VG-99 - Hand Drums using COSM Acoustic Vari

Started by rolandvg99, July 09, 2013, 12:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandvg99

A patch I've worked on which utilizes the resonance in the COSM Acoustic Vari mode. Use slapping and finger tapping to play this patch or else it'll sound like a guitar ready for some repairman action. Mute strings to avoid unwanted artifacts. I use my fretting hand or my fretting hand elbow to mute depending on what I want to achieve/play.

Ch B resides on G-3 to E-1 while Ch A occupies A-5 and D-4. I use CH A as edge sounds and CH B for centre.

FC-300 Controls
EXP 1 A/B balance.

VG-99 Controls
F1 CH A body type
F2 CH B body type
F5 CH A body size - CCW higher pitch, CW lower pitch
F6 CH B body size - CCW higher pitch, CW lower pitch

Demo
Hand Drums

Demo uses Banjo model for the first four parts. Fifth part uses Metal body. Recorded using Möbius 2 looper.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

cell7

damn thats awesome! Gonna give this a go tonight.

mbenigni

Smash

Holy schmoly! Awesome programming. Seriously who'd have thought this was possible?

Inspiring stuff  :)

rolandvg99

Thx for the kind words guys. Hope the next VG incarnation will build on what's already there instead of "dumbing" things down too much like with the GR range.  8)

aliensporebomb

After hearing this I think it would be pretty doable to do roto tom models as well. 

Pretty darn cool if you ask me.  When I tried Asle's drum samples in a live concert approach you could see people wondering how I was doing it.  The 99 still has capacity to surprise!  Big eyes!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

maxdaddy

Asle,
Nothing that you program in this box will surprise me anymore!

I used to see the titles of your postings and think "yeah right!", but lately when I see something ridiculous like "Hand Drums"  :D  I think... "holy crap, he's done it again!"

Thanks for sharing the patches, demos, and for the detailed descriptions. I've learned a lot from tearing the patches apart and seeing how you do it.

Smash

These sounds you're creating now are so incredibly organi-logue (bit of George Dubyah word creation there!).

I'm wondering if part of this can be weaved into a decent finger style steel acoustic sound? I've yet to hear any patch come close to an "in the room finger played steel acoustic" - you know the thump of the thumb and string noises?

rolandvg99

Thx, Scott.
Dunno about the "in the room finger played steel acoustic" stuff, but I bet you're the right person to give it a shot.  8)

Richard Maxwell

I just found this patch and I think it's absolutely genius!  Thank you for posting the patch.  I've been looking for a way to do something like this with the VG99 for some time.

rolandvg99

Quote from: Richard Maxwell on March 02, 2014, 06:13:21 PM
I just found this patch and I think it's absolutely genius!  Thank you for posting the patch.  I've been looking for a way to do something like this with the VG99 for some time.

Thx, Richard. Glad you liked it.

Tip. Create a New GK setting based on your everyday one and play with the sensitivity to achieve the desired effect.