-amp gain as far as I could, but it's still more noise than I think I'll be able to tolerate long term.  I started to feel like I was trying too hard to like the unit, and decided to return it.  I do wonder whether it's a product that works better on iOS devices than - for instance - Windows laptops/tablets, but I can't come up with any reason why there would be more/less noise in either case.  I wanted to test the i2M on an iPad of my own, but after spending a couple of hours trying to find my CCK and considering buying another I decided that would just be throwing good money (and time) after bad.

The Sonuus wasn't terrible, of course; I remember the original iRig with the 1/8" jack for iPhone and what a complete joke that was.  But it was significantly more noise than my NI Audio Kontrol 1.  I'm not sure it's realistic to expect a small plastic enclosure like the i2M's to provide really adequate shielding, especially for use with high-gain amp models.

Elantric

Elantric wrote>
But after further time using this unit, I will lower this from 5 stars,  down to 3 stars due to the constant low level background noise. Remove the noise gate in your IOS Amp Sim of choice, and you will experience a fair amount of hiss and noise, which rear their head anytime you attempt to hold a singing note using a high gain patch. Play note, count 1000, 2000, 3000, and the next thing you hear will be the sound of your Note dying out, and then replaced by the hiss level rising in volume and then the noise gate kicks in and stutters.

In my case when I wrote the above I had been using an IK Multimedia iRig Stomp Pedal that uses the iPad Headset 4 pole 3.5mm connection, and Ive come to the conclusion the  iPhone/  iPad Headset 4 pole 3.5mm Input connection is terrible for any audio interface. Way too much noise!   

What's interesting is this is exactly how I would describe my experience with the Sonuus i2M, which I know you like a lot for iOS applications.

I remain extremely happy with the Sonuus I2M when used with my iPad Mini using Jam Up Pro XT.

As I said, compared to any IOS Audio Interface that uses the iPad Headset 4 pole 3.5mm connection, - the Sonuus I2M is comparatively Much cleaner and much greater dynamics and headroom.

I recently tested the  Focusrite Scarlet 18i6 with my ipad, and that works even better than I2M, and for grins I retested the Presonus Audiobox 18181VSL with iPad, and ironically liked that even better - but the 18181VSL does require a Powered USB HUB (while Scarlett 18i6 works direct with Apple USB Camera Kit)

One thing to keep in mind for all the above Audio Interface reviews is to fully read which Operating System and Hardware platform was used for testing!

For example, I have updated the AudioBox 1818VSL review, adding new info about how it performed well with IOS. 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8291.msg59106#msg59106

mbenigni

QuoteOne thing to keep in mind for all the above Audio Interface reviews is to fully read which Operating System and Hardware platform was used for testing!
Understood.  I knew when I ordered the i2M that you had recommended it specifically for iOS, and that I was taking my chances with Windows and Guitar Rig.

Rig Kontrol 3 arrives tomorrow.  Hopefully this will be the interface that gets the job done after years of trial and error.  Fingers crossed.

shawnb

Brand & Model:  Scarlett 2i4

Computer Type & OS: ASUS Ultrabook, Win7 64-bit

Computer Connection method: USB 2.0 port

Driver version: 2.4.128.0

DAW/VSTi/AU/IOS Instrument used:  FTP, Guitar Rig, Amplitube

I was looking for a Hi-Z input, two preferably balanced outputs, and a MIDI in and out for my FTP rig. 

+1 on the Scarlett line.  I'm now using a Scarlett 2i4.  VERY quiet.  Came right up.  Plugging the Scarlett into my USB 3.0 port caused my computer to reboot though; you MUST use the 2.0 port. 

I also tried the Alesis io2, which worked OK, but was a touch too noisy and added just a hint too much latency.  Funny how the Alesis and Scarlett both reported 10ms, but the feel was very different.  The Alesis io2 would be OK at lower volumes.  The Alesis' strong points are that it's <$100, has a Hi-Z switch and also has MIDI in and out. 

Just put together my FTP rig.  I'm using an ASUS Win7 64-bit Ultrabook, with one USB3 and one USB2 port.  The Scarlett must go into the USB2.  The FTP works fine in the USB3 port. 

The Roland Duo Capture also looked VERY promising (I've had good luck with Edirol/Roland in the past), but was another $70 and I'm just having a bit of a hard time throwing more $ Roland's way at the moment. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

motetito

Brand & Model :  MBOX 2 PRO

Computer Type & OS: PC pentium IV; 1GB ram Windows XP

Computer Connection method: Firewire

Driver version: ?

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Cubase SX3; Waves GTR3; EZ Drummer; native cubase comp, reverb, GR55, REASON, Amplitube 2

Comment: I have been workng with this equipment for many years and i dont want to change it couse feel confortable. Very low latency really! but dont use many vsts at the same time! Works for me. I learned how to squeeze a couple of options and game with.
This is an example:

Menos es más...Tocá con el corazón.

Elantric

Brand & Model :  IK Multimedia iRig Pro

Computer Type & OS: iPad Air 128GB 3G (AT&T)

Computer Connection method: supplied Lightning cable

Driver version: ?

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Positive Grid Bias and Jamup Up Pro

iRig Pro : Its true 24 bit A/D and 24 bit iPad Audio were revealed when I used high gain amps in Positive Grid's Bias IOS app. iRig Pro is the Lowest Noise Guitar  / Audio interface for ipad I own. and found I could run Jamup Pro with no Noise Gates! Allows Ultra Low Latency to be turned on in Jamup Pro and I like that the iRig Pro has the separate hardware 5 pin MIDI Input port , which means I could use an external MIDI pedal (KMI SoftStep) to control everything. Comes with a supplied lightning adapter cable for latest Ipads as well as iPad 30 pin dock cable and USB for Mac compatibility.

Comprehensive review is here
http://www.musicappblog.com/irig-pro-review/

mbenigni

The iRig Pro looks awesome, and providing all three connectors (USB, 30-pin, Lightning) is a really classy touch.  I just wish the USB connection were also supported by a PC driver.  That would make the purchase a 100% no-brainer.

acousticartist

If I understand correctly, using the Apogee Quartet with IOS will allow you to use GarageBand instruments on an iPad through the Quartet's USB MIDI input? And also use the audio outputs of the GR55 at the same time?
I am considering one of these to use with my new MacBook Pro and this would be icing on the cake if it works for MIDI from the GR55 as we'll...
Thanks for this List!
Don
Quote from: Orren Merton on April 05, 2013, 03:33:24 PM

Brand & Model :  Apogee Quartet (Mac and iOS only)

Computer Type & OS: Apple iMac 27" 3.4GHz i7 running OS X 10.8.3 / iPad 3 running iOS 6.1.3

Computer Connection method: USB

Driver version: 1.19.4 (February 2013)

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Logic, GarageBand, Cubase, Live (OSX) / JamUp Pro & GarageBand for iOS (iOS)

Comment: I really cannot say enough good things about this interface. It sounds excellent, the mixer software is very intuitive and easy on the eyes, it's pop and click free even at extremely low audio buffers. The February 2013 update enabled iOS support as well as OS X support, and it works just as flawlessly with iOS. This isn't cheap but if you're doing serious recording on Mac/iOS this is worth the expense.

Orren
GR55
Yamaha SGL100n w/RMC

Elantric

QuoteIf I understand correctly, using the Apogee Quartet with IOS will allow you to use GarageBand instruments on an iPad through the Quartet's USB MIDI input? And also use the audio outputs of the GR55 at the same time?
I am considering one of these to use with my new MacBook Pro and this would be icing on the cake if it works for MIDI from the GR55 as we'll...

Actually many other interfaces deliver this functionality. I do the same with Focusrite Saffire 18i6+CCK connection to IPad.

Or a behringer IS-202 but that is only 16bit audio.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8291.msg61085#msg61085

A good list of IPAd audio/MIDI interfaces is here.
http://www.auriaapp.com/Support/auria-support

http://www.auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

Read this thread for my latest iPad Guitar Interface(24bit I/O, full MIDI I/O, Battery powered for 6 hours use)

Elantric

FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i4 USB INTERFACE $142

Brand & Model :  FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i4 USB INTERFACE (Win and Mac ( and iOS if you read details below)

Computer Type & OS: Apple iMac 27" 3.4GHz i7 running OS X 10.8.3 / iPad Air running iOS 7.0.4 in IOS

Computer Connection method: USB (IOS = CCK+ Generic powered Hub)

Driver version: USB Class Compliant

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Logic, GarageBand, Logic , Live (OSX) / JamUp Pro, Bias,  & GarageBand for iOS (iOS)

Comment:

Very clean works well - and many useful user controls for small recording projects

From the Focusrite Web site
http://global.focusrite.com/scarlett-2i4

Scarlett 2i4 is a 2 in / 4 out USB audio interface featuring two award-winning Focusrite pre-amps and four high-quality audio outputs. Housed in an anodised aluminium unibody chassis, the Scarlett 2i4 is the perfect audio interface for musicians and digital DJs.

Get Started
Connect Scarlett 2i4 to your Mac or PC and get ready to make music! With the very best in digital audio technology and a variety of input and output options, the Scarlett 2i4 will capture and playback your sound with superb quality.

Plug straight in
The front panel has two combo XLR inputs so you can connect microphones, guitars and line level signals with absolute confidence that your sound is in safe hands. Use the "PAD" function for loud guitars or microphones, and use the "DIRECT MONITOR" control for a low-latency mix of input and playback signals.

Keep an eye on your levels
Unique signal halos let you know that you've got a good audio level for recording. Green is good and red means that your audio is too loud, and that your should lower the level control.

DJ-ready outputs
With 4 RCA outputs, a high-level headphone output and pristine audio quality, in a package ready for the road, the Scarlett 2i4 is ideal for today's digital performers and laptop DJs.

25 years of experience
Since 1985, Focusrite has been a leading manufacturer in the professional audio field. Focusrite mic pres are the choice of leading artists, recording studios and engineers around the world. Those years of audio experience ensure the Scarlett 2i4 sounds as beautiful as it looks.

High Quality Mic Preamps
Scarlett 2i4 features two high quality award-winning mic preamps. With more than 25 years of experience designing analogue equipment, Focusrite produce the best mic preamps in the industry. With Scarlett 2i4, the best of analogue and digital are combined to provide a class-leading input stage for your audio.

High Quality Outputs
With a dynamic range of over 105dB (real world performance), your music will sound amazing going out of Scarlett 2i4's professional digital to analogue conversion, and into your DJ mixer, main speakers or headphones.

MIDI I/O
On the back panel are MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports providing connectivity to your synth modules and digital pianos.

USB bus powered
Take your Scarlett 2i4 anywhere! With USB bus powering, your Scarlett 2i4 will work anywhere your laptop will, even when using 48V Phantom power. No mains power supply required.

Rugged Metal Unibody Case
The anodised aluminium unibody chassis ensures that your Scarlett 2i4 can withstand life on the road, and looks great in your setup.

Unique Signal Halos
The gain halos which surround the gain knob for each input provide an easy way to know that the signal you're recording is the right level. It will show green when the signal is at a good level (above -24dBFS). If it turns to red, you know that the signal is too loud and is therefore clipping – if this happens, simply reduce the gain until the halo returns to green.

Direct Monitor Function
Turn the direct monitor control on the front panel of your Scarlett 2i4 and you will hear what you are recording through your speakers or headphones, without the signal having to go through your Mac or PC. This avoids the possibility of latency (introduced by your music software), which can be distracting while recording.

Included software for Mac and PC
Inside the box you'll find a code which will unlock Ableton Live Lite 8, as well as Focusrite's Scarlett plug-in suite. Compatible with all major DAWs (digital audio workstations) on Mac and PC, Scarlett plug-in suite provides EQ, Compression, Gate and Reverb – essential tools for polishing your mix.
2 in / 4 out USB audio interface
96 KHz, 24-bit conversion
2 Focusrite microphone preamplifiers
Red anodised aluminium unibody chassis
Front panel
2 line/mic/instrument combination inputs - high quality XLR/ ¼ " TRS Jack Combo
2 line/inst switches
2 illuminating "PAD" buttons
2 Gain knobs
2 Gain halo signal indicators
48V Phantom power switch
MIDI activity LED indicator
USB connection LED indicator
"DIRECT MONITOR" control
"STEREO/MONO" switch for direct monitor
Large monitor level dial (controls headphone and line level outputs)
Headphone output - ¼" TRS Jack
Headphone level knob
"HEADPHONE SOURCE" switch
Rear panel
2 balanced monitor outputs – TRS (channels 1-2)
4 unbalanced outputs – RCA Phono (channels 1-4)
MIDI IO
USB 2.0 Port
Kensington Lock slot
Included software
Ableton Live Lite 8
Focusrite Scarlett plug-in suite
Novation Bass Station
Loopmasters content
1 Year Manufacturers Warranty

Info on using with iPad here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.msg74429#msg74429

thebrushwithin

Short video with highlights of new Alesis Core series class compliant interfaces. The Core @, with it's usb hub looks great, and the Core * has 8 discreet USB output channels @ 24/96 !!! Ranging from $49 - $299.
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/alesis-core-series-overview-sweetwater-at-winter-namm-2014/

Elantric

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/gnx3000

Brand & Model :  Digitech GNX3000 (Ebay $130)

Computer Type & OS: Apple iPad Air 128GB, IOS 7.1 (11D167)

Computer Connection method: Apple Lightning USB Camera Adapter (separate Powered USB Hub not required) 

This unit is a real sleeper  - with many desirable options and is full 24 bit audio USB AUDIO/MIDI Class Compliant device  for PC/Mac/iPad/iPhone with IOS7.

* 24 bit @44.1kHz  4 input  / 2 output Audio Interface  - set the GNX3000 in "Re-Amp" mode, and this bypasses the GNX3000's built in Guitar FX/Amp  processor, and Change the GNX3000's USB AUDIO Mode to (ASIO/Mac) [not WDM]  allows the GNX3000 to work as a low latency 24 bit Audio I/O interface for Positive Grid BIAS /Jamup Pro- great low noise Guitar Instrument Pre-amp, also a selectable  XLR Mic Pre, or Stereo Balanced TRS Line Inputs, and separate  Stereo Balanced TRS Line Outputs and XLR Stereo Balanced Line Outputs.

* Full working 5pin DIN MIDI I/O Interface with no restrictions - Use the  GNX3000 as a MIDI I/O Interface with iPad, Mac, Windows PC   

I used to own the previous model  - the 2004 Digitech GNX4 with built in 8 track recorder, but sold it years ago, This GNX3000 dates from 2006, but actually I find the DSP Amp Sims sound rather decent with good touch dynamic response with most factory presets have many decent tones you can gig with. No brief Audio Muting during GNX3000 patch changes means you can use the GNX3000 as your Guitar Processor as well as your USB Audio Interface (with XLR Outputs ) for running backing tracks or Audio loops or SoftSynths on your iPad - and have no audio dropouts of the backing tracks during GNX3000 patch changes. (this is something Roland VG/GR Products can not do ) 
Too bad the current models of Digitech RP floor processors all lack 5pin MIDI I/O. (only the rack mount GSP-1101 has MIDI I/O)
Sadly the onboard GNX3000 footswitches and pots do not send consistent MIDI CC# commands  - still mapping which modes do what   - I do see occasional MIDI CC# traffic and Patch change commands generated by the GNX3000.
The good news is with just one USB cable, the iPad+CCK sees the GNX3000 as a 24bit Audio I/O and 5pin MIDI I/O interface  - so I can use a separate 5 pin MIDI controller connected to the GNX3000's MIDI Input, or connect a Keyboard Synth to the GNX3000's MIDI Output and have iPad MIDI Sequencer provide the MIDI Note on / off events to trigger the external keyboard via 5pin DIN MIDI connection.

Another option is connect the iPAd(+ CCK) to a powered USB 2.0 Hub  - then connect a Fishman Tripleplay, Korg Nanokontrol, Logidy UMI-3 USB Foot Controller, or KMI Softstep for MIDI Control, along with the GNX3000 to handle the Audio I/O chores. I'm exploring making mods to support using the GNX3000 as a remote MIDI footswitch.           

Elantric

Brand & Model :  Novation / Focusrite X-Station (Ebay $150)

Computer Type & OS: Apple iPad Air 128GB, IOS 7.1 (11D167)

Computer Connection method: Apple Lightning USB Camera Adapter (separate Powered USB Hub required) 

Its an often overlooked fact - but these older X-Stations employ Focusrite designed Mic Pres (Focusrite owns Novation) and offer 24 bit USB Class Compliant audio I/O to iPad  - with similar performance to Scarlett 2i4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novation_Digital_Music_Systems

Frankly its shocking for me to read all the excuses, wrong information,  and struggles that today's Music gear manufacturers are having in 2014 to produce a product which is 24 bit USB Streaming Audio and USB Class Compliant and full MIDI I/O over USB  - when Novation  / Focusrite were doing this 10 years ago

X-StationOwners Manual
http://d19ulaff0trnck.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/downloads/4178/english89.pdf

I found my latest X-Station-25 for $150 on Ebay    - and it features:

* A Mono / polyphonic synth (Keyboard has excellent Pro feel and Aftertouch!) (no computer required) with thick analog sound heard on many UK pop records
* A MIDI controller with lots of knobs and sliders all mapable as MIDI CC# controls with nice LCD display for real time status for playing iPad Synths using Ipad+CCK) or tweaking settings in other gear - like N.I. Guitar Rig ( with Mac via USB) or VG-99 / GR-55 using old school 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O. There's a trackpad and highly configurable joystick
* A 2 in  / 2 out 24 bit Audio Interface with XLR / TRS Combo  inputs and Balanced TRS outputs for PC/Mac/Ipad(+CCK) 
* A USB to 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O interface for PC/Mac/Ipad(+CCK) 

* Built in Real time FX( Delays, Reverb, Chorus, Compression, EQ)  for the Synth or any live signal fed into its  XLR / TRS Combo  inputs.

These used to retail for $750 here in USA back in 2005

The S.O.S review is from 2004  - and ignore the warnings about USB drivers  - the very latest DOCS , Editor USB Driver for Win / Mac are available via links below 

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/articles/xstation25.htm

Highly recommended

http://uk.novationmusic.com/support/product-downloads?product=X-Station
http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/category/x-station

and know these were also offered in 61 key version

supernicd

Excellent find, the X-Station - that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.  None available on eBay in the $150 ATM, unfortunately, but I'll keep an eye out.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

amplayer

Brand & Model :  Roland Quad-Capture

Computer Type & OS: Dell XPS 15, Windows 8.1

Computer Connection method: USB 2.0

Driver version: Roland Quad-Capture ASIO driver version 1.5.2.
     Note: must download this driver from Roland.  Included CD does NOT work on Windows 8.1.
     http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=UA%2D55&id=62264894

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Ableton Live, Propellerheads Reason, Native Instruments Komplete

Comment: Portable & affordable, driver & device seem solid.  No clicks or pops at buffer setting 256 in all DAWs.  Lower buffer amounts likely possible.  Noise floor VERY low.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1166/498

supernicd

Novation X-Station and iPad:  I had overlooked the detail about the powered hub requirement.  That makes it a little less desirable.  Does it give the not enough power message when connected through the CCK, even when it has it's own power supply and/or batteries powering the unit?
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

kenact

I use the E-MU 1616 with my laptop and the E-MU 1820 for my tower. I'll probably have to retire them the next time I upgrade my computers. Hardly anyone makes a laptop with a PCMCIA interface anymore.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Brak(E)man

Brand & Model:   BEHRINGER  GUITAR LINK UCG102

Computer Type & OS: macbook OS 10.6

Computer Connection method: USB 2.0 port

Driver version: no ext driver , universal core audio driver, plug and play

DAW/VSTi/AU/IOS Instrument used:  Logic , Mainstage, Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc.etc.

LOW Latency it's cheap , sounds great for guitar use.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

shawnb

Brand & Model :  Phonic Firefly 808
    http://www.phonic.com/en/firefly-808-universal.html

Computer Type & OS: Custom built, Windows7

Computer Connection method: Firewire (newer models also allow USB, I haven't tried USB)

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: SONAR X3, SONAR VSTs

Comment: This is a bit of a gem.  List price is under $400 with 8 XLR inputs.  We use it at our practice studio; it has worked flawlessly for years.  With this & a DAW you don't need a mixer. 

Specs from site:

Firefly 808 Universal
Studio Recording Preamp with 192 kHz USB/FireWire Interface

FireWire (IEEE 1394) and USB 2.0 audio interface
  -  24-bit resolution, up to 192 kHz sampling rate
  -  18 simultaneous inputs and outputs via FireWire/USB audio interface
  -  8 microphone preamps with trim control and individual phantom power switches
  -  8 analog line inputs including 2 instrument inputs
  -  8 channels of optical ADAT I/O (4 channels via 96k dual SMUX)
  -  S/PDIF I/O, AES/EBU I/O, MIDI I/O and word clock I/O
  -  Headphone output and Main output with volume control for monitoring purpose
  -  Channel meters on channel 1 to 8 for input or output
  -  Synchronization, sampling rate, digital I/O and MIDI in/out indicators
  -  Dual FireWire ports for daisy chaining and direct connection to Mac or PC
  -  Stand-alone mixer functionality for field and studio use without computer
  -  Instrument input, pad switch, balanced TRS send jacks on Inputs 1 and 2
  -  Compatible with Mac OSX and Windows XP, Vista & 7
  -  Steinberg Cubase LE 5 digital audio workstation software included
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

FWIW - the EMU-1820 was co-designed by EMU and  AKM Semi in San Jose, CA and its A/D D/A were considered top state of the art for a reference design digital to analog conversion design circa 2004  - despite the fact EMU is owned by Creative Labs - "this ain't no Sound Blaster !

Elantric

QuoteNovation X-Station and iPad:  I had overlooked the detail about the powered hub requirement.  That makes it a little less desirable.  Does it give the not enough power message when connected through the CCK, even when it has it's own power supply and/or batteries powering the unit?

Yes -the "requirement for Powered USB Hub" remains a source of confusion for many

Review this  Auria Audio Interface Recommendations page
http://www.auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

And look at the column "Works without Powered Hub?"

and observe that many AC Powered Audio interfaces still require a separate  Powered USB Hub before they will work with an iPAd

This is due to the design of the USB port on the Audio interface, as its standard USB design practice for the connected USB Host Computer to power the USB PHY IC inside the USB Client.

Read more here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10138.msg74181#msg74181

Powered USB HUB is NOT for Powering the attached USB Device, but instead used only for powering up the bulk Capacitor on the typical Client USB Interface  - like a Silicon Labs CP-2101 USB Interface IC - the "turn on inrush current exceeds the ipad's power capability, and this explains the "This Device exceeds the Power Available" error message that iPads/ iPhones generate when using many USb devices with the Apple USB Camera Connection Kit.

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/CP2101.pdf

I suspect there is an issue with momentary in rush current overload, which the Ipad dock port hardware senses and pops up the Accessory uses excessive power Error message. That happens anytime the initial USB connection sequence occurs in the wrong order, if you continue to re-attempt to connect things in the wrong order a few times in a row, the iPad's internal Dock Port USB UART's thermal protection will shutdown and disable the iPad dock port. This often requires the iPad to be completely powered down, wait a few minutes and then after re-power up, finally (if you are lucky to discover, use, and remember the correct iPad Dock / Powered USB Hub, USB Audio Interface connection sequence) the iPad finally shakes hands and allows external USB Audio connections. Its when you do things in the wrong sequence, it can take several minutes before things will ever work again - so remember this as a potential disaster at your live gig.   

Edit: