FTP - Wireless Connectivity problems

Started by Cez Nov, June 18, 2014, 04:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cez Nov

Hi!

I got some big issues with the connection stability, especially when playing gigs in the clubs/pubs.
It seems that my receiver/controller are having trouble communicating during playing. The LED on the receiver starts to blink,
the notes are getting lost or hanged what makes it impossible to play clean. My guess is that other wireless devices interrupting
the FTP. For example I also use Numark Orbit Wireless midi Controller. Here you can see how it affect the FTP (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8XXHQF-02E&feature=youtu.be).

But not only this device affects the FTP. I also noticed that a single wireless mouse can make some problems.
And imagine what happends when I am in unfamiliar enviroment when I don't know what kind of devices are around me... it is a mine pole!

Have anyone experienced the same problems? I wrote several messages to Fishman support but there is no response...

shawnb

Have not experienced this.

My recommendation is to re-pair the device at the time & place you have the issue. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Cez Nov

I always re-pairing at the beginning and even during the gig. It doesn't help... but just to be sure I do this right:

1) If both devices are connected, the receiver LED is solid and controller LED blinks every 4 seconds.
Now if I want to break the connection I can do it both ways:
a) If I press the receiver LED it starts to blink very fast and the controller LED blinks every 1 second. Then I press the receiver LED again. They are paired.
b) If I press the controller LED it starts to blink very fast and the receiver LED blinks every 0.5 second. Then I press the controller LED again. They are paired.

Is that how it should work? I thought it doesn't matter which LED I press, the LED behaviours will always be the same.

Elantric

my 2 cents - I "paired" my FTP to its receiver Once - back in April 2013 - Only other time is after the big FTP update last October 2013

Never had any connection issues, and I'm surrounded by lots of wireless devices.

Cez Nov

Ok so in your opinion what is the problem? Broken FTP or my PC gear?

Elantric

Albertas - since you are in Poland, know that the local background radiated RF (Radio Frequency) "noise" in your region of the globe is very different than we experience here in USA.

This is the reason Fishman has a version of the FTP for use in USA, and a separate versions for use in the UK, and Europe.

Best you can do is use the FTP version best suited for your region of the globe. Only Fishman can answer this

Other references

http://www.dbicorporation.com/audio.htm

http://www.intertek.com/contact/

Cez Nov

I bought my FTP from Polish dealer, so I cannot imagine it works in a wrong RF.

Cez Nov

Since I still have a problem I would like to ask this:

If during play there are some ghosts notes appearing (bad tracking) does it shows in receiver LED behavior (randomly blinking like I described in the beginning)?
Or the connection stability is independent?

For example let's say my hexaphonic pickup is not placed too well so that the tracking is far from perfect. Would the bad tracking be also "confirmed" in the randomly LED blinking?

Elantric

For example let's say my hexaphonic pickup is not placed too well so that the tracking is far from perfect. Would the bad tracking be also "confirmed" in the randomly LED blinking?

No - the wireless link connectivity status LED on FTP Receiver is a whole separate function from the Guitar to MIDI

If your PU is placed wrong and poor resulting tracking - this will NOT impact the  wireless link connectivity status LED on FTP Receiver.

Cez Nov

Thanks!

Another thing - is there any way to achieve this:

The LED on the receiver is blinking at its fastest rate (like it is looking for the controller) and I can still trigger play and trigger all the notes just like the LED is solid?

Elantric

QuoteThe LED on the receiver is blinking at its fastest rate (like it is looking for the controller) and I can still trigger play and trigger all the notes just like the LED is solid?

I own two FTPs and I NEVER see all the issues with flashing LEDS on FTP USB Receiver and disconnect issues you are experiencing Albtertas!

On my FTP's, they arrived March / April 2013 - I did the "Pair" procedure once back in Spring 2013, and today they run rock solid on MacBook or ipad (and sluggishly  with MUCH higher latency on my Win7 Lenovo W520) - but my FTP USB Receiver always glows steady. Only time I see flashing LED on Receiver is when I have not turned on the FTP controller yet, or when I'm applying an FTP  Firmware update.   

Cez Nov

Ok I need to find what causes the problem. Is it my computer, my usb ports or just my FTP itself.

1) Have you ever used receiver through USB hub or USB extension cable?
2) Were your controller and receiver always visible to each other during your gigs (no obstacles between them)? Obstacle = even a simple turning around with a guitar so the controller has your body as an obstacle.
3) Was there highly wireless polluted places you played? I mean like different wireless mics turned ON very close to you.

Elantric

Quote1) Have you ever used receiver through USB hub or USB extension cable?
Yes  - - Always works here using POWERED USB HUB on my ipad !
(details here)
Use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 + Fishman Tripleplay with iPad on Battery Power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.0

And on my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina  I use this Powered USB3.0  Hub
Anker® AH231 USB Hub with 9 USB 3.0 Data Ports + 1 Smart Charging Port (5V / 2.1A)with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset and updated Firmware 9081]

http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Adapter-VL812-B2-Chipset-Firmware/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406850958&sr=1-3&keywords=anker+usb+hub

Or I plug  FTP Receiver directly to USB Port on left side of Macbook, or direct to Apple USB Camera connection kit on iPad

Quote2) Were your controller and receiver always visible to each other during your gigs (no obstacles between them)? Obstacle = even a simple turning around with a guitar so the controller has your body as an obstacle.

FTP Controller and USB Receiver never go more than 12 feet away from each other - and only thing blocking a direct line of sight view would be my 6 foot tall body. 

Quote3) Was there highly wireless polluted places you played? I mean like different wireless mics turned ON very close to you.

Yes - typical UHF Wireless mics in use on stage - never have wireless RF connection problems or drop outs  with my Fishman Tripleplay   

melodymann

Just wanted you to know you're not alone. I'm on my second triple play and continue to have the same problem although my first was returned for a different reason. I can't figure out any reason for it, there seems to be no pattern. Sometimes it seems related to how fast I'm playing as though it can't process the amount of notes that I'm playing, but other times it's completely random. Even with the unit completely powered up Wi-Fi turned off, airplane mode whatever it will happen. Yet sometimes it won't happen for hours. A royal pain!

Terry

merman93

I hadn't used either of my FTP's in some time, so when I went to use I received need to update FW prompt. Both my FTP's are working great on the MacBook Air that I did the FirmWare Upgrades on, but, on my iMac neither will connect, although they work sending midi data to Logic, Garagband etc.

I tried to force a FW update by using Control/About TriplePlay, it goes through the entire process but prompts 0 of 2 updates completed. Weird.

I'm not spending any more time on this currently, ( going back and forth from Controller not found to receiver not found), as It is doing what i need, but wanted to put it out there that others are having communication/connection issues.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Cez Nov

Quote from: melodymann on August 01, 2014, 09:50:15 AM
Just wanted you to know you're not alone. I'm on my second triple play and continue to have the same problem although my first was returned for a different reason. I can't figure out any reason for it, there seems to be no pattern. Sometimes it seems related to how fast I'm playing as though it can't process the amount of notes that I'm playing, but other times it's completely random. Even with the unit completely powered up Wi-Fi turned off, airplane mode whatever it will happen. Yet sometimes it won't happen for hours. A royal pain!

Terry

Sorry to hear that. Do you have US or EU version?

shawnb

Quote from: albertas on July 31, 2014, 04:31:17 PM
The LED on the receiver is blinking at its fastest rate (like it is looking for the controller) and I can still trigger play and trigger all the notes just like the LED is solid?

Possibly related - ????

I JUST figured this out, and I think it was the root of a couple "random" problems I was having... 

I have found that my charger is getting a bad power connection with the controller.  With lots of use, the connection between the USB cable & the wall-wart is very bad.   (The connection between the cable & the controller end is OK for me...)  So I'm not really charging. 

When the battery level is low, connections are not made.   

I have to fiddle with the cable/wall-wart connection until the LED on the controller stops 'flickering' or blinking fast.  It should be blinking a solid green when charging.  Then let it charge a few hours.  Then it returns to normal.   

There is another post here about the battery indicator not showing properly - I thought I had the same thing, but in hindsight, I think I actually was NOT charged at that time, despite letting it charge all night.  Then I convinced myself it drained quickly...  But in fact, I now suspect it was not charged at all.   

***I now suspect that any of the 'flickering' or rapid blinking of LEDs on the controller is due to an extremely low battery level on the controller.   I must turn the controller power off, connect the charger, & fiddle with the cable until I get a consistent green blinking, & THEN let it charge overnight.***   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Cez Nov

To be clear - when I am talking about LED I mean the RED LED on both controller and receiver.
The green light indicating charging status is a different story. I don't have problems with that so I guess it should be in another topic.

shawnb

OK.    (The 'no battery status' post was yours, making me think there was possibly a connection between both issue - as I have observed.)

In my extremely-low-power issue, even the 'green' power LED flickers or blinks red, depending on how low it is & how good the power cable connections is...

melodymann

Hi Alberta's,
It's the US version, as a sidenote the cable for the supplied charger has become unreliable, luckily my Logitech optical mouse USB cable is exactly the same... Good to know

Terry

Cez Nov

@melodymann

Are you planing to exchange to a new model? Was this connectivity issues present on your previous model? Are you using FTP with laptop or desktop? Are you playing some live gigs?

Spider

My original charger doesn't charger any more too. Cable is ok (works with other charger) but Fishman charger is very "week" and has problem with, for example, charging smart phone or doesn't work at all.

shawnb

My wall-wart works fine.  It's the cable that isn't working.  I grabbed the equivalent cable from my phone charger & everything works great.  All of a sudden, my FTP works like new!    ::)

cadarette

Hi Everyone -

Just chiming in to say that if you are having issues with your FTP power supply, please feel free to contact our support department (support@fishman.com) directly. As the power supplies themselves are not manufactured by us, we can't always ensure that there won't be the occasional unit that doesn't meet its specs. But if you have dealt with Fishman support in the past, you'll know (I certainly hope) that we pride ourselves on doing everything in our power to get you straightened out as quickly as possible and back to making music.

Matt Cadarette
Fishman Transducers

Elantric

Thanks for posting this info for FTP users here Matt!