Boss - cheaper deals in Japan ?

Started by Headless68, February 06, 2017, 07:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

My son is going to Tokyo in May - just wondered if I should reserve any suitcase space for gear (maybe an SY300) if there are better deals over there -  anyone have any knowledge / advice in this area ?

Thanks
Headless

admin

Any savings gets erased when you return thru customs and must pay import tariff

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f29/buying-guitars-directly-from-japan-the-great-guitar-store-list-104657.html

chrish

Is used gear subject to the same tariff? I heard somewhere that used gear is a good deal to buy in japan due to something about electric codes or product obsolecence?

gumtown

Depends on the Customs and Border Security rules for each country,
here in NZ items are subject to a 15% Goods and Services (GST) tax when brought into the country.
Some countries may tax musical instrument goods with an import tariff.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Weird though it is, everything Roland that I see listed ( at least from OZ on eBay JP ) is about 2-3 times the price I can get it for elsewhere in the Globe...   Dunno how that happens, but it's incredibly consistent..

...mind you,  DT may change things for some people soon with an Executive Order or two...   :o

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

chrish

I almost purchased a new old stock mini moog voyager rme from austrailia. However moog will not warrenty  it in the US, would have to send it to austrailia for sevice.

I also called US customs to find out the import fees and had a very strange convesation with a nice lady from homeland security.

i wonder if it had something to do with the keyword 'moog'.

There is another company with moog in the name, and i believe they make military
hardware.

Couldn't find out the import duty fees, without using a broker. Too much trouble to import music gear.