VG-99 - Led Zeppelin - "Rain Song" patch & mp3 demo

Started by Elantric, January 26, 2008, 11:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Acoustic Guitar, Control 1 on VG sets 12 string, Control 2 on VG sets tuning for Led Zeppelins Rain Song.

Author: Brent Flash

Brent Flash wrote:
All Flash patches have the GK-3 volume disabled and is a tone and most have the switches changing the pickups. Keep the GK-3 volume knob (now tone) about half way to start out and adjust from there. Also these patches are not intended to be used with the regular pickups. If you use a mix of GK and regular pickups on any alternate tuning patches they will sound pretty bad. I programed these with the FC-300 but have put some features on the VG-99's control buttons. There is also a tap tempo that controls the delay in some cases on Control 2 on the VG. If you are using the FC-300 with your VG-99 and are using extra switches and CV pedals you will find that there are solo, effects levels, etc. assigned to the external controls. You can look in the editor to see what is what or just experiment to see what happens. If you have any question please feel free to post them. I hope everyone will find these useful.

dead_lizard

Why a footswitch for the tuning?

The whole song's in that tuning.

For some reason this patch sounded really whack to me. Maybe my setup's different to yours. Someone (you?) sent me a great Rain Song patch in the other forum which was head and shoulders above this one....which I proceeded to misplace :(

You know what would be a good feature for a Rain Song patch? A nice tape delay pedal for the last chord...chord....chord.......chord......chord!! hahaha

Will post a nice nylon patch for you guys when I unpack my VG again. So sick of carting it around and then setting it back up in the studio. Would be nice to have a second system, a backup......but that's really decadent isn't it. There are people in the world that can't afford a Crybaby and here I am daydreaming about having two 99s. This machine has really gotten under my skin!!!

BTW: how much lighter is this unit than the 88!!!!!??  That thing was a beast to lug around, and what's more it used to get quite hot after a few hours of use. The 99 never loses it's cool.

My preciousssssssssss..........

Elantric

The other Rain song patch is here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173.msg616#msg616

Author: Soundscape (AtotheT
Wait for the full page to load - Locate a patch on the right you wish to download.
Hover your mouse arrow over the "Patch" icon, Right Click(Mac CTRL +Click) and choose "Save Link As" and it will download.

dead_lizard

dead_lizard

Whenever I try to open these patches I get:"Cannot read files of this type"

Does this mean I have to upgrade my firmware?  :-[

Quote from: sustainiac on January 29, 2008, 05:18:01 PM
The other Rain song patch is here:

http://vg99.webstandards101.org/vg-99.html

Author: Soundscape
Wait for the full page to load - Locate a patch on the right you wish to download.
Hover your mouse arrow over the "Patch" icon, Right Click(Mac CTRL +Click) and choose "Save Link As" and it will download.

Elantric

What version VG-99 Editor are you runnning?

As discussed in the thread titled "Top Things to know"

* VG-99 ships with CD-ROM containing stale drivers and older VG-99 Editor / Librarian version 1.00
* Latest VG-99 Editor / Librarian Version 1.01 is required to share patches.

dead_lizard

My bad!

I thought it was just the mac version that was stale for some reason.

I had been able to share other patches, they must have been v1.0 patches.

Elantric

Hey no worries - glad we got you sorted and functioning

Elantric

dead_lizard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:    Reply with quote
Ah, you see I only have the one toggle on my guitar. I combined SW1 and SW2 into a single switch.

...First time I ever regretted it hahaha.

Yeah I agree they should look more closely into how they model the guitars (and maybe start supporting an optional 5-way switch in the GK kit) and the amps for that matter. Sounds are part of the equation. Layout is equally important.

dead_lizard
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject:    Reply with quote
here is a quick version of the intro i whipped up with that. I lowered the overall volume, then the layer of the (now) open G drone. Think I still need to bring down the g and d strings. I think there is an overdubbed hollowbody on the recording. will try and and this to your patch...

dead_lizard

A2theT

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Elantric

Rain song MP3 using Andrew Turners VG-9 patch - played by dead_lizard

A2theT

Quote from: sustainiac on February 10, 2008, 10:54:33 PM
Rain song MP3 using Andrew Turners VG-9 patch - played by dead_lizard

Yup,  great job.  Its all about the picking and the VG-99 can't do that for you.  yet...........;-)
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

mos6507

Sounds "quacky" to me.  Are you using a strat model anywhere?  It also sounds like you have "partial" 12-string.  Jimmy used the doubleneck on this live but only the 6-string portion as the top neck was in standard tuning for The Song Remains the Same which normally preceded it.  It's a nice patch but it's probably closer to Robbie Blunt "Big Log" than a Jimmy Page sound.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

Brent Flash

Not really trying to get his sound. Like I said it is what I use live, my sound for the song.

It's got a custom guitar model and a slight pad. It does have a little 12 mixed in to give some harmonic texture too. You can get nice variation using your fingers or pick.

Just having fun with it. That is what I am doing with these patches, I make them for me to use and I am passing them on to you guys if you want them.

You think I should take some of the Quack out of it?

mos6507

You might want to replace the Strat quack with some piezo and it might sound a little more appropriate, like the Unledded version or something.  But then I'm pretty much a Zep purist.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

Brent Flash

There is one of my acoustic patches on here somewhere that is going for the authentic sound. It is the one that someone was asking why have a button to turn off the alternate tuning. I have since improved it. I think Steve had posted it a while back. Maybe a month or so ago?

If you are looking for something like that and can't find it, let me know.

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking to come up with something new for live shows.

GeePeeAxe

I like this patch, cause I also like the electric version
on the DVD "The Song Remains The Same". For me it is
more expressive than the acoustic version...

Again, a lot of thanks to Brent!

Brent Flash

Quote from:  GeePeeAxe on April 23, 2008, 03:51:15 PM
I like this patch, cause I also like the electric version
on the DVD "The Song Remains The Same". For me it is
more expressive than the acoustic version...

Again, a lot of thanks to Brent!

Thanks for your feed back. I have taken a little mid range out around 800Hz to get some of the "quack" out. But I find that I can vary the tone with playing technique. So I am pretty happy with it. I have a new patch for "Kashmir" but I am a little hesitant to put it up. The Led Zeppelin purists will probably not like it. It is more like Metallica playing Led Zeppelin.

mgbrad

I think this patch is AMAZING!!!  I was addicted to it when I first loaded it up on my VG.  I think it's genius.  Looking forward to more patches by you Brent.

mgbrad

Brent Flash

Quote from:  mgbrad on October 23, 2008, 05:17:33 PM
I think this patch is AMAZING!!!  I was addicted to it when I first loaded it up on my VG.  I think it's genius.  Looking forward to more patches by you Brent.

mgbrad
Welcome to the group mgbrad!  :D

And thanks for the kind words about the patch. We have found that string sensitivity can play a big part in how the patches respond so experiment with that a little and don't let them get too high for some of the guitar patches. The synth patches need it a little hot, IMHO.

I have a few other patches that I really like spread through the patch area, let me know how you like them. Thanks!
Patch Preview alert! I am working on some "Hotel California" patches that I am using live. I hope to have them posted with demos in the next couple of weeks.

zippy

When trying to tune for Rain Song , the only way I can tune is with  D+1  OR G-4.  How do I get a straight tuning for this , or am I way off track.  Thanks.......

Brent Flash

Here is a patch for Rain Song. You can look at how it is set up.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,112.0.html

Brent Flash

zippy

Just cant get these to download. I am just curious as to the exact tuning you guys use. When I go into the alt tuning screen I cant select D-G-C-G-C-D without a + or - on some of the strings. I am asuming these are octives but not sure. Keep in mind that I am old school and this computer stuff is killin me !!  Thanks.  Chris.......

Brent Flash

Quote from:  zippy on April 28, 2009, 09:31:37 AM
Just cant get these to download. I am just curious as to the exact tuning you guys use. When I go into the alt tuning screen I cant select D-G-C-G-C-D without a + or - on some of the strings. I am asuming these are octives but not sure. Keep in mind that I am old school and this computer stuff is killin me !!  Thanks.  Chris.......
Hey Chris, no worries. Computers are new to everyone at some point. You will get it. To download, just click on the file at the bottom left. Example: FlashLZRainSong.mid
Then you IMPORT SMF in your VG-99 Editor. If you need step by step on this let me know. There are posts on here that you can find by doing a search in the HOME area of the forum that discus this and give instructions but if you can't find them let us know.
The tuning is: from low to high, -2, -2, -2, 0, +1, -2
This is interesting because I just got in from working a show with Randy Jackson of ZEBRA doing the Music of LED ZEPPELIN with the Rapides Symphony Orchestra. They did this tune and many others. I had some interesting conversation about how they deal with the alternate tunings and believe it or not they tune on the fly and don't use guitars already set for that tuning. I guess they do it enough that it is second nature to them. I like the fact that you can press a button and be in the tuning with the VG-99.

more details here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0