Boss GP-10 Reviews

Started by myksara, June 12, 2014, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteI have two pots and four buttons that I can assign to control just about anything

I believe he means

Assignable Pot #1  = GK-3's GK-Vol Control

Assignable Pot #2  = GP-10's Expression Pedal

Assignable Switch #1  = GK-3's S1 Switch 

Assignable Switch #2  = GK-3's S2 Switch 

Assignable Switch #3  = GP-10's CTL1 Switch 

Assignable Switch #4  = GP-10's CTL2 Switch 

And know that with care - this can be expanded to three Pots and 6 Switches.

Assignable Pot #3  = GP-10's External Expression Pedal

And if the External Expression Pedal is maintained in the "Heel Down / Toe Up position, you can also add

Assignable Switch #5  = GP-10's External CTL3 Switch 

Assignable Switch #6  = GP-10's External CTL4 Switch 

More GP-10 Tricks and Mods
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11717.msg84962#msg84962

MusicOverGear

Quote from: mbenigni on July 23, 2014, 06:35:24 AM
Are you referring to the GK Vol. and expression Pedals here?  Or are there more?

Yeah I meant GK Vol, GKSW1 GKSW2 CTL1 CTL2, EXP1

Actually, now that I think about it you get two for one with EXP1, because there is EXP1 OFF and EXP1 ON

amplayer

Quote from: Elantric on July 23, 2014, 10:18:49 AM
And if the External Expression Pedal is maintained in the "Heel Down / Toe Up position, you can also add

Assignable Switch #5  = GP-10's External CTL3 Switch 

Assignable Switch #6  = GP-10's External CTL4 Switch 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11717.msg84962#msg84962

I'm not sure I understand how this would work.
Is there a hardware box that includes one EXP pedal and 2 switches?
Does it mean the EXP pedal could not be used at all?

Elantric

QuoteI'm not sure I understand how this would work.
Is there a hardware box that includes one EXP pedal and 2 switches?
Does it mean the EXP pedal could not be used at all?

You must first learn my favorite programming language - Solder!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11717.msg85361#msg85361
There used to be an old external pedal mod which began with the Boss GT-5 (circa 1996) where folks were able to connect both an Expression Pedal AND a pair of Momentary switches, to one jack - yes the typical "EXP2 / CTL 3,4" TRS Jack found on most Boss GT-x pedals and now the Boss GP-10 , using the Control Assignments per patch  - allowed some patches to use an Expression pedal, while other patches employed CTL2, CTL 3 for Reverb / Delay on / off - which offered far more control options on a patch by patch basis - just need to dive into the archive and locate that circuit and use it on Boss GP-10 

http://www.ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Zoom/index.html?Yadapter.html

It is important to note that the footswitch will only work when the expression pedal is all the way toe-down.

amplayer

Quote from: Elantric on July 23, 2014, 10:32:04 AM
You must first learn my favorite programming language - Solder!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11717.msg85361#msg85361
There used to be an old external pedal mod which began with the Boss GT-5 (circa 1996) where folks were able to connect both an Expression Pedal AND a pair of Momentary switches, to one jack - yes the typical "EXP2 / CTL 3,4" TRS Jack found on most Boss GT-x pedals and now the Boss GP-10 , using the Control Assignments per patch  - allowed some patches to use an Expression pedal, while other patches employed CTL2, CTL 3 for Reverb / Delay on / off - which offered far more control options on a patch by patch basis - just need to dive into the archive and locate that circuit and use it on Boss GP-10 

http://www.ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Zoom/index.html?Yadapter.html

It is important to note that the footswitch will only work when the expression pedal is all the way toe-down.

This does seem like an easy enough mod that even I could do it.
However, I think if I buy a GP-10, I'll just live with a single EXP pedal.
I rarely have need of any other EXP uses than Volume and Wah.  Both of these are available on GP-10 without mods.
Then again, that OSC thingy may very well change my mind about having another EXP.
I'll definitely get an FS-6 (or similar dual switch) to go with it though.

It will take a while for me to get used to what's necessary for switching sounds live though.

MusicOverGear

AM Player you can also add a regular volume pedal after the GP-10. That way you free up EXP1 AND you still have the EXP2/CTL3&4 jack open. Plus if you already have cable the right length it's less work.

amplayer

Quote from: MusicOverGear on July 25, 2014, 06:58:15 AM
AM Player you can also add a regular volume pedal after the GP-10. That way you free up EXP1 AND you still have the EXP2/CTL3&4 jack open. Plus if you already have cable the right length it's less work.

I have thought of that.  However, I think I won't bother with the external volume pedal unless I decide I need something besides Volume and Wah.
With the built-in switch below the EXP, the GP-10 will work great for both Volume and Wah.
Now if I decide that the GP-10 OSC is worth having an EXP for, then I guess I'll get the external volume pedal.

martinpaul

got my gp-10 yesterday ;D here some short impressions

-rock solid device, we enjoy for decades high roland standards:
build like a tank, good switches, no lousy pots, good working pedal,
display bright and easy to read.
- no pops, no hum, no noise,no hiss, brizzle whatever: roland
- I like the software, very good, intuitive gui. (Adobe Air 14 essential!  >:()
- Midi and Audio impementation is a bit weird to me, easy usb2 to Midi 5pin standard converter
could be helpful
- tested 3,5" Aux input with cellphone- works!

- I tested the sound against my VG99+Gr30 combi+(comp, vitalizer outboard),
that is a bit unfair, but gp-10 should have the chance to show progress. ;)
(comment on my config: imo bass guitars and bass synths need compression,
compression inside vg99 for me is dissatisfying for fattening the signal,
for acoustic guitars I use slight comp (RNC) that vg99 can t do,vitalizing is not really essential)

first impression: -10dBu -> pot to the right, modern equipment can compensate that

for me, the strenghts of Vg series was on the acoustic side:
-Western, es335, bass, nylon!, L4 - everything fine, maybe slightly improved against vg99-
final results after "filter finishing", nylon in vg99 was crap, in gp-10 it is usable.
-ES 335 with crunch is wow!

- was curious about blues1 (normal pu) sounds, which sound good on my pc:
usable -sound soso ok (for sessions)but far away from high tec (fractal, kemper etc)->
my 6,5 inch cable will always go straight into a tube amp!

synth: very intersting, may be a bit on the hissy side, imo cant compete with pcm gr30/jv1080 sounds, but its a different system. Filters seem to be quite good, after tweaking I will manage to get fatty sounds

effects so far nothing devastating,high roland standard of course no studio reverbs

Gk sensivity a bit lower, thats is a bit annoying cause I have -20% on some guitars,
should I recalibrate the gk pu?

All in all good acoustics and some synths, for me nothing on the tube-distortion-metal side (except some dist bass brutals, nice effect)

JeffVolume

New member here... Just acquired a GP-10 after reading every thread about it on this forum and watching every youtube I could find..

It arrived Saturday and I immediately hooked it up and ran thru the factory presets.. After the first run I wasn't very impressed with the sounds, almost to the point of wanting to return it... But I decided to explore it further and  downloaded the Editor from the Boss site... After loading an initialized preset and exploring thru the editor I am blown away by this thing!! The factory sounds DO NOT DO THIS THING JUSTICE!!

First, the editor itself is a thing of beauty in my opinion, it really shows all the options clearly... The guitar models are stellar! The amps are great!! The effects and routing options are great to.. The dual osc synth is just incredible!! Tracking is flawless....Im sure I will spend many hours twiddling knobs just in the synth section alone...

I dont know if I should be thrilled or upset that the modeled strat sounds better than my actual American HSS Strat lol... Anyway just wanted to give my mini review...

After some programing on the unit I do have a question... Is it possible to pan between the modeled sounds and the actual pickup sounds? I mean, can I pan one  full right and the other full left?? I haven't found this option available yet...

Thanks for all the great information I obtained from reading info on this site!! I cant wait to start exchanging some patches!! How will that be accomplished as the Boss site isint facilitating user patch exchange as of yet...

Ok Im off for more exploration...
      Thanks Again!!

MusicOverGear

Quote from: JeffVolume on July 28, 2014, 04:13:13 PM
  After some programing on the unit I do have a question... Is it possible to pan between the modeled sounds and the actual pickup sounds? I mean, can I pan one  full right and the other full left?? I haven't found this option available yet...

You can switch model types and you can pan the individual strings in the LEVEL PAN section, so you could use all 8 assigns to switch from OSC Synth to a model of your actual pickups, pan all 6 strings, and switch between fade out and fade in at the top of the EXP travel... Oh damn that's 9 things, isn't it. Oh, well it wasn't a very good idea anyway. That's literally my best idea. I'm interested to see someone solve this puzzle.

You could of course do it on a laptop, doing your summing and panning there, but I'm sure that's not what you're after.

Or with a panning pedal on your pedalboard after the GP-10, using the Guitar Out jack (it's just the Guitar Pickup input signal). Sorry I know that's not what you wanted... just brainstorming out of habit....

Very interesting. If you figure this out on your own please share

Sounds like your experience is similar to mine; I also prefer my GP-10 strat (playing on Gibson scale) to my real strat that I previously thought was the ultimate. One thing I forgot to mention in my review is that I love how with the GP-10 it is extremely easy - default, really - to change timbre and volume independently. With a tube amp setup the best I ever figured out on that front was to use a volume pedal in the effects loop, but even that way the amp gets darker as you bring it up, unless it's way overpowered for the room.

Anyway, congrats on your new GP-10.

Eric Rowland

New member here... Just acquired a GP-10 after reading every thread about it on this forum and watching every youtube I could find..

It arrived Saturday and I immediately hooked it up and ran thru the factory presets.. After the first run I wasn't very impressed with the sounds, almost to the point of wanting to return it... But I decided to explore it further and  downloaded the Editor from the Boss site... After loading an initialized preset and exploring thru the editor I am blown away by this thing!! The factory sounds DO NOT DO THIS THING JUSTICE!!   

You had me worried there for a minute JV...I should get one on the next boat in and am looking forward to fun and games. I also have a HSS Strat...for now...  ;D

merman93

New member here... Just acquired a GP-10 after reading every thread about it on this forum

Welcome to the forum! I truly believe you will not find better info on the various Virtual Guitar systems anywhere else, nor nicer forum members willing to give their advice and reviews.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

BobTheDog

This thing is pretty impressive.

6 channel audio works perfectly at a high volume level, hooray.

The Cosm guitars are much much better than the VG99.

The midi conversion is streets ahead of any other roland converter I have ever tried, nearly as good as the FTP.

I am seriously impressed with it so far.

mateomasfeo

I am ecstatic over the ease in using the mag pickups and accessing the qualities of the individual guitar!  It makes such a difference in this regard over the 99 - which is recalcitrant at best.

Lot's of tonal variety that is easy to access and mix with the hex.  This alone makes the GP10 a pure pleasure...

Dances with Sheep on SoundCLoud

https://soundcloud.com/dances-with-sheep

jassy

Im curious about your comment, is not essentially the same the mag pickups integration with the vg99?

What is the difference?

Elantric

QuoteI'm curious about your [Boss GP-10] comment,

"I am ecstatic over the ease in using the mag pickups and accessing the qualities of the individual guitar!  It makes such a difference in this regard over the 99 - which is recalcitrant at best.

Lot's of tonal variety that is easy to access and mix with the hex.  This alone makes the GP10 a pure pleasure..."

is not essentially the same the mag pickups integration with the vg99?

What is the difference?
On the Boss GP-10, many factory presets already incorporate use of the Normal Mag Pickups and working three way "Guitar/Mix/GK Synth" selector switch on Gk-3  - or COSM / Normal PU toggle on the CTL #1 pedal.

Read the Boss GP-10 Sound Sheet patch description column "Normal PU ON/OFF" here:

On Boss GP-10, there  is no need to dive into the system and edit patches just to hear the normal Mag PU - as on VG-99 (see thread below)

How to use Normal PU sounds and make the GK-3 3-way switch work with the VG-99
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8019.msg57043#msg57043
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5293.0

mbenigni

Quote6 channel audio works perfectly at a high volume level, hooray.

If I had a little more time on my hands, I'd be tempted to blow the dust off of Reaktor 5, and try my hand at some homegrown DSP-based guitar synthesis.  But that would be like falling down six rabbit holes at the same time.  :)

MusicOverGear

Quote from: mbenigni on July 31, 2014, 07:47:56 AM
If I had a little more time on my hands, I'd be tempted to blow the dust off of Reaktor 5, and try my hand at some homegrown DSP-based guitar synthesis.  But that would be like falling down six rabbit holes at the same time.  :)
Made me laugh real hard.

drewfx1

This is on my to do list as well.

mbenigni

oddguitar

Quote from: mateomasfeo on July 30, 2014, 05:08:06 PM

I am ecstatic over the ease in using the mag pickups and accessing the qualities of the individual guitar!  It makes such a difference in this regard over the 99 - which is recalcitrant at best.

Lot's of tonal variety that is easy to access and mix with the hex.  This alone makes the GP10 a pure pleasure...

My feelings as well.  I feel like the Roland engineers really did a good job of making the GP10 fun and intuitive to use from a real world gigging guitarist point of view, which has not always been Roland's forte with the VG/GR line IMHO. Having alternate tunings, the ability to convert to a twelve string, or alternate between acoustic and electric tones at the press of a foot switch is fantastic.  No kidding about the COSM Strat sounding better than the actual pickups in the GC1...

oddguitar

BobTheDog

Go for it.

I have mine feeding a Kyma system, I constantly fail at pulling myself out of the rabbit holes!

jassy

Quote from: Elantric on July 31, 2014, 05:32:15 AM
On the Boss GP-10, many factory presets already incorporate use of the Normal Mag Pickups and working three way "Guitar/Mix/GK Synth" selector switch on Gk-3  - or COSM / Normal PU toggle on the CTL #1 pedal.

Read the Boss GP-10 Sound Sheet patch description column "Normal PU ON/OFF" here:

Oh, that was it, for a momment I thought it was some special feature, I have always used magnetic pickup on my VG99, is actually not so difficult.

vurnt99

Hello From Lisbon!

I'm here for a festival performance Portugal at Jazz em Agosto w/ James Blood Ulmer and the Memphis Blood Blues Band. Before I left, I got a surprise call from a reliable source at Boss  (we met years ago via Roland U.S. rep Bob Duncan). One of the things he mentioned in passing is that the GP-10 may be the basis for an even more advanced V-Guitar product if sales are good enough to justify it.

I believe that product will be the actual VG-99 replacement We've been anticipating. You heard it here first!

mbenigni

Quote from: vurnt99 on August 01, 2014, 07:23:40 AM
Hello From Lisbon!

I'm here for a festival performance Portugal at Jazz em Agosto w/ James Blood Ulmer and the Memphis Blood Blues Band. Before I left, I got a surprise call from a reliable source at Boss  (we met years ago via Roland U.S. rep Bob Duncan). One of the things he mentioned in passing is that the GP-10 may be the basis for an even more advanced V-Guitar product if sales are good enough to justify it.

I believe that product will be the actual VG-99 replacement We've been anticipating. You heard it here first!

Awesome - thanks, Vernon!  One more reason to buy a GP-10...