VG-99 - Playing Live Bass and Rhythm Guitar Live at the same time.

Started by padr81, January 04, 2012, 08:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

padr81

So Im in a covers band thats down a bassist and we have no bass player available to finish out our booking so I've decided I'm going to do both on a couple of songs. On others I'll just play bass using the VG99.

How would you guys recommend I set up?

Heres what Im thinking of doing.

Patch 1 - Bass Only
Set up 1 patch for the tracks where I play bass only with my bass sound lets call it for ex "bass patch1".  Bass patch1 uses only 1 of the guitars amps and channels. Pan it all to the VG99's left output.  On this channel I will set bass level to 100 on my e,a,d and g strings.

Patch 2 - Bass on chords
Set up patch 2 with "bass patch 1" going out the left patch and "rhythm guitar" going down the right.  Bass patch 1 will be set to lvl 100 on the low e string and 0 on the 5 others. "rhythm guitar" will be set to 100 on all channels. 

Patch 3 - Doubler.
Patch 3 will be for playing single note riffs. Again bass patch 1 will go down the left and Rhythm guitar down the right.  Bass Patch 1 will have all strings set to 100 and Rhythm Guitar will have all strings set to 100.

The reasoning for this is I can run the 2 outputs into the mixing desk and once the bass has a set volume, i can use the next channel on the desk to adjust guitar volume as it varies between certain songs. I can turn down the distorted rhythm for softer songs etc.....

Any other advice of tips so I can do two jobs (well 3 cause i do sound as well) while I get paid for one.
Will this work? Of course it means when playing chords I'll have to play barre and power chords along the low e string and at times i'll have to be quick on the feet to switch between patches.  We have a lead player so there are times when I can play bass only, hence why I've included that.  Any other tips or advice on what kind of patches I should set up.

sixeight

I am often in the same situation as you are. For maximum flexibility I use the following solution. I use the following script on my Macbook: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2967.0. I load a virtal bass plugin on my mac and play that one.

This gives me the option to use a bass sound on any patch. Also the bass only plays on the lowest string. The bass sound can be routed to the soundcard of the Mac, so the VG guitar sounds are still stereo.

But you will need a Macbook.

I have considered buying a GR55 for synth and bass sounds, but haven't bit the bullet yet. I am quite happy with the performance of the guitar to midi of the VG99.